Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton Trains

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Anybody bought their train tickets yet? What's the best deal you managed to get? Cheapest I can find is £37 return which seems quite expensive.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anybody bought their train tickets yet? What's the best deal you managed to get? Cheapest I can find is £37 return which seems quite expensive.

It's about £20 for a day ticket, all London zones, when you turn up at the station and use their ticket machines. £37!? Do not buy a ticket.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
3 or more travelling?

If so Super OffPeak Day Travelcard?

I was only searching for 1 when there's 4 of us, which has brought it down to £19! Thanks for your help.

It's about £20 for a day ticket, all London zones, when you turn up at the station and use their ticket machines. £37!? Do not buy a ticket.

Managed to find them for £19 now, thank you!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. I have been quoted 39 quid for a return from Gatwick to Victoria coming back Sunday. That doesn't seem right to me especially when you can get a day ticket including all London zones for £20. I have bought previously bought this from a machine at Gatwick. Anyone advise?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Okay. I have been quoted 39 quid for a return from Gatwick to Victoria coming back Sunday. That doesn't seem right to me especially when you can get a day ticket including all London zones for £20. I have bought previously bought this from a machine at Gatwick. Anyone advise?

That's a special hand crafted ticket, worth the extra money.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Don't look at returns look at two singles

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

The new Southern booking website is a pile of **** that throws up all sorts of crazy results. It appears to have been designed by a high school student as part of a GCSE project! Naturally when I emailed Southern last month, they claimed there was no problem although they would pass on my comments to their IT Charlie's. If you don't lose the will to live, have a read of this lot re Southerns 'new' booking system.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.southernrailway.com

http://www.hirschworks.com/southern-rail-online-booking/

Without researching, as I'm (sort of) busy at the moment, that price you quote sounds way ott and incorrect. I suspect its a quote for the Gatwick Express though.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'd also recommend for people who visit London a lot, getting a Network Railcard. It only covers the South East part of the network, but it's £30 for a year and can save you 1/3 on fares. For example it's about £12.50 for a Super Off Peak Travelcard from Brighton, which is insanely cheap. You can also use have up to four people travelling on the same card, which is a really good deal IMO.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The new Southern booking website is a pile of **** that throws up all sorts of crazy results. It appears to have been designed by a high school student as part of a GCSE project! Naturally when I emailed Southern last month, they claimed there was no problem although they would pass on my comments to their IT Charlie's. If you don't lose the will to live, have a read of this lot re Southerns 'new' booking system.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.southernrailway.com

http://www.hirschworks.com/southern-rail-online-booking/

Without researching, as I'm (sort of) busy at the moment, that price you quote sounds way ott and incorrect. I suspect its a quote for the Gatwick Express though.

Its not just me then, the old one worked the new one is just utter rubbish.

Why do I need to see a map of my journey, I know I am going from A to B and dont need a visual.
What has happened to Victoria tickets mornings on the week, all tickets shown are London Terminals only which used to be more expensive but can't check
Lots of stupid fares
Despite resetting passwork, all personal details have been lost so have to input details everytime

and on it goees

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd also recommend for people who visit London a lot, getting a Network Railcard. It only covers the South East part of the network, but it's £30 for a year and can save you 1/3 on fares. For example it's about £12.50 for a Super Off Peak Travelcard from Brighton, which is insanely cheap. You can also use have up to four people travelling on the same card, which is a really good deal IMO.

I used to have one of these, but as time went by the restrictions and caveats became crazy to the point I was almost unable to use it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I used to have one of these, but as time went by the restrictions abs caveats became crazy to the point I was almost unable to use it.

I believe the only three restrictions at the moment are a minimum fare on weekdays of £13, you can't use it on Advance tickets (which is fair enough I suppose), and the fact that you can't use it before 10am on a weekday. Weekends and Bank Holidays don't suffer from the minimum fair or 10am restriction though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
For anybody using west coastway services, the Southern numpties have done it again! Journey planner shows bus service from Worthing to Brighton (not sure where the restriction starts though).

Let's hope they have reinstated the double deckers this time. Last time I had to suffer "Ordeal by Southern" a few weeks ago, they decided to use lower capacity coaches and used drivers who didn't know the routes or where the pickup/set down points are at the stations. This was compounded by the Southern staff at every station between Worthing & Brighton going into hiding and not providing advice & assistance to travellers.

Respect though to the staff at Worthing who stayed at their post despite getting (deserved) crap from passengers who had to endure the appalling coach service.

If you are travelling on west coastway, don't rely on the coach/bus timetable. No attempt is made to keep to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here