Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Does the punishment fit the crime ?

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
For the unaware BE WARNED ! Litter enforcement officers are now operating in Brighton and Hove,
Today whilst talking to a friend in the street he dropped his cigarette butt on the ground and extinguished it by standing on it (I know serves him right crime of the century) seconds later he was confronted by three men in black uniform who informed him he had just committed a criminal offence under section blar blar blar and was being issued with a fixed penalty notice of £75 !!!!
He responded with "I was about to pick it up and put it in the bin", but was told to late for that sir the offence has been committed
It was confirmed by them that anything at all dropped will incur this penalty

I know naughty boy should have known better and do you know how much it costs us all to keep these streets clean and all that

BUT 75 QUID REALLY !!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some people in work were discussing littering recently. They reminisced about the days you'd see little piles of cigarettes beside cars from where the owners had emptied their ashtrays in the gutter.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's about a £500 minimum for littering in Singapore, so he should be grateful. Going on the amount of litter in the streets and in hedgerows, etc, I think fining is a bloody brilliant idea.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
There was a bit of a palava about this when they first introduced it.

i am sure there is some loop hole in it that says if they do not provide adequate facilities to dispose of the rubbish then you are let off. That includes ashtrays on top of the bins. Surely it is safer to extinguish it on the floor than put it in a bin and risk a fire?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ignoring anyone's personal dislike of smoking, what if a smoker actually stubs out a ciggie by hand and then does place the butt in a litter bin. Does the ash and unburnt tobacco that is left on the pavement/wall qualify for a fine?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
There was a bit of a palava about this when they first introduced it.

i am sure there is some loop hole in it that says if they do not provide adequate facilities to dispose of the rubbish then you are let off. That includes ashtrays on top of the bins. Surely it is safer to extinguish it on the floor than put it in a bin and risk a fire?

To me, that's the problem with the British psyche. Rather than admit we're making a mess and that we should know better, and subsequently take any punishment on the chin, we look for loop holes to wriggle our way out. If I finish a packet of crisps and there's no bin for about 200 yards, it's hardly a hardship to either carry it or put it in my pocket.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's just a shame they're not sticking it to the yoof & fat reps slinging their empty Red Bull cans out of the car windows.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
To me, that's the problem with the British psyche. Rather than admit we're making a mess and that we should know better, and subsequently take any punishment on the chin, we look for loop holes to wriggle our way out. If I finish a packet of crisps and there's no bin for about 200 yards, it's hardly a hardship to either carry it or put it in my pocket.

I completely agree. Was more just stating what I heard when it first came about

I used to be a smoker and would put the buts on the floor and it's only now that I look back at myself and think what a horrible thing to do.

On the rare occasion that I have one now I will knock the ash off and then wait for a bin to come up. One of my biggest bug bears is litter on the streets. There is no need for it, It was one of the first things I noticed about the village I am moving to next month - there was no litter. We should probably notice litter rather than the absence of it!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Shame they can't redirect this resource to stopping idiots using their mobile phones when driving. Save a life v fag butt on the floor. No contest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Consistently shocked by how filthy roadsides are, both A roads and motorways. What a mess.
It's always the same stuff.
Cans of Red Bull and Monster, McDonalds and Wild Bean Cafe sandwich boxes.
With the occasional can of Special Brew to act as a reminder of how unsafe the roads are.

It's no wonder so many people are completely strung out, esp while driving.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
We have these people in Tunbridge Wells, though of course they only work 9-5. Litter isn't dropped outside of those times, I guess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He responded with "I was about to pick it up and put it in the bin", but was told to late for that sir the offence has been committed
It was confirmed by them that anything at all dropped will incur this penalty

no he wasnt. no one ever stamped out then picked up a butt to put in a bin.

nice easy revenue raiser, and if really successful the city can sack all the road sweepers, reducing costs. win all round.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good. It's always amazed me how many smokers don't think cigarette butts are litter. The butts take up to 10 years to decompose. Smoke by all means but dispose of the butt properly. Seeing drivers flicking them out of their window really winds me up too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here