Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Einstein's General Theory of Relativity Called into Question!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Apparently the old scoundrel's been stringing us along all these years taking advantage of our general relative universal ignorance.

Horizon BBC2 8.00pm tonight discusses the Mystery of Dark Energy. Apparently it's existence cast doubt on Mr E='s Theory

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Apparently the old scoundrel's been stringing us along all these years taking advantage of our general relative universal ignorance.

Horizon BBC2 8.00pm tonight discusses the Mystery of Dark Energy. Apparently it's existence cast doubt on Mr E='s Theory

Isn't this very old news, in that Einstein in later papers repetitively stressed that his mass-energy equation is strictly limited to observers co-moving with the object under study.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I knew this would happen

You postulated this back in 2009 as part of your explanation of the expansion of the universe but I'm b*ggered if I can find the thread now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Does this affect the calculations on the number of points required to finish second this season? Would be a shame to have to go back to the drawing board.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

'Horizon: The Mystery of Dark Energy
8:00pm Wednesday 30th, March, Episode 3

This edition of the science strand looks at dark energy, the mysterious force that is unexpectedly causing the universe's expansion to speed up. The effects of dark energy were discovered in 1998, but physicists still know very little about it. Its very existence seems to call into question Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity. Experiments on earth and in space generate data that might provide a clue, but currently the best hope is that another Einstein will emerge. Clare Burrage, a physicist at the University of Nottingham, suggests that the secret of dark energy may lie in a new type of particle known as the Chameleon.'

Should be relatively straightforward one for Horizon, what with a physicist from Nottingham Uni. Unlike most recent Horizon episodes which feature flashily-filmed Fast Show-esque longhair space cadets who lapse into spouting psycho-babble about an infinite number of parallel universes within the first twenty minutes. By comparison Dark Energy should be a simple tap-in. Bit worried about the 'particle known as the Chameleon' tho, has to be said, Could all turn into psycho-bolleaux earlydoors.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
'Horizon: The Mystery of Dark Energy
8:00pm Wednesday 30th, March, Episode 3

This edition of the science strand looks at dark energy, the mysterious force that is unexpectedly causing the universe's expansion to speed up. The effects of dark energy were discovered in 1998, but physicists still know very little about it. Its very existence seems to call into question Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity. Experiments on earth and in space generate data that might provide a clue, but currently the best hope is that another Einstein will emerge. Clare Burrage, a physicist at the University of Nottingham, suggests that the secret of dark energy may lie in a new type of particle known as the Chameleon.'

Should be relatively straightforward one for Horizon, what with a physicist from Nottingham Uni. Unlike most recent Horizon episodes which feature flashily-filmed Fast Show-esque longhair space cadets who lapse into spouting psycho-babble about an infinite number of parallel universes within the first twenty minutes. By comparison Dark Energy should be a simple tap-in. Bit worried about the 'particle known as the Chameleon' tho, has to be said, Could all turn into psycho-bolleaux earlydoors.

Quantum physics has proven that the universe/reality is a very mysterious 'thing'...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clearly calling into question Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity is straightforward, the programme is being presented by a girl.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll give it til half time before they've mentioned the ninth dimension, with strange quarks being given a run out on the fifty minute mark.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'll give it til half time before they've mentioned the ninth dimension, with strange quarks being given a run out on the fifty minute mark.

0/10

larus

And the outcome was...... yep, we don't have a clue about the universe really.

Based on the fact that (if I remember rightly), the observable mass in the universe is only about 4% (that's all galaxies,planets etc), the next 26% is dark matter and the balance is dark energy (but we can't detect dark matter/energy and can only theorise it'e existence), I would say any ideas about the origin/fate of the universe must be garbage. However, it reinforced the fact that that Einstein guy was a bit smart - nearly as clever as ENREST.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Based on the fact that (if I remember rightly), the observable mass in the universe is only about 4% (that's all galaxies,planets etc), the next 26% is dark matter and the balance is dark energy (but we can't detect dark matter/energy and can only theorise it'e existence), I would say any ideas about the origin/fate of the universe must be garbage. However, it reinforced the fact that that Einstein guy was a bit smart - nearly as clever as ENREST.

Despite all the derision he received, it seems Donald Rumsfeld's summation of the universe is turning out to be smarter than Einstein's: "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, it's very interesting. I've done a fair amount of research on this, studied a lot of papers and I'm pretty sure I can enhance the General Theory of Relativity, removing the need for the Cosmological Constant and explaining the relationship between dark matter/energy and tying the whole thing up with a Unified Field theory. Let me explain it here, oh hang on, someone's at the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here