Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working 9 to 5

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Love working shift work. 4 on 4 off for me, so every week is a long weekend, well not strictly true, but 4 days off every week. How many people still work 9 to 5 and enjoy it? Would you rather work flexible hours?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Love working shift work,.4 on 4 off for me, so every week is a long weekend., well not strictly true, but 4 days off every week. How many people still work 9 to 5 and enjoy it? Would you rather work flexible hours?
E

9-5, not for me.
Have been working shift for the last 30 years, enjoy days off in the week, but have to work every other weekend, you get used to it.
Recently finished jury service, which meant travelling into London with all the other clones for two weeks, not for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Normal day is leaving home just before 6am, arrive office around 7.15, then leave around 6pm arriving home about 7.30pm. Do this 3 days a week usually, working from home the other two where I'll do more like 7-5. Will find 60-90 mins for a gym visit or run either way. More or less happy with that, although don't think I could go back to a 5 day a week commute again. The days at home really break the week up (mostly in the head probably, but it works)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Being self employed means not having set hours, some weeks are 7 12 hour days and others can be just a couple of hours a day.
But I'm blessed that I don't have to do it but actually enjoy it,
But back in the day I was set hours never liked it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Normal day is leaving home just before 6am, arrive office around 7.15, then leave around 6pm arriving home about 7.30pm. Do this 3 days a week usually, working from home the other two where I'll do more like 7-5.

Very similar. Mon-Weds, leave home 0540 arrive office 0815, leave office 1700 get home 1950. Thurs and Fri WFH and do something like 7.30 to 5pm. Would not change it for anything as I love having every Saturday and Sunday off.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When I was in the kitchens I'd work 6 days a week, usually 9am-10pm with an hour break, usually had a Wednesday or Tuesday off, weekends and bank holidays were always the busiest and for no extra pay.
Now work Monday to Friday 8-6, every weekend and bank holiday off, love it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When I was in the kitchens I'd work 6 days a week, usually 9am-10pm with an hour break, usually had a Wednesday or Tuesday off, weekends and bank holidays were always the busiest and for no extra pay.
Now work Monday to Friday 8-6, every weekend and bank holiday off, love it.

Yup. Years ago I used to work at The Grand and on Saturdays had to co a split shift if I wanted to go to football. Start 6am, finish 10:30, football in afternoon, then back to work for 6.30pm until around midnight

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Been working shifts for last 15 years. I cannot imagine being on "straight days", how does anyone find time to do anything ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Six on four off for me.

Shifts have their downsides, notably the fact that I'll be off to start a night shift in an hour or so, and the fact that I've worked all weekend when everybody else has been out on the piss for Easter. Plus I end up taking a fair bit of leave to make Albion games. But I do like my regular four day weekends. On the rare occasions when I have to work Monday to Friday 8-4, I can't seem to get anything done. How do people make dentist's appointments, or get their hair cut when you work all day every weekday? Screw doing that at a weekend.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Teaching means the hours vary. A usual day would be 8 - 6. Kids leave at 3:30 but the time it takes to mark, input data and prep for the following day varies depending on the workload for that day. Usually spend Sunday's planning and preparing resources for the week ahead.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Six on four off for me.

Shifts have their downsides, notably the fact that I'll be off to start a night shift in an hour or so, and the fact that I've worked all weekend when everybody else has been out on the piss for Easter. Plus I end up taking a fair bit of leave to make Albion games. But I do like my regular four day weekends. On the rare occasions when I have to work Monday to Friday 8-4, I can't seem to get anything done. How do people make dentist's appointments, or get their hair cut when you work all day every weekday? Screw doing that at a weekend.

Exactly what working from home a couple of days a week allows......

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I work in a factory doing cnc machining so basic hours are mon-thurs 0800-16.30 Fri 0800-13.30. But we have bucketloads of overtime and running a nightshift so usually work mon-thurs 07.00-19.00 Fri 07.00-14.30ish.

Long hours. And dinner is usually something warmed up as the missus and little'un need to eat at a reasonable time. I can't remember the last time I did a "basic" week. It would feel like part time work. The only problem is that over the last few years I have come to rely on the overtime money so if/when it stops I'm gonna be screwed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Until three weeks ago, I was a 9-5er, ish. Like others that have already posted, that really meant I worked Monday - Friday, vaguely office hours, split between an office and home. Only I didn't go to the office (in London) very often. I saw little point in travelling close to 4 hours a day when that time could be spent more productively, by actually working. It is possible to work on the train, or at least keep up to date with email etc, but it's pretty poor quality working time.

I'm now trying to figure out what next for me, but my main aim is to be able to work from anywhere as long as I have my MacBook and internet connectivity. My job did sort of mean that, but I'd be expected (not unreasonably, I might add) to be online and contactable during UK office hours, and to attend meetings etc when required.

Ideally I want to work for myself such that I can always (or as close as possible) take my son to school and always pick him up. I'll work the hours in between but down tools at 3pm when he comes home and, maybe, pick up again later in the evening when he's gone to bed and/or early the following morning.

I'd like us to be able to disappear off somewhere every Summer for the 6 or so weeks of the school break, not for a full-on holiday, but to have small doses of living in other places and, as wanky as it sounds, properly experience other cultures. I'd carry on working, whatever that is, for most/all of that, but in a different place.

All very lofty - we'll see...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here