Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Lambert: Blackburn Rovers manager seeks Venky's clarification

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Looks like Rovers troubles are not going away . Are they going the same way as Bolton if the Venkeys get bored ?

Manager Paul Lambert hopes Blackburn Rovers' owners will clarify plans after debts of more than £100m were revealed in accounts released to shareholders.

Rovers will lose the services of director Alan Myers, who has decided to stand down from his post having joined the club in February 2014.

Venky's, run by the Rao family that owns the club, are based in India.

"There has to be leadership and talking about how to reduce the debt," Lambert told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"I saw the accounts like they were, you can't just magic that sort of thing out of the air.

"There are a lot of football fans that watch, it's their club, I'm sure they want to know what's going on."

Debts of £102.4m were revealed on the day Rovers' Lancashire rivals Burnley announced a profit of £30.1m, while Bolton Wanderers had reported debts of £172.9m before their recent takeover.

Lambert arrived at Ewood Park in November 2015, stating the appointment could bring in "an exciting era" for the club.

He inherited a post at a club with then-debts of £79.8m and under a Football League transfer embargo.

The sale of Jordan Rhodes to Middlesbrough brought in crucial finances that are not included in the published figures.

Former Aston Villa boss Lambert is insistent that ambitions cannot be affected by the off-field situation.

"I never came here for mediocrity, I want to try to get out of the league," he added. "To do that we need good players and big players. There are good players at this club, but you need a bit of help.

"I know the plan I want, but I will know in the next week or so."

Lambert said Rovers had endured some "big blows" in the past few seasons, following relegation from the top flight in 2011-12.

The Venky's ownership has not been universally popular, with fan protests previously held.

Myers' exit will leave Rovers short of off-field representation at Ewood Park with much of the administration based in India.

Lambert is concerned he might be called into discussing business rather than football matters.

"I certainly hope not, that's not what I'm here for," he added. "The club has to have a figurehead, all successful clubs do have someone who pulls the strings off the pitch.

"You need someone, a leader, a chief executive or someone who has football knowledge who knows how to run a football club.

"Where the club goes now I don't know until we find out what's going to happen."

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Lambert appeared pretty clueless when manager of Villa. He just about staved off relegation every season. On reflection and with the benefit of hindsight, he probably done a brilliant job in near impossible circumstances. Given the turmoil and mismanagement at Blackburn by seemingly clueless foreign owners, he's probably doing a decent firefighting job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here