Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Litter Wardens

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
MORE than 40 litter louts and flytipping felons have been caught out by litter wardens in their first fortnight operating in the city.

Staff working for private firm 3GS Environmental Solutions have issued 42 fines in the first two weeks of a new agreement with Brighton and Hove City Council to crack down on waste being dumped in city streets and laybys.

The company’s bosses told The Argus that their staff will not “target” any particular offenders or have to meet any targets for a number of fines.

Opposition councillors warned that the success of the scheme would not be measured in how many fines were issued but whether it acted as a serious enough deterrent to repeat flytipping offenders.

The new scheme launched earlier this month allowing 3GS staff with body cameras to roam the streets looking for offenders.

Offenders face a £75-on-the-spot fine if caught in the act of fly-tipping, littering, flyposting, graffiti, dog fouling or disposing of commercial waste illegally.

Good for the city or nanny state?

Discuss

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1439...n_first_fortnight_of_litter_warden_crackdown/

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I just hope that the focus is on the important and most serious offenders, and not some old lady who accidently loses a five pound note out of her purse on a windy day.
If these warders are out on the streets of the town they ain't going to catch many fly-tippers.
Overall, if it pays for itself, improves the place we live in, and inconveniences the scum who do it, I don't have a problem.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Excellent idea. Hope any profits they make will go into helping to clear the hundreds of miles of motorway and dual carriageway verges of the horrendous litter that I see every single day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Excellent idea. Hope any profits they make will go into helping to clear the hundreds of miles of motorway and dual carriageway verges of the horrendous litter that I see every single day.

Nail......on...... Head

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
send some litter Wardens over to Eastbourne please

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Great idea. In turn the council really need to make sure that rubbish bins are emptied and that there are stubbing out posts for smokers. Last week I went to the skate park at the lagoon and the bins were full up and overflowing. there needs to be a telephone number on the side of bins to ring if they are overflowing. I phoned the council and they said that they would send someone.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Great idea. In turn the council really need to make sure that rubbish bins are emptied and that there are stubbing out posts for smokers. Last week I went to the skate park at the lagoon and the bins were full up and overflowing. there needs to be a telephone number on the side of bins to ring if they are overflowing. I phoned the council and they said that they would send someone.

But should you have to? Isn't that part of the service that we pay our Council Tax for? Overflowing bins at the lagoon during school holidays should hardly come as a shock to the Council. Shouldn't be down to us to tell the Council to get on and do the job that we are paying them to do. Just IMO of course!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Absolutely right. Apparently the UK has more CCTV cameras pointed at the public than any other country - it would be nice if just a few of them could be alongside the bypass, especially by the Patcham junction. The fines would pay for them within a week. Probably pay for the bypass if you left them up for a while.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The M/A27 are a utter disgrace. Went to hospital yesterday,on the way there there must have been hundreds of tons of rubbish in the verges. Luckily I've got a dash cam now and if it films any driver throwing their rubbish out of the window they will be reported.
If they were at home would they throw their rubbish on the lounge carpet...maybe they would they are that disgraceful.
I went into Brighton last year and the car in front a woman passenger threw out a plastic bag full of cans and fast food packs, I stopped ,picked up her rubbish,caught them at the lights,went over and tipped the bag on her lap and Said,excuse me madam but I think you have lost this....hope they get a HEAVY fine..but will probably get a slap on the wrist and given a pound out of the poor box. I have friends from overseas who come and stop at my house and I'm ashamed to take them out sometimes looking at the filthy state of our verges.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The council won't get much profit. From the full article (in the link)

The contract is being run at no cost to the authority with the contractor retaining the majority of income from issued penalties and the council receiving a smaller proportion.​

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Fantastic idea. Fed up off poo on the street and the owners not picking up after their dog.
Wish they would do the same here.

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
What about the kind people who leave usable trinkets outside their house so that less affluent people can get some use out of them? I saw a nice box of kids shoes put outside someones house the other day, in good nick, which could have saved a less well off family a sizable chunk of money. Would these people now face fines for littering/fly tipping therefor putting them off future alturistic acts?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
the council really need to make sure that there are stubbing out posts for smokers.

I'm very firmly in the anti-smoking camp but even I find that a bit extreme. Surely they could be give a caution along with the fine?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here