Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If the Euro's started tomorrow, would you start/bring Wayne Rooney?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
With Kane/Vardy on form up top and Alli/Barkley fighting it out for the number ten, does Hodgson have a selection headache on his hands or will he stay loyal with the captain of England?

Personally, I can only see him as a squad player. In qualifiers and friendlies he has been impressive but that's about it.

After Euro 2004 he has not really lit up the stage with his performances considering he is supposedly one of England's "finest" products.

If memory serves me right, he hasn't scored more than a goal in a major competition since Euro 2004.

What's NSC viewpoint?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Take him but not start him.

I don't buy in to the 'he's always been crap but...' school of thought at all, there's a reason he's the top scorer after all.

That said, from my perspective, we seem to play a better team game without him there as the play seems to run through a number of different players rather than pivot solely through/centred around him (not that I think it's his fault we've played like that at all).

He's still a good player and it would be foolish not to have someone of that experience in the squad when they're available, especially as it's looking like it'll be a younger one than in previous years. He could prove invaluable in the dressing room.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lose the all deadwood and stick with the future, Rooney only gets himself injured or sent off in major tournaments anyway.

We have failed so many times lets try something new with nothing to lose, if things go wrong we will be stronger for the world cup in 2 years time.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'd take him as part of the squad for his experience and his versatility but would definitely not start him. Kane and Vardy every time for me with Sturridge or Welbeck as back up.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He makes the squad and Roy will probably start him. Personally I would start with Vardy and Kane.

The other two strikers I would take are Sturridge and Welbeck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
tomorrow he doesnt start, if he improves form between now and the Euro's he's in the mix because he does still have quality. Kane is the man right now and he's got that somthing extra, confidence with his ability. same goes for a handful of the others we saw last night, they werent "trying" too hard as England players so often do, they were just playing good football natually.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Take him but not start him.

I don't buy in to the 'he's always been crap but...' school of thought at all, there's a reason he's the top scorer after all.

That said, from my perspective, we seem to play a better team game without him there as the play seems to run through a number of different players rather than pivot solely through/centred around him (not that I think it's his fault we've played like that at all).

He's still a good player and it would be foolish not to have someone of that experience in the squad when they're available, especially as it's looking like it'll be a younger one than in previous years. He could prove invaluable in the dressing room.

Basically this. Experience on the training pitch and the dressing room would be invaluable but he wouldn't make my first XI

larus

To me, he's a 'flat-track bully'. He doesn't perform against the good teams., Apart from Portugal 2004, he's not had a good tournament. He's not old, but I think he's 'older' than his years (in the same way he developed a lot younger). Records shouldn't county for anything - he's scored a lot of goals against weak teams in qualification games.

I don't go wth this 'experience is good'. The counter-argument for that is that 'youth' plays with less fear and more energy and freedom.

I'd pick the best players; those who have demonstrated their ability. The real shame is that the defence looks like our Achilles heel. The young midfield/strikers have got goals in them - the defence don't look like they cam keep clean sheets.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
You only take Rooney if he starts. Otherwise his sense of expectation will get in the way. So he wouldn't get near my plane.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Take him if he is match fit and finishes the season on form, Kane and Vardy definitely need too start though as strikers.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Could be a decent player for the squad to cover any injuries. Problem is, if he does make the squad, Roy will start him in every game. Which will mess up what is quite a promising team at the moment. So it looks like the options are-

1. He gets left out the squad.
2. He starts every game.

I would go for option 1 every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here