Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV - flat screen or curved?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It used to be simple, just buy the best flat screen, the biggest you can for the room.

Now there is the curved option, and I am confused.

Anyone got a view either way?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't believe curved screens are anything more than a fad. Certainly no good unless you're sat dead centre in front of them.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've watched stuff on the curved screens and it detracts rather than adds to the quality really.

Also, due to the fad of them you can get flat screens cheaper; and if you don't intend to use 4K content any time soon you can get end of line full HD screens for buttons. Which is what I did, 52" flat 1080p for about half the cost of the curved 4K equivalent

If we all end up using curved and/or 4K screens in half a decades time I'll probably want a new TV by then anyway!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can't believe curved screens are anything more than a fad. Certainly no good unless you're sat dead centre in front of them.

We have a curved screen at home and I have to disagree with your statement posted above about having to sit dead centre. I find that it's fine whatever the angle you sit at.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It used to be simple, just buy the best flat screen, the biggest you can for the room.
It was never that simple. Well, not for sad geeks like me anyway.

Now there is the curved option, and I am confused.

Anyone got a view either way?
Get flat.

Curved screens are like avocado bathroom suits. They make them because they can, not because they're good.

There could be some benefits to a curved screen - if you watch TV alone, your viewpoint is always dead centre, and the screen is in the corner of a room. Otherwise just get flat.

Other things to consider:
Is it for daytime viewing in a bright room, or do you want decent blacks to help with films in a dark room
If you watch much sport you don't want motion blur
Will it be used for online video games
Does it need speakers, or will you have dedicated speakers
If no dedicated speakers, do you want a soundbar under it to give a little more oomph

Etc etc, check out https://www.avforums.com/forums/televisions.104/

I have a curved screen and I agree with that. The dead centre argument is a nasty myth put about by people invested in flat screens....:)
If someone is saying they can't be viewed, sure, that's wrong. But you would get a better image from a flat screen than a curved screen if you're at an angle.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It was never that simple. Well, not for sad geeks like me anyway.

Get flat.

Curved screens are like avocado bathroom suits. They make them because they can, not because they're good.

There could be some benefits to a curved screen - if you watch TV alone, your viewpoint is always dead centre, and the screen is in the corner of a room. Otherwise just get flat.

Other things to consider:
Is it for daytime viewing in a bright room, or do you want decent blacks to help with films in a dark room
If you watch much sport you don't want motion blur
Will it be used for online video games
Does it need speakers, or will you have dedicated speakers
If no dedicated speakers, do you want a soundbar under it to give a little more oomph

Etc etc, check out https://www.avforums.com/forums/televisions.104/

If someone is saying they can't be viewed, sure, that's wrong. But you would get a better image from a flat screen than a curved screen if you're at an angle.

Guess you don't actually own one yourself which is why you'd say this, the picture is excellent wherever anyone sits in the room to watch a curved TV.

At first I thought the same way about curved screens as you, that you had to be dead centre to benefit from it, but it was based on a myth that still gets repeated (like in your post) - i was quickly proved wrong and the picture is amazing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At first I thought the same way about curved screens as you, that you had to be dead centre to benefit from it, but it was based on a myth that still gets repeated (like in your post) - i was quickly proved wrong and the picture is amazing

i've seen screens where if you're about 20deg off center you can see distortions from minor light reflection, at 30-45deg large pretty large affects. yes that the light source that the cause of the problem, but a flat screen doesnt show similar affects.

and i fail to see what the curve adds anyway. end of day you get more TV for tthe money going flat.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Guess you don't actually own one yourself which is why you'd say this, the picture is excellent wherever anyone sits in the room to watch a curved TV.

And let's be honest - the curved screens look much cooler. But I wouldn't wall-mount one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It depends where you are viewing it, I would suggest

Windmill-Westdene-1.jpg

Curved Screen

article-1172084-045B827B000005DC-818_468x487.jpg

Flat screen

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Buy whatever sized TV you can that uses OLED as opposed to LED, that's where the picture quality is at its peak at the moment.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Buy whatever sized TV you can that uses OLED as opposed to LED, that's where the picture quality is at its peak at the moment.

Most definitely. Unless there's anything 'better' when my Plasma eventually gives up (which is still superb up to now), OLED is the only option I'll be looking at.

Will be flat as well... Curved sets will go the way of 3D, just a fad designed to make people buy something new.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Guess you don't actually own one yourself
Of course I don't, I'm a videophile.
which is why you'd say this
No, I say it because it's true.
the picture is excellent wherever anyone sits in the room to watch a curved TV.
I'm sure the picture is acceptable for those at an angle, but it's not providing a benefit - if you're to the left of the screen, the left hand side of the screen looks smaller than the right hand side and the image is distorted (the left part of the screen faces you less while the right side of the screen faces you more). Now the difference is probably small enough that you don't notice, but let's not pretend it's a benefit. An easy thing to notice is that the black bars at the top and bottom of a letterbox film, which should be straight, no longer appear straight. Again, this fault isn't going to bother many people, but let's not pretend it's good.

At first I thought the same way about curved screens as you, that you had to be dead centre to benefit from it, but it was based on a myth that still gets repeated (like in your post)
It's not a myth, it's simple physics.
i was quickly proved wrong and the picture is amazing
How exactly were you proved wrong? Presumably you saw a decent screen and liked the picture, and you're calling that proof. That isn't proof, that's just you liking the picture.

Not read this, but maybe some opinions for the OP to consider:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/1873353-do-you-prefer-flat-curved-tvs.html

Last edited:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
flat, you get a horrible reflection on a curved tv.
richer sounds or hills radio down boundary road is the best place to buy tv's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here