Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - four or five strikers to Euro 2016?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the make-up of the squad is one area that England have got badly wrong in some of the big international tournaments in the past 20 years or so.

Basically, strikers win you these things and we have usually taken four out of the 23. Many countries take five, and that's what I think we should be doing for France, not least because it is a strength of ours currently.

We have had various nightmares, taking four once including a teenage Walcott, not playing him, and seeing others get injured. The cupboard was bare.

My five would be Rooney, Kane, Welbeck, Sturridge and Vardy. At least a couple of those can adapt for the team anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the make-up of the squad is one area that England have got badly wrong in some of the big international tournaments in the past 20 years or so.

Basically, strikers win you these things and we have usually taken four out of the 23. Many countries take five, and that's what I think we should be doing for France, not least because it is a strength of ours currently.

We have had various nightmares, taking four once including a teenage Walcott, not playing him, and seeing others get injured. The cupboard was bare.

My five would be Rooney, Kane, Welbeck, Sturridge and Vardy. At least a couple of those can adapt for the team anyway.

Agreed.

The versatility of Dier (CM, CB, RB) and Milner (LM, CM, LB) easily frees up the extra slot.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The only person I feel a bit sorry for is Defoe, but that is because a) I rate the bloke as a finisher, even at that level and b) he has been utterly shafted in the past, notably 2006 and probably again in 2014. In 2010 he scored a vital finals group winner, in 2008 McClaren cocked up the qualification and in 2012 he didn't start a finals match.

But I just don't see how he gets in ahead of those five this time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only person I feel a bit sorry for is Defoe, but that is because a) I rate the bloke as a finisher, even at that level and b) he has been utterly shafted in the past, notably 2006 and probably again in 2014. In 2010 he scored a vital finals group winner, in 2008 McClaren cocked up the qualification and in 2012 he didn't start a finals match.

But I just don't see how he gets in ahead of those five this time.

Was discussing him a couple of days ago. Can't abide the chap, but he is as good a finisher as we have. Vardy has 'his' role though.

Your five are dependant on fitness of course though, and given Rooney, and especially Wellbeck and Sturridge's previous records, it's by no means certain they'll all be available.

Andy Carroll is not out of the equation either, if an injury opens a spot up. Plan C and all that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was discussing him a couple of days ago. Can't abide the chap, but he is as good a finisher as we have. Vardy has 'his' role though.

Your five are dependant on fitness of course though, and given Rooney, and especially Wellbeck and Sturridge's previous records, it's by no means certain they'll all be available.

Andy Carroll is not out of the equation either, if an injury opens a spot up. Plan C and all that.

Very much so. Carroll, Defoe, even Deeney could benefit from some injuries. And at one time Walcott would have been designated a striker. Under this scenario, he might even miss out.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton

Think that's pretty much spot on mate!

Kane and Vardy the best 2 by far. However Wellbeck and a fit uninjured Sturridge are great to have on the bench as each have goals in them. And Rooney if nothing else than for the experience!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I posted something similar the other day wondering who out of the 5 wouldn't go. After consulting odds checker the theory seems to be that he will take 6 midfielders and 6 front players given we normally go 3 up top. If you add Sterling to your 5, that is likely 6 leaving no place for theo.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

Hodgson has said that he's going to take five forwards and they seem to be the five you mention (which would also be my five). Walcott appears to be the reserve.

Sterling interestingly enough will go as a midfielder even though he'll likely be used on one side of a three pronged attack. Same with Lallana who is also quite versatile.

I think hodgson has got some great attacking options and will be bringing fresh forwards on around 60-70 minutes to run at tired defenders. Could be goals this summer.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Very much so. Carroll, Defoe, even Deeney could benefit from some injuries. And at one time Walcott would have been designated a striker. Under this scenario, he might even miss out.

I think Deeney is/was in negotiations to play for NI.

An England call up might have changed that though.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I'd take Carroll. The impact he makes as a sub for West Ham is superb, defenders don't like playing against him and if he they are preoccupied with dealing with the big man who isn't going to give them a minutes rest then that could free up space for our abundance of quick attackers. Peter Crouch and Jan Koller's goal records show what a massive target man can do at international level and Carroll for me has a lot more to his game than either of those two

Rooney, Welbeck, Vardy, Kane and Carroll

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I'd take Carroll. The impact he makes as a sub for West Ham is superb, defenders don't like playing against him and if he they are preoccupied with dealing with the big man who isn't going to give them a minutes rest then that could free up space for our abundance of quick attackers. Peter Crouch and Jan Koller's goal records show what a massive target man can do at international level and Carroll for me has a lot more to his game than either of those two

Rooney, Welbeck, Vardy, Kane and Carroll

My only problem with that is that in the friendlies we finally had a team where I could 'like' them. I know some have had issues but Carroll is just a player I cannot like either on or off the pitch.

I may sound a little daft but I would rather watch a team go out that I like than a team I hate go on and get to the final. Of course I would be happy if we won it but I would rather a grinning Harry Kane with the trophy than Carroll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here