• Stockdale

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Following on from the piece in the Argus who would be your 3rd choice keeper behind Joe Hart and Fraser Forster to take to Euro 2016?

The general consensus in the media appears to be Heaton but Hodgson knows Stocky from his Fulham days and I wouldn't be at all surprised if our man gets the nod.

Could we see an England scout or two at the Amex by the end of the season starting this Saturday?...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Following on from the piece in the Argus who would be your 3rd choice keeper behind Joe Hart and Fraser Forster to take to Euro 2016?

The general consensus in the media appears to be Heaton but Hodgson knows Stocky from his Fulham days and I wouldn't be at all surprised if our man gets the nod.

Could we see an England scout or two at the Amex by the end of the season starting this Saturday?...

Well I'd be very surprised. Can't say I've ever noticed Heaton much, & certainly haven't seen much to impress when we've played them. But presumably he's been doing something right to be picked while still a Championship player (was he quite good in the PL when they were relegated?). He's got the jersey at the moment, so I can't imagine why Roy would change that all of a sudden without ever once playing him.

Heaton will go unless he gets crocked.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ben Foster will be 3rd choice behind Fraser Forster and Joe Hart (if all fit)

I was under the impression Foster had declined to be picked in favour of concentrating on his club form?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Heaton will go unless he gets crocked.
I bet Stockdale wishes he now had, the myth, the legend, the name he'd only ever heard whispered...

..Adam El Abd, playing in front of him.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Thanks to the bloated Premier League and the obsession with foreign talent over locally produced players, just being an English keeper in the PL is enough to put you in contention. Butland, Forster and co are decent-ish, but in the days of Banks and Shilton, etc, they wouldn't have come anywhere near consideration. As for Joe Hart? I've always considered him bang average at best.

Due to the injuries of Hart and Forster, Hodgson has little option but to turn to the Championship for backup. If another keeper gets crocked then Stockdale may well come into consideration. Rather have Stockdale than calamity keeper Rob Green anyday.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ben Foster will be 3rd choice behind Fraser Forster and Joe Hart (if all fit)

If he's going to consider Ben Foster you've got to question why Heaton was called up to the squad and not Foster. I know Foster was out injured from March 15 and only came back in January, but seeing as he's played 12 games since then you'd expect him to have been in the current squad if he was being considered as third choice.

I was under the impression Foster had declined to be picked in favour of concentrating on his club form?

Foster did ask not to be picked but that was in May 2011, he then made himself available again in Feb 2013 and was in the 2014 World Cup squad. I don't recall him saying he doesn't want to be picked since then.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
According to the article below, it was only for the friendlies
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-comment-jack-butland-11105349

England boss Roy Hodgson had hoped to bring the West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper into the fold for the friendlies against Germany and the Dutch as a replacement for the injured Joe Hart.

But the pair, who worked alongside each other during Hodgson's 14 months in charge of Albion, agreed it was mutually beneficial for Foster to remain with his club and rest.

Foster, who turns 33 on Sunday, needed a break after playing flat-out since recovering from a serious knee injury that had kept him sidelined for ten months.

The former Manchester United keeper squeezed 12 games into the ten weeks that followed his return to action in January.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If he's going to consider Ben Foster you've got to question why Heaton was called up to the squad and not Foster. I know Foster was out injured from March 15 and only came back in January, but seeing as he's played 12 games since then you'd expect him to have been in the current squad if he was being considered as third choice.

Foster did ask not to be picked but that was in May 2011, he then made himself available again in Feb 2013 and was in the 2014 World Cup squad. I don't recall him saying he doesn't want to be picked since then.

see above

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hodgson may know Stockdale from their time at Fulham but he didn't play him that much (even though he might have even signed him).
Maybe Hodgson doesn't rate him ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hodgson may know Stockdale from their time at Fulham but he didn't play him that much (even though he might have even signed him).
Maybe Hodgson doesn't rate him ???

Yes, it was Capello who called Stockdale up previously.
I think Heaton is a good keeper, & he kept Reading out of the playoffs two years ago, so we got in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stockdale is a better keeper than Heaton, who is a shot stopper only (as is Forster).

I wouldn't take either though - the third choice is never going to play, so makes sense to take the very promising U21 Pickford, for the experience.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't take either though - the third choice is never going to play, so makes sense to take the very promising U21 Pickford, for the experience.
You're absolutely 100% correct and totally wrong.

The position is bogus.
Third choice 'kepper will never be used.
If you could trade the place for an extra outfield player every team would do it, without even pausing for thought.
But you can't.
This is tournament football.
Once every 2 years.
The team has to take their very best players, there should be no room for a 'Walcott luxury'.

The 3 very best 'keepers need to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here