Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] It's not your father's pub !

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A few seismic shifts to report that I am sure will please a few on here.

1 CAMRA to consult members of change of direction. (Stop pub closures and challenge ridiculous health and alcohol advice)
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ers-over-name-change-and-future-a6959821.html

2 The Lord Nelson castigated on here for it's pre-historic toilets and culturally insenstive temporary window, has addressed both and it's spruce up is now complete. With the exception of some furniture in the far reaches, which I think would be more at home in a Victorian brothel, I think that they have done a pretty good job, of bringing the old place up to date and they have retained the old Withdean era photos as well.

3 Brighton Tap Takeover 8-10th April 10 pubs participating
http://www.taptakeover.co.uk/
http://beerguild.co.uk/brighton-tap-takeover-april-2016/

4 Beer in cans - Sorry this is just a step too far for me. I can't get my head around this one, although I have tried. It seems to work okay with the sorts of beers that just turn the flavour volume up to 11. This seems to be a real sign of the times for me, too many craft brewers, just don't do subtlety.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Haven't been in the new Nelson yet , looking forward to trying it out on Saturday. Not sure on beer in cans but there's some established brewers out there who seem to think can technology (!!!) Is so good now that cans are the way forward.

Tap Takeover means there's some nice modern style 'craft' beer (which as far as I can see is just different beers labelled "IPA/ and served cold) - should be good but it's all a marketing ploy by the pub chain and its distributor. Still, a good chance to try some different stuff.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Name change eh?

1. Campaign for warm flat beer?
2. Campaign for members who aren't male, white and over the age of 60?

In all seriousness, this is brilliant news as the organisation would not have lasted more than a few years as the beer world has moved on profoundly in the last decade or so. If they can get their collective heads around the idea of 'kegged' beers, they could have a future.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I share the view on some of the craft beer. It's gone beyond subtlety and some of it is smash so much strong flavour between the drinker's eyes

Haven't tried the new Nelson yet. Will do that soon

As for camra. I've been a member for over 20 years and I too had been thinking where the future lay given real ale (and real cider) have been saved promoted and are flourishing. They have spent many years campaigning to keep good pubs and for full pint legislation as well as economic policy. This is a good logical step still holding true to the core aims of increasing choice and protecting heritage

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Quick question. What's the difference between a 'Craft Brewer' and a 'Brewer'?

There are no hard and fast rules (unlike in the States) but it seems these two rules always apply:

1. You can't be linked to one of the huge multi-national brewing companies.
http://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...beer-21-surprising-corporate-brewers-20150923

2. A craft brewer should ignore 'rules' such as those preached by CAMRA and try to make the best beer possible rather than worry about the cost of production, using local products or putting the beer in a cask. A concentration on innovation rather than tradition with 'taste' being the most important factor.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2 The Lord Nelson castigated on here for it's pre-historic toilets and culturally insenstive temporary window, has addressed both and it's spruce up is now complete. .

i take this to mean reference to "Laines" has gone? rejoice!

Quick question. What's the difference between a 'Craft Brewer' and a 'Brewer'?

its an American industry reference to brewers under a certain size that's been hijacked over here as a marketing term. and quite a lot of associated elitism, which frankly makes CAMRA look sensible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here