Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radicalisation in Brighton

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thanks, a chilling and depessing read. It highlights the fault lines in the vain perception Brighton has of itself as as a "liberal" city and the fact that the city authorities are completely disorganised and ineffectual when it comes to handling racial discrimination, radicalisation and religious bigotry. That said, I suspect Brighton is by no means unique and that the scenario described in this article could apply to pretty much any town or city in the UK.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Very one sided article. Suggests the allegations made by the family are facts

Regardless of whether some things some people said were true or not, there are clearly issues here that are contributing to radicalisation – people in our society turning very much against us. This is the very serious point the article is making, which perhaps you're missing...

D

Deleted member 22389

Regardless of whether some things some people said were true or not, there are clearly issues here that are contributing to radicalisation – people in our society turning very much against us. This is the very serious point the article is making, which perhaps you're missing...

Yes religion. Please can we go back 20 years, the UK and Europe was a much nicer and better place.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Compelling read. I was aware of the problem of radicalisation, and how some of it had gone unnoticed, as a close friend of mine was also friends with the boy's mother.

I wasn't aware of the abuse they had to put up with in the earlier years though. That was an eye opener.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Yes religion. Please can we go back 20 years, the UK and Europe was a much nicer and better place.

Like, back to a time when there weren't home grown terrorists bombing, shooting and maiming civilians in our cities claiming to represent a religion seeking its own homeland...

Oh hang on....

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Like, back to a time when there weren't home grown terrorists bombing, shooting and maiming civilians in our cities claiming to represent a religion seeking its own homeland...

Oh hang on....

Weak argument. Give me the IRA years over the current problems all day long.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Oh hang on....
you seem to be a little sarcastic, can you let me know who it was who claimed to represent a religion seeking it's own homeland ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Weak argument. Give me the IRA years over the current problems all day long.

Really

Birmingham Pub Bomb
Manchester shopping Centre
Brighton Metropole and attack on the British Government
Hyde Park
Baltic Exchange
Nat West Tower
Various :London Mainline Stations
Mortar attacks on Downing Street

I could go on and on

But you what death and destruction from the IRA on a very regular basis in the UK to the present issues which are mainly away from the UK.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Compelling read.

I wasn't aware of the abuse they had to put up with in the earlier years though. That was an eye opener.

And we should believe all that without question should we? From The Guardian? The 'newspaper' that forgot to tell us the Muslim Glaswegian shopkeeper was murdered by another Muslim when it screamed of a 'religously motivated attack'?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thanks, a chilling and depessing read. It highlights the fault lines in the vain perception Brighton has of itself as as a "liberal" city and the fact that the city authorities are completely disorganised and ineffectual when it comes to handling racial discrimination, radicalisation and religious bigotry. That said, I suspect Brighton is by no means unique and that the scenario described in this article could apply to pretty much any town or city in the UK.

you know there's a bit of a problem if they are in sussex...!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I always thought radicalisation was something that went on in major cities with large religious numbers rather than something that goes on in Brighton.

The racial hatred that is reported is something that passed me by, I always thought that mainly Brighton was a liberal and easy going place with little issues of this nature.

I clearly need to get out more.

A distressing read

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And we should believe all that without question should we? From The Guardian? The 'newspaper' that forgot to tell us the Muslim Glaswegian shopkeeper was murdered by another Muslim when it screamed of a 'religously motivated attack'?

It was a religiously motivated attack, if you bothered to read widely about it.

As a comparison Catholics and Protestants are both Christians. Does that mean a Catholic has never killed a Protestant in a religiously motivated attack or vica versa?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Really

Birmingham Pub Bomb
Manchester shopping Centre
Brighton Metropole and attack on the British Government
Hyde Park
Baltic Exchange
Nat West Tower
Various :London Mainline Stations
Mortar attacks on Downing Street

I could go on and on

But you what death and destruction from the IRA on a very regular basis in the UK to the present issues which are mainly away from the UK.

One is simply about land. The other is about a permanent ideology. Thanks but my original statement still stands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here