Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prescription Charges free in Wales and Scotland but £8.40 in England....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I am sure there is a rationale explanation for this but I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me please.

Thanks.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
April Fool!

we get charged for prescriptions 365 days of the year. Scottish universities also charge much less than English for their students tuition fees..

Edit actually appears Scottish universities are free if you are a Scottish resident

• The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) will pay these fees if you meet eligibility conditions; for example, if you are a Scottish resident and/or a qualifying non-UK EC student.
  • If you come from the Rest of the UK (RUK), universities in Scotland will charge you variable fees up to a maximum of £9,000 just like England and Wales.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the rational explanation is that local governments in Scotland and Wales have determined to allocate funding to prescriptions. as they receive more cash per head, it maybe affordable for them to do so, or they may be diverting cash away from other areas of healthcare.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
the rational explanation is that local governments in Scotland and Wales have determined to allocate funding to prescriptions. as they receive more cash per head, it maybe affordable for them to do so, or they may be diverting cash away from other areas of healthcare.

Thank you. Do we know why they receive more 'cash per head'?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've just read the attachment but I'm not sure it would equate to a 'small % of people'.

1 in 3 people get cancer, their prescriptions are free whilst having treatment. Diabetes is common too.
There are a lot of youngsters in full time education and thousands of pensioners.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
1 in 3 people get cancer, their prescriptions are free whilst having treatment. Diabetes is common too.
There are a lot of youngsters in full time education and thousands of pensioners.

1/3 people may get cancer but 1 in 3 people don't have cancer. The majority of people will be working, have no health problems and will pay prescription charges.

edit: in 2008 apparently only 20% of 'patients' paid prescription charges so maybe you were right. But you have to be sick to pay prescription charges so I still think that the majority of people in england would be eligible to pay the charges, even if they never have.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Surely the majority of the population are working people.

Working people who have health conditions. I in 50 women have thyroid problems, I know of several people with diabetes who go to work every day, and to look at them, you wouldn't know, but they're included. That's just a small sample.
People on low pay can also claim an exemption certificate.

The small percentage is not my idea but it explained in the link that I posted.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
1/3 people may get cancer but 1 in 3 people don't have cancer. The majority of people will be working, have no health problems and will pay prescription charges.

edit: in 2008 apparently only 20% of 'patients' paid prescription charges so maybe you were right. But you have to be sick to pay prescription charges so I still think that the majority of people in england would be eligible to pay the charges, even if they never have.

Thank you.

My other half has had chronic asthma since he was young. Asthma isn't covered, but he pays a yearly subscription of £104 which covers all medications. That will go up when it has run out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here