Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Argentina’s government is celebrating a decision by a UN commission to expand its maritime territory in the South Atlantic Ocean by 35% to include the disputed Falkland islands and beyond.

The Argentine foreign ministry said its waters had increased by 1.7 million square km (0.66 million square miles) and the decision will be key in its dispute with Britain over the islands.*Argentina*lost a brief, bloody 1982 war with Britain after Argentinian troops seized the South Atlantic archipelago that Latin Americans call the Malvinas.

The UN commission on the limits of the continental shelf*sided with Argentina, ratifying*the country’s 2009 report*fixing the limit of its territory at 200 to 350 miles from its coast.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Cuba is 90 miles from Key West, Fla. Key West is the southernmost publicly accessible point in Florida. Key West is closer to Cuba than to Miami.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ah, good, so we can claim Northern France, Belgium and most of Holland as they are all within 200-350 miles of our coast.

Oh, Ireland becomes British too - that'll go down without any bloodshed too, I'm sure.

FFS .....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
This old chestnut usually rears its head when the incumbent president of Argentina is having a bad hair day. Handy distraction away from domestic issues. Much in the same way it was for Thatcher in 82.

Nothing to see here really.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nothing to do with the rich oil and mineral reserves that surround the island :nono:
Who was on this so called Mickey mouse UN commission??

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing to do with the rich oil and mineral reserves that surround the island :nono:
Who was on this so called Mickey mouse UN commission??

Everything to do with that, and nothing to do with sovereignty.

I said a while ago that we should have started talking to the Argentines about joint territorial pacts over the waters and come to an agreement. But no, and now we could have to wave goodbye to the lot (although as the territory is disputed the ruling may not be binding).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Everything to do with that, and nothing to do with sovereignty.

I said a while ago that we should have started talking to the Argentines about joint territorial pacts over the waters and come to an agreement. But no, and now we can wave goodbye to the lot.

I totally agree with you, nothing to do with sovereignty, and as I intimated planets earths reserves :)

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The question also rises concerning the islands sovereignty in the event of the break up of the United Kingdom. Most of the settlers there are of Scottish and Welsh ancestry....

Let's hope Southampton doesn't declare independence- then it gets messy !

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Based on that rationale, Tenerife is in Moroccan waters.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The question also rises concerning the islands sovereignty in the event of the break up of the United Kingdom. Most of the settlers there are of Scottish and Welsh ancestry....

Mostly Welsh, I believe. However, they themselves very clearly identify with being British, just British, not any sub-group.

Personally I think that after the Falklands War they should have gone for self-determination, and become an independent state and a full member of the UN - that way it wouldn't be just Britain, but the whole of the UN who would be charged with protecting their independence from any Argentinian threat. They could still have retained their links with Britain through membership of the Commonwealth.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think Argentina own the waters but the sea-bed
In any case the 12 n.miles territorial waters overrides this.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Mostly Welsh, I believe. However, they themselves very clearly identify with being British, just British, not any sub-group.

Personally I think that after the Falklands War they should have gone for self-determination, and become an independent state and a full member of the UN - that way it wouldn't be just Britain, but the whole of the UN who would be charged with protecting their independence from any Argentinian threat. They could still have retained their links with Britain through membership of the Commonwealth.

There is an argument there. Much the same as Northern Ireland. Recent surveys suggest that only 29% regard themselves as British, the majority regard themselves as 'Falkland Islanders'. I'm sure they'd happily lose the British tag if the oil industry takes off and those damned Argies stayed away.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Based on that rationale, Tenerife is in Moroccan waters.

Morocco and Spain are in dispute over the territory line as it happens (over oil exploration you never would have guessed...). Spain believe it to be the median between the land of the Canary Islands and the coast of Morocco, but Morocco believe it to be the continental shelf which is much closer to the Islands.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Almost half the population are recent immigrants, since the Falklands war, and not necessarily from the UK.

As I remember it, the Falklands leadership came to Britain before the conflict to ask for British status, and Thatcher told them to do one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
??? Is that just a lead up to the Southampton joke, or are you being serious?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here