Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bmw z3

Binney on acid

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Anyone on NSC ever owned one? I used to have an MGB and have owned a couple of Suzuki Cappuccinos in my time. I really fancy a 1.9 Z3. Any constructive advice please? Chandlers BMW don't involve themselves with 20 year old cars, as they have to provide a warranty. They didn't even know what insurance group they fall into! I don't fancy a Z4, and couldn't afford one anyway.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I had a Z3 2.2 sport. In 2003. It is still my fav car ever. As with all BMW's stick to the strait 6 or bigger. 4 cylinder bmws are rubbish

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Anyone on NSC ever owned one? I used to have an MGB and have owned a couple of Suzuki Cappuccinos in my time. I really fancy a 1.9 Z3. Any constructive advice please? Chandlers BMW don't involve themselves with 20 year old cars, as they have to provide a warranty. They didn't even know what insurance group they fall into! I don't fancy a Z4, and couldn't afford one anyway.

how about a Honda s2000?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can you do a cut and blow dry on Saturday before the Burnley game?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I had a Z3 2.2 sport. In 2003. It is still my fav car ever. As with all BMW's stick to the strait 6 or bigger. 4 cylinder bmws are rubbish

bmw-2002-11.jpg

Most 4 pots not all!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I actually looked into the Z3 the other day after re-watching this Top Gear episode.
Looks decent!

Top Gear - Middle East Special

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I always fancied one so I got myself one 18 months ago.
Great summer car, in the winter however, they leak like a sieve. Footwells end up full of water.
They're not that great at handling either.
Was a good car for a year, traded in for a Vauxhall insignia now, far better car in my opinion.

Buy one....get it out your system, then go sensible again.
Golf clubs didn't fit in the boot either

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As a lover of convertible sports cars, I can confirm that the Z3 is a very good car, as above the straight 6 is one of the best engines ever.
I started off many years ago with MGB Roadsters but when I spent more time looking under the bonnet than driving them I had to say farewell.
The Honda S2000 though is a brilliant car and very reliable.
Porsche Boxster is another, but I never really loved it, your backside is not close enough to the road, it doesn't feel like a sports car in the same way as the BMW or Honda does, great engine and feel though with great engineering.
BUT the best sports car I have driven, pound for pound is the MX5, for the money its is sublime. I had a British MK1 (pop up headlights) 1.8 in British racing green, roof down, sunny day zooming round the lanes and down to the beach puts a huge grin on your face.
I took the new MX5 out for the weekend a while ago, and it was just brilliant.
The only problem is when you get numbnuts who have never driven them instantly labelling them hairdressers cars etc, they want to get in one and drive it before saying ridiculous comments.
The MX5 has never had one bad write up and deservedly so, very reliable, stylish, cheapish, great accessories, hard top for the winter, loads of extras.
Anyway, the Z3, if its the one you want, go for it, very good car, but you would have got one cheaper 3 or 4 months ago.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Got one currently, R reg 60,000 miles ish and owned for 3 or 4 years. 1.9 petrol, slightly underpowered but its all about cruising around with the ( electric ) roof down and enjoying the good weather. Silver with red leather electric seats, recent new rear window, new tyres and a years MOT. Going to get rid of my BMW 330d coupe and the Z3 and buy a 330d/335d coupe convertible. Yours for £2500.00 or just come and have a drive free of charge just to get a feel for one. It's true the larger engines go better but mine will get almost 40 mpg on a run to Devon and back. PM me if you like, no obligation. I'm in Godalming in Surrey.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
As a lover of convertible sports cars, I can confirm that the Z3 is a very good car, as above the straight 6 is one of the best engines ever.
I started off many years ago with MGB Roadsters but when I spent more time looking under the bonnet than driving them I had to say farewell.
The Honda S2000 though is a brilliant car and very reliable.
Porsche Boxster is another, but I never really loved it, your backside is not close enough to the road, it doesn't feel like a sports car in the same way as the BMW or Honda does, great engine and feel though with great engineering.
BUT the best sports car I have driven, pound for pound is the MX5, for the money its is sublime. I had a British MK1 (pop up headlights) 1.8 in British racing green, roof down, sunny day zooming round the lanes and down to the beach puts a huge grin on your face.
I took the new MX5 out for the weekend a while ago, and it was just brilliant.
The only problem is when you get numbnuts who have never driven them instantly labelling them hairdressers cars etc, they want to get in one and drive it before saying ridiculous comments.
The MX5 has never had one bad write up and deservedly so, very reliable, stylish, cheapish, great accessories, hard top for the winter, loads of extras.
Anyway, the Z3, if its the one you want, go for it, very good car, but you would have got one cheaper 3 or 4 months ago.

The MX-5 was another car in the Top Gear Special, along with the Fiat Barchetta. Though I'm not a fan of the MX-5.
Not sure on the Boxter, the engine sounds lovely but costs double the Z3 (comparable age and mileage).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The MX-5 was another car in the Top Gear Special, along with the Fiat Barchetta. Though I'm not a fan of the MX-5.
Not sure on the Boxter, the engine sounds lovely but costs double the Z3 (comparable age and mileage).

I know what you mean but after driving one I loved the MX5, I am talking about the whole package, price, mpg, insurance, reliability, drive, etc etc, it really ticks all the boxes, it has the best gearbox I have seen.
Anyway, just a tip, never buy a soft top without testing that the roof doesn't leak, if it's a dry day put it through the car wash, a new roof fitted to the Z3 will cost you a lot of money. If it has a tip top service record it is good for 200k plus, that straight six is something else.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
PM me again as the mobile number doesn't seem to work. Landline maybe?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have a 2010 MX5 2.0 roadster coupe. Love it massive grin factor to drive. Very noisy on the Motorway and poor paint are the negatives. Always thought the Z3 looked great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here