Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

T20 Final vs West Indies Sunday

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How important is the result of the T20 final on Sunday against the West Indies.

Is the result now more important given the fact that we are not playing India.
If we had lost to India in the final & given the way we had played during the tournament
I think we would be very happy about our teams progress.

If we lose again to the West Indies will our progress in this tournament be as complimentary.

Reguardless of the result we can take comfort in the fact that we only lost to 1 team.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Great achievement to get to the final. Evenly matched final however a lot will hinge on how many runs Gayle scores.
I think England will keep the same XI but I would be tempted to drop Morgan and bring in Dawson to add to the slow bowling department.
Can you drop the skipper?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will "double-golden" Eoin be dropped?
I know he's Captain and we still won, but where is the contribution?
Could we not play him as 12th man?

You are joking, his tactics have been first class on when to use which bowler

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

The captain's work is well discussed in the changing room and tactics for each player sorted before they go on the pitch. England bat so far down that you could bring in an extra bowler.
I like Morgan but he has to scored runs as well as skipper the team.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

I'm not buying his tactical awareness being a reason why we have succeeded in this tournament.

I'm also not suggesting that we replace him as a batsman.

Our batting has far exceeded our bowling so far in this tournament.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morgan is due runs. Leave him in. T20 is so dependent on maybe one outstanding innings it's a bit of a lottery. We've done brilliantly to reach the final.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Indians who comment on Cricinfo are, in the main, a pretty unpleasant bunch. I'm glad they lost, but it's a shame we didn't get a crack at them in the final.

Who knows what will happen in the final, impossible to predict with any certainty.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Windies did incredibly well to come back against India ....I fear the worst.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
A lot depends on the pitch and the toss. Turning wicket will favour Windies and I imagine both teams will want to chase.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot depends on the pitch and the toss. Turning wicket will favour Windies and I imagine both teams will want to chase.
I agree, primarily because the West Indies chased down our 182 in our only loss so far.

But I suspect the toss is more important to the Windies than to us - we've defended totals twice now. Conversely, the West Indies haven't been put in first all tournament.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Windies did incredibly well to come back against India ....I fear the worst.

Agree that Windies look good and that was some come back. So doubt we will win..
but even losing in a world final is a massive achievement after our last outing in the World Cup.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure the result is that important. It will be good to win obviously, but not the end of the world. A lot of people had written off our chances due to the inexperienced players, hardly any IPL experience etc. Bodes very well for the future no matter what happens.

Having said that, England will win.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
None of our players play in the IPL and our T20 isn't Franchise Based, no wonder we are so useless.

I'm sure the ECB will be taking steps to sort out this mess.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
None of our players play in the IPL and our T20 isn't Franchise Based, no wonder we are so useless.

I'm sure the ECB will be taking steps to sort out this mess.

I suspect that the home crowd will be well behind the WI (they know the players and 'we want the people who beat us to go on and win' factors).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Think Andre Russell is key for WI as he's been superb in this tournament. They've proved that even when Gayle doesn't score they have other players who can step up, but then again so have we. Roy, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Moeen with Hales and Morgan both due a big score. Hard to call and should be a cracker.

Whichever way it goes England have done brilliantly to reach the final and that performance against NZ was one of the most complete I've seen. Play like that again and we'll win.

Come on England.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just shows that the IPL is hype over content.....see the "EPL" for further details.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here