Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove buses ripping people off with price rises

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Normal across the world to increase cash fares for this purpose. It speeds up boarding and reduces dwell times.

B&H Buses ticketing was stone age until recently (the scratchcard day tickets that took time to inspect, etc) so they need to do *something* to push people on.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Disgusting parasitic money grabbing disgrace of a company. Inflation and fuel prices are low, but the tossers at the top still want to rinse us for every penny they can.

£5 for a saver, **** off.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Also increasing network savers on key and mobile. Reducing boundary for standard saver

When I worked for the Council as a public transport planner - years and years ago - we devised a pilot scheme in partnership with the bus company, to encourage people using buses to Mile Oak to pay in advance, rather than slow boarding times by having everyone queue to pay with cash. It worked and passenger numbers increased significantly.

For the bus company, a young Martin Harris was part of the project. I'm glad to see that he continues to apply the lessons that were learned back then. Cheaper fares for regular passengers and folk pay more if they only travel rarely.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Why wouldn't you use a mobile phone or keycard? It's so simple.
Tourists, people visiting friends for a weekend, etc.

edit should say I do agree with you though, for regular passengers there really is no excuse.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I walk everywhere now, bus prices put me off completely so unless I'm in a rush or am getting multiple busses I just don't bother with them anymore, they prey on the fact they KNOW thousands across Brighton have no choice but to use the bus.

'The i7 will go from the station to the i360 via Palace Pier before looping back round to Churchill Square and will run every 30 minutes.' that's what your money's paying for :rant:

If B&H Buses had got things wrong, Brighton and Hove would have seen a significant decline in bus ridership, like pretty much everywhere else in the country, outside London. But that's not been the case. The number of passengers using buses in Brighton has DOUBLED in recent years.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If B&H Buses had got things wrong, Brighton and Hove would have seen a significant decline in bus ridership, like pretty much everywhere else in the country, outside London. But that's not been the case. The number of passengers using buses in Brighton has DOUBLED in recent years.

That could be because the cost/ability to park anywhere within the central areas of Brighton & Hove has become too expensive/impossible. People can either walk, cycle or get the bus.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a 700 man myself. A day saver is £3.80. So much quicker into town (and nicer along the seafront). Plus after 7pm its a flat rate £2 return. In fact I think its £2 anywhere after 7pm, so you could in theory go to PORTSMOUTH for £2, if you so wished.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Normal across the world to increase cash fares for this purpose. It speeds up boarding and reduces dwell times.

B&H Buses ticketing was stone age until recently (the scratchcard day tickets that took time to inspect, etc) so they need to do *something* to push people on.

Agree, therefore drop the prices of those paying in advance in line with low inflation and fuel prices, and leave the other prices as were.

By reducing the boundary it is probably going to put an end to popping over to Lewes for a pint or two as well.

That could be because the cost/ability to park anywhere within the central areas of Brighton & Hove has become too expensive/impossible. People can either walk, cycle or get the bus.

It's called an Integrated Transport Policy.

The alternative is to expand the amount of parking available in the city centre - and there simply isn't enough spare land to do that.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's called an Integrated Transport Policy.

The alternative is to expand the amount of parking available in the city centre - and there simply isn't enough spare land to do that.

No it's called a monopoly. People will keep paying so long as it's the only option. The alternative is to not hike up the prices for no reason and rip people off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here