Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boat Race

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Haven't watched the Boat Race on the telly for many years.

Switched over at 2.30 expecting a race but had half an hour of boring chat and interviews. Why are the BBC trying to stretch out what is a student boat race?

What a loada sh*t... :shrug:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Switched over at 2.30 expecting a race but had half an hour of boring chat and interviews. Why are the BBC trying to stretch out what is a student boat race?

Try other channels.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I seem to recall as a kid The Boat Race being on the same day as The Grand National and starting much earlier in the day than it does now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I seem to recall as a kid The Boat Race being on the same day as The Grand National and starting much earlier in the day than it does now.

I thought that it wàs always the week before The Grand National, and it's start time was determined by tide times in the Thames, so sometimes it was late afternoon.

Can't be bothered to find out whose memory is more accurate, though.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Due to this thread just started looking and it's the women's, have the men's finished? Women seem to have trouble with the steering!

D

Deleted member 2719

Ladies in wet t-shirts, maybe entertaining this year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Brilliant commentary 'They have been through hell and high water'

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I thought that it wàs always the week before The Grand National, and it's start time was determined by tide times in the Thames, so sometimes it was late afternoon.

Can't be bothered to find out whose memory is more accurate, though.

Indeed. I still recall a lunchtime start- around 12.00p.m

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Plenty of people don't like football. Each to their own. I thought it (the owner's race) was fascinating. Tides and tactics and nearly sinking.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It still amazes me why this is shown live on tv. Its a bunch of privileged students rowing down the Thames where most of the tv audience watching couldnt care less about who won having not attended a university in either city.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
To be fair it's quite an interesting watch.

If they both sink is it first person who swims to the finish line wins?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It still amazes me why this is shown live on tv. Its a bunch of privileged students rowing down the Thames where most of the tv audience watching couldnt care less about who won having not attended a university in either city.

It's one of the traditional British events, which has happened for 162 years. No one is forced to watch it, either on tv or live, but plenty do.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

House!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here