Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously overrated players

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Paddy McCourt.

Scored a worldy against us playing for Barnsley (I think), but I could never quite fathom some of the entirely un-ironic hero worship of this player from some quarters within these fine pages. The constant appeals for him to start, or to be afforded more time from the bench always left me scratching my head. If you wanted someone to come on, weave past a couple of players in midfield and then give the ball away, blast it over the bar or fall over, then Paddy was yer man. It was suggested that tracking back was not something we should burden him with, as his exquisite skills on the ball was something we should fully indulge and cherish, in an effort to build our team around this lower division Zidane which we were apparently blessed with.

Baffling.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Be VERY careful who you nominate here folks, lest your nominated player might show some temporary upward blip in form at some unspecified point in the future and you'll have a hundred told-you-so's retrospectively on your case. :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be VERY careful who you nominate here folks, lest your nominated player might show some temporary upward blip in form at some unspecified point in the future and you'll have a hundred told-you-so's retrospectively on your case. :moo:
I reckon I'll be safe with:-

Matt Derbyshire.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Paddy McCourt.

Scored a worldy against us playing for Barnsley (I think), but I could never quite fathom some of the entirely un-ironic hero worship of this player from some quarters within these fine pages. The constant appeals for him to start, or to be afforded more time from the bench always left me scratching my head. If you wanted someone to come on, weave past a couple of players in midfield and then give the ball away, blast it over the bar or fall over, then Paddy was yer man. It was suggested that tracking back was not something we should burden him with, as his exquisite skills on the ball was something we should fully indulge and cherish, in an effort to build our team around this lower division Zidane which we were apparently blessed with.

Baffling.

Same here. I genuinely thought people were taking the piss. No end product, no team ethic.

The goal he scored against us was a weird one. It looked like our defenders just stood off him and watched him go through us.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I'll be controversial and say our Leo.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved (and still do) the man, however could not help but feel that he wasted a lot of opportunities. He is a cracking player but not sure he is the world beater that some make him out to be.

I would also say that toward the end FDM lived more off reputation, I think we had some great goalkeepers that fell by the wayside due to the pressure to play him.

I would caveat this post by saying - I prefer Tomer to Ulloa (despite the fact I will admit he is more wasteful) and I was a big fan of both Ben Roberts and Wayne 'save the ball but push it straight to another attack' Henderson so clearly have limited insight into players!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Jason Peake, Ryan Harley who we signed based on games against us.

Was Harley over-rated by anyone? Aside from scoring a cracker on his league debut he was very quickly shown up to be pedestrian and became a bit of a joke with pretty much anyone. I certainly don't remember him being lauded in the same way as Will Hoskins or Paddy McCourt.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Lionel Messi…He is a one-trick pony. All he does is run rings around the opposition.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was Harley over-rated by anyone? Aside from scoring a cracker on his league debut he was very quickly shown up to be pedestrian and became a bit of a joke with pretty much anyone. I certainly don't remember him being lauded in the same way as Will Hoskins or Paddy McCourt.

Did we not buy him based on performances against us and in competition with higher rated clubs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess we have to include CMS in this bracket.

We were ALL thrilled when he signed, and as we were so desperate to see him do well I think we over-indulged him for far longer than was healthy (I include myself in that). He ran around a lot and had great hair, and that can go a long way in harbouring a fans affections. But it took me FAR too long to come to terms with and accept the unpleasant truth that he was, in fact, complete and utter bobbins.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

We were ALL thrilled when he signed, and as we were so desperate to see him do well I think we over-indulged him for far longer than was healthy (I include myself in that). He ran around a lot and had great hair, and that can go a long way. But it took me FAR too long to come to terms with and accept the unpleasant truth that he was, in fact, complete and utter bobbins.

CMS is a tricky one. There's no doubting the fact that his spell with us was ultimately disappointing, but he was clearly a very good player before he joined us (given his goalscoring record at Peterborough). The issue was that we never really played a system that actually played to his strengths.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

We were ALL thrilled when he signed, and as we were so desperate to see him do well I think we over-indulged him for far longer than was healthy (I include myself in that). He ran around a lot and had great hair, and that can go a long way in harbouring a fans affections. But it took me FAR too long to come to terms with and accept the unpleasant truth that he was, in fact, complete and utter bobbins.

I thought of him but thought it a little unfair to him as he didnt set the fee and didnt want to be seriously injured and lose his greatest asset his pace.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Did we not buy him based on performances against us and in competition with higher rated clubs.

We missed out on him when he left Exeter and went to Swansea. I cannot remember if anyone else was in for him when we signed him from Swansea. I didn't think he was anything special against us, maybe Poyet did though. Will Hoskins was certainly signed on the strength of his games against us but Harley I am not so sure about.

Doe the OP say by the fans? Obviously somebody at the club overrated him somewhat.

Obviously you can include any player we've signed who didn't make the grade here as over-rated, after all someone must have rated them to be signed in the first place. But there is a massive difference between Harley and Dobbie, who were shit and a majority of fans saw this quite quickly, and your Paddy McCourts who was still being mentioned as deserving a chance despite never having shown anything in any of his previous appearances (I may have even been guilty of this myself).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here