Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy phone calls

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just had somone trying to get my wife personal details over the phone she said no thank you and checked the number which showed it is dodgy.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just had somone trying to get my wife personal details over the phone she said no thank you and checked the number which showed it is dodgy.

hang up no coversation is always best

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

With you there, I must be the luckiest motorist in UK with all the alleged accidents I have been involved in according to all these dodgy calls I got.
Ended up buying a new home phone from BT which I can screen calls now.
Just ignore the *******s :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With you there, I must be the luckiest motorist in UK with all the alleged accidents I have been involved in according to all these dodgy calls I got.
Ended up buying a new home phone from BT which I can screen calls now.
Just ignore the *******s :)

i enjoy the accident calls, in that I see how long they last before hanging up.

They don't usually last beyond

When was the accident
yes but when in the last 3 years
You must have that detail as you told me you have the file
Which vehicle was it

I have loads more questions lined up but never get to ask them

This seems to work as after a couple of attempts they give up on me, and I have peace and quiet for some months

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
i enjoy the accident calls, in that I see how long they last before hanging up.

They don't usually last beyond

When was the accident
yes but when in the last 3 years
You must have that detail as you told me you have the file
Which vehicle was it

I have loads more questions lined up but never get to ask them

This seems to work as after a couple of attempts they give up on me, and I have peace and quiet for some months

This - the calls used to really annoy me but I now take a seat and enjoy the conversation...

'We're ringing about your accident'

'Which one ?'

'Ah you've had an accident ?'

'Have I ?'

Etc........

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
My favourite is the call from Microsoft about a problem with your PC they have been alerted to. I string them along for about 5 mins when they say hit the Windows key on the keyboard and I tell them I can't see that on my keyboard. I then ask them if I should expect to have one on my Mac......instant hang up!

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I've had so many like this come through recently on my phone which gives location of call. All have been within England but an Indian man has answered my calls. Getting about 5 a week now and getting a bit annoying

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
If it's a female caller just start talking dirty - they soon hang up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Used to get them all the time. Really all the time, many days a week. Where they got my number from I have no idea - I work in technology and am very careful who I give my personal details to. To put that into context some lecturers at University a few years ago (I went back at an old student )were experts in security. I knew one who didn't have an online bank account because he had a far idea how to crack in...

Anyone I digress and am not an expert on security, but had to do something - so out of desperation engaged them in conversion. My favourite was to put on a West Country accent and tell them I had been engaged in an accident but involved a tractor and a Kangaroo.

That's a lovely one especially if you are dealing with someone who doesn't understand local cultural references.

I dragged it out for an hour. Even got the address of their "UK" office. Cooincindently ( but apparently it's quite a common one) it's actually a restaurant in Wandsworth not far from me.

Afterwards I got some abusive phone calls from them telling me I had broken the laws of the "UK Police criminal agency" but the calls stopped. I was interviewed on Radio 5 live about it alongside some from the Welsh assembly. His tactic was to drop Welsh words into the sentence.

Point being ? Waste their time for at least 30 mins.

They are criminals. Waste thier time ( not yours ) have a bit of fun and the calls stop.

Had the same fun with London based bailiffs. Probably someone lived in my property years ago but I opened a threatening letter. They even threatened to "report me to the police" when they realised it wasn't me on the basis I had opened someone else's post.

Get it ? Throw it back. Another tactic being can you give me home phone number so I can ring you when you get home, whilst politely praising them for working out of hours.

It works, they soon **** off.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This - the calls used to really annoy me but I now take a seat and enjoy the conversation...

'We're ringing about your accident'

'Which one ?'

'Ah you've had an accident ?'

'Have I ?'

Etc........

Had one the other day and went along for a bit then asked if I was still allowed a claim as I'd had 7 pints and several pills that night...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I sometimes go with "TERRY. TEEEERRRRRYYYYY. IS THAT YOU ? TERRY YA WANKER"
Whatever they say I insist that they're my best mate Terry having a laugh with me.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have call number display, so if I don't recognise the number, I don't answer. If it's genuine, they leave a voicemail.
The calls have got fewer & fewer. I think I've had just one this week.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No no. I like nothing better than going along with it and say let me just dig out the details you need and I'll be right back.
Then just leave them hanging there and don't say anything else!!

I like to put them on speaker phone, go back to what i was doing and say random stuff to them occasionally. At least when they are wasting time with me they are not bothering someone else.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a Minion fart gun (my gf loves the Minions, and it seemed an appropriate Christmas gift). Never has there been a better time to use it than when receiving these calls.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I sometimes go with "TERRY. TEEEERRRRRYYYYY. IS THAT YOU ? TERRY YA WANKER"
Whatever they say I insist that they're my best mate Terry having a laugh with me.

Going to do this next time. Definitely.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have call number display, so if I don't recognise the number, I don't answer. If it's genuine, they leave a voicemail.
The calls have got fewer & fewer. I think I've had just one this week.

We even get calls from the local chemist to inform when prescriptions are ready, they come as witheld number.
Also local hospital called me to inform of appointment, witheld number.
Lucky we have answer phone :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here