Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bread making

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am going to make a loaf of granary bread but reading the recipes some say add olive oil or butter some do not include it. Simple answer for advice ask NSC. Should I add it or not? Also Mail on line recipe says to avoid 10 mins needing make the dough and leave in the fridge overnight.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
I am going to make a loaf of granary bread but reading the recipes some say add olive oil or butter some do not include it. Simple answer for advice ask NSC. Should I add it or not? Also Mail on line recipe says to avoid 10 mins needing make the dough and leave in the fridge overnight.

It needs some 'fat' (olive oil or butter) kneading is important or it will not rise, this works well for me, I also find rolls work best (cook better)

500g strong white flour (or 250g granary + 250g strong white), plus extra for dusting
2 tsp salt
7g sachet fast-action yeast
3 tbsp. (ish) olive oil or butter
300ml tepid water (MUST be tepid)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It needs some 'fat' (olive oil or butter) kneading is important or it will not rise, this works well for me, I also find rolls work best (cook better)

500g strong white flour (or 250g granary + 250g strong white), plus extra for dusting
2 tsp salt
7g sachet fast-action yeast
3 tbsp. (ish) olive oil or butter
300ml tepid water (MUST be tepid)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread

That is recipe I was going to use. I assume that is the mix for a standard large loaf 800gm. I shall do it in the morning now as I have been busy making a chinese chicken curry. Which turned out ok but could have done with more liquid.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Get yerself a breadmaker, takes all the arsing about out of it and you can come on here for advice when you can't work it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't stint on the oil or butter, the bread is a bit dry and crumbly without it.

I'm having a go at making baguettes tomorrow morning (proving the dough overnight) - never tried making those before

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Get yerself a breadmaker, takes all the arsing about out of it and you can come on here for advice when you can't work it

We have one but it is quite old ( about 12 years) so trying hand made and cooked in the oven, before deciding whether to buy another one.
A number of the recipes say not to need it just leave in the fridge overnight.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We have one but it is quite old ( about 12 years) so trying hand made and cooked in the oven, before deciding whether to buy another one.

I've never used a breadmaker in my life but I make bread several times a week, I find the very act of kneading highly therapeutic - it's a great way to relieve stress. And nothing beats breakfast with freshly made bread

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Get one of these beauties...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004RTJW...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B004RTJWMW

71lIIO1d6-L._SL1500_.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I use a food mixer with a bread hook and make bread all the time.

You dont really need fat - it will make the bread last a little longer, but if you don't eat it it's more likely to go mouldy.

The best results I've had with bread is the "double oven" technique. Effectively you proove and cook withing a heavy casserole pot with lid on - remembering to line else you will never get it out.

The bread cooks quite pale - but you take it out and give it another blast.

Why ? Crisp crust. You've will never really achieve that in a domestic oven - even with putting a water bath in the bottom. Home made bread tends to go a bit leathery after the excess moisture from the bread softens the crust.

I don't really understand the science but it doesn't if you cook in a "double oven".

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here