Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Urgent Car Insurance Question

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Long story short, Tesco tried mugging me for £200+ extra on insurance renewal. Did a 'Go Compare' and have quotes for about what we were paying (for 5 years) with mugging Tesco. Quick question - has anyone had experience with any of these companies (especially dealt with a claim etc)? I've been told fully comp is fully comp so may as well go with cheapest:

1st Central (not sure i've heard of this co but apparently head office is Haywards Heath)

Endsleigh - assume it's the former football league sponsors

Hastings Essential - not sure if linked to Hastings Direct (who are listed more expensive btw)

Would like to go with 1st Central but worried they may be shit - all help appreciated - I've got to sort this evening btw :)

thanks NSC

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're all fine mate. Yes Hastings Essential is same company as hastings direct. A few less frills. Have used and would recommend. Yes 1st central are in haywards heath and have signs all over the station.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
1st Central (not sure i've heard of this co but apparently head office is Haywards Heath)

Endsleigh - assume it's the former football league sponsors

Hastings Essential - not sure if linked to Hastings Direct (who are listed more expensive btw)

They're all fine.

1st Central in HH.
Endsleigh in Cheltenham.
Hastings Essential - Hastings Budget.

I work with all of them and no issues with any.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great - have done 1st central now - appreciate all the comments - thanks :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My mum was with 1st Central and I couldn't believe it when I saw her renewal documents a year or so ago to see that they charge you an extra £50 just to renew - I'd never seen that before.

That said, having had a quick search not, it seems that this has become a bit of a tactic of some insurers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33952126/your-view-on-eye-watering-car-insurance-fees

Based on this, even if they have withdrawn the fee now, I'd avoid them because the way it was presented felt very under-handed to me. I suspect many people were getting hit by this £50 without ever realising.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My mum was with 1st Central and I couldn't believe it when I saw her renewal documents a year or so ago to see that they charge you an extra £50 just to renew - I'd never seen that before.

That said, having had a quick search not, it seems that this has become a bit of a tactic of some insurers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33952126/your-view-on-eye-watering-car-insurance-fees

Based on this, even if they have withdrawn the fee now, I'd avoid them because the way it was presented felt very under-handed to me. I suspect many people were getting hit by this £50 without ever realising.

Most car insurers do this now to be honest.
There's hardly any money made in premiums so they add fee's and charges for every amendment, inclusion, cancellation etc.

Not sure about the £50 renewal though, guessing it might have been due to a slight change in your Mum's (or vehicle's) details. If not, no idea.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
? I've been told fully comp is fully comp so may as well go with cheapest:

Fully comp is not always fully comp, there may be differences between one Insurer and another, even where they both have a 5 star policy rating.

Having a quick look at the 1st Central policy wording, there would seem to be a £50 fee for setting up the policy and then renewing it. It would also be worth checking the fees applicable for changes and cancellation between the Insurers you are looking at if there is likely to be a need to make alterations.

1st Central also use the automatic renewal option, which i personally detest and do not believe should be permitted.

There is also a limit of £1000 or 15% of the vehicle value (whichever is the lower) for audio and visual equipment regardless of whether it is standard or after fit.

Their terrorism exclusion applies to own damage cover, so if your vehicle was destroyed by a terrorist attack you would get nothing, whereas many other Insurers provide this cover.

There are various other minor differences in cover.

If it was me, I would not accept their restrictions in cover, but that is just me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure about the £50 renewal though, guessing it might have been due to a slight change in your Mum's (or vehicle's) details. If not, no idea.

No, it wasn't - they charged everyone £50 just to make an automatic no-changes renewal. As per that link I posted: "Which? found that one company, 1st Central, charged £50 to renew a policy, while most other companies process renewals for free."

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i swap insurance companies if they hike me £5 per month more,been with mine for 3 years and so far paying the same 175 full comp per year....depends what u want i only have legal cover and windscreen no extras.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No, it wasn't - they charged everyone £50 just to make an automatic no-changes renewal. As per that link I posted: "Which? found that one company, 1st Central, charged £50 to renew a policy, while most other companies process renewals for free."

Fair do's.
I've just had a quick read and see that 4 or 5 Insurers charge renewal fee's, but I imagine the fee's are included in the whole figure.

It's done so Insurers (such as 1st Central) can advertise some of the lowest premiums out there and then stick the premium on at the end.
Underhand tactic but all Insurers exploit their customers by adding premiums all over the place.

Not defending but added fee's are normal practice in almost every financial industry.

Best bet is just to search for the best deals and switch every year. Phone up your current Insurer and they'll likely beat the best quote and knock off the renewal fee.

D

Deleted User X18H

This will make you laugh . Between June 2012 and September 2014 I was a compliance analyst for 1st Central .

The reason they can charge an admin fee at renewal , which is non refundable (even during cooling off period) is because 1st Central or FCIM are actually an intermediary for Skyfire insurance. They will charge you £30 to change address £30 to change your name £30 to change your vehicle .

It's up to you.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Fair do's.
I've just had a quick read and see that 4 or 5 Insurers charge renewal fee's, but I imagine the fee's are included in the whole figure.

It's done so Insurers (such as 1st Central) can advertise some of the lowest premiums out there and then stick the premium on at the end.
Underhand tactic but all Insurers exploit their customers by adding premiums all over the place.

Not defending but added fee's are normal practice in almost every financial industry.

Best bet is just to search for the best deals and switch every year. Phone up your current Insurer and they'll likely beat the best quote and knock off the renewal fee.

Given that you are mixing up premiums and fees this would indicate to me that you are not talking with any degree of knowledge and are just trying to justify your waffle.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Given that you are mixing up premiums and fees this would indicate to me that you are not talking with any degree of knowledge and are just trying to justify your waffle.

???

If you're referring to me stating 'Premium' second para end of 1st sentence, than that's just me being tired, lazy and mistyping. Surely having read the post, you'd have seen through that mistake.
Or you just like being pedantic?

What's the waffle? That almost every insurer adds on fee's to the customer?

All I'm stating is that almost every Insurer adds on some sort of FEE to the PREMIUM one way or another. Whether it's included in the full premium, tacked onto the end (renewal) or slipped into the middle (amendments), almost every Insurer will try to make money out of their customers with fee's. It just varies as to where they place them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
???

If you're referring to me stating 'Premium' second para end of 1st sentence, than that's just me being tired, lazy and mistyping. Surely having read the post, you'd have seen through that mistake.
Or you just like being pedantic?

What's the waffle? That almost every insurer adds on fee's to the customer?

All I'm stating is that almost every Insurer adds on some sort of FEE to the PREMIUM one way or another. Whether it's included in the full premium, tacked onto the end (renewal) or slipped into the middle (amendments), almost every Insurer will try to make money out of their customers with fee's. It just varies as to where they place them.

I think it would be better if you went to bed and forget about this thread as your lack of knowledge is just being further demonstrated by each word you write..

Just to look at one part of your latest missive:

Whether it's included in the full premium......

Can you please explain to me how and why a fee would be included in the full premium. You will be aware that the premium is for the insurance risk being covered and is therefore subject to IPT. A fee is is for something that is not risk based and does not attract IPT, and therefore must be listed separately.

With your vast knowledge I look forward to your rationale, or will you again hide behind the tired and lazy excuse.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
With my recent experience of a) renewing and b) dealing with a claim via Tesco, I would always change insurer every year, without fail. I was with Aviva, got a new quote from elsewhere nd Aviva didn't give a monkey's when i called to see it they would compete. Saved myself over £50. Tesco's were rubbish with the claim and kept on giving us misleading info, so had to keep phoning when stuff didn't happen.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think it would be better if you went to bed and forget about this thread as your lack of knowledge is just being further demonstrated by each word you write..

Just to look at one part of your latest missive:

Whether it's included in the full premium......

Can you please explain to me how and why a fee would be included in the full premium. You will be aware that the premium is for the insurance risk being covered and is therefore subject to IPT. A fee is is for something that is not risk based and does not attract IPT, and therefore must be listed separately.

With your vast knowledge I look forward to your rationale, or will you again hide behind the tired and lazy excuse.

You are extremely passionate about your car insurance. Top marks.
So much 'sass' in your post though, banging out "or will you again hide behind the tired and lazy excuse.". :lolol:

If I didn't have to put up with the bore that is insurance Mon-Fri 9-5, I'd consider having a full conversation with you, and work on our differences (or disagreement?) in terminology. Which appears to be the route cause of your upset. Though I imagine you'll dispute this.

Let's learn to take ourselves a little less seriously, but you seem wound up, open ears over here fella'. Let it out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I noticed this when signing up but that £50 was part of the quote on go compare & still the cheapest option so doesn't make any odds to me where they attribute the £50 to. Does seem odd though...

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
This will make you laugh . Between June 2012 and September 2014 I was a compliance analyst for 1st Central .

The reason they can charge an admin fee at renewal , which is non refundable (even during cooling off period) is because 1st Central or FCIM are actually an intermediary for Skyfire insurance. They will charge you £30 to change address £30 to change your name £30 to change your vehicle .

It's up to you.

Doesn't do much for the image of the industry does it? I'm closing in on 30 years in the market and it still shocks me when I hear stuff like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here