Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Northern Ireland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No it f*cking shouldn't. Ulster is British.

It would be the ultimate betrayal of our fellow countrymen if we sold them out. Prats like you don't have a scoobies about the issues at stake or the people involved.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is now the time to move on? Should Northern Ireland be given back to Ireland, our EU partners.

It's good to have a healthy debate on the above, from people looking in on the outside, but it's the NI folk that ultimately have to live with decision.
I think there should be a serious referendum on the subject, and NI given the right to self govern along the Scottish route.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't think the Republic wants the UVF,UDA,RHC dumped on them-they only have a mickey mouse army and police force!

It's good to have a healthy debate on the above, from people looking in on the outside, but it's the NI folk that ultimately have to live with decision.
I think there should be a serious referendum on the subject, and NI given the right to self govern along the Scottish route.

Is there ANY support in Northern Ireland for an outcome that would involve self-government from Belfast, without any relationship with either London or Dublin?

Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Should we give the Falklands to Argentina while we're at it?

The only people who should make any kind of decision are the Northern Irish themselves - they should not be seen as ours to 'give' to anyone.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Well...if it's down to self-determination then the majority of Ulstermen and women including a majority of Catholics wish to remain British. I stronlgy suspect that the Republic don't want Ulster and our current government in power is the Conservative and Unionist Party so that's a no-go too. It doesn't look like there's much to debate unless you want to sit down with murderous IRA scum and chew the fat.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Should we give the Falklands to Argentina while we're at it?

The only people who should make any kind of decision are the Northern Irish themselves - they should not be seen as ours to 'give' to anyone.

Completely agree. The people who live there should have the choice over what happens.

I think they should be allowed to join Ireland, stay as they are or even go completely independent if it is what they desire. We have moved on massively from country's owning others but I am more than happy for them to stay as is if it is what the people there want

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is there ANY support in Northern Ireland for an outcome that would involve self-government from Belfast, without any relationship with either London or Dublin?

Or am I misunderstanding your point?
No misunderstanding, just a suggestion that was made by my neighbour a while ago, who comes from NI, and wondered if it could happen, the same as Scotland.
Basically a change for the better?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No it f*cking shouldn't. Ulster is British.

It would be the ultimate betrayal of our fellow countrymen if we sold them out. Prats like you don't have a scoobies about the issues at stake or the people involved.

Eventually the Catholic population will outnumber the Protestant. Things will probably change. The most important thing is that people are mature about it. That area of land belongs to those who live there, we have no ownership rights. Relationships between the communities is the top priority, not the system of governance. Great strides have been made in recent times.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surely it is up to the people of Northern Ireland to decide, but would they want to just be a region of Ireland and governed from Dublin.

As well as the political issues, there are additional barriers such as Ireland using the Euro. Also want happens if the vote is to leave the EU later this year, and then a short while after NI would be back in as part of Ireland.

If there is no desire to push this from within NI then best left as is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Eventually the Catholic population will outnumber the Protestant. Things will probably change. The most important thing is that people are mature about it. That area of land belongs to those who live there, we have no ownership rights. Relationships between the communities is the top priority, not the system of governance. Great strides have been made in recent times.
And the majority of Catholics with to remain British. Nothing changes. Ulster is British.

Well...if it's down to self-determination then the majority of Ulstermen and women including a majority of Catholics wish to remain British. I stronlgy suspect that the Republic don't want Ulster and our current government in power is the Conservative and Unionist Party so that's a no-go too. It doesn't look like there's much to debate unless you want to sit down with murderous IRA scum and chew the fat.

I reckon that any sit down today with any of the aged and retired murderers from both sides of the conflict would quickly reach a consensus that the peace process was worth sticking with.

The people to worry about are the kids and the young men in their twenties who might easily be distracted into a romantic notion that their generation shouldn't miss out on the excitement that their parents' generation enjoyed.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Indeed, and a successful and profitable trouser manufacturing industry is vital for the provinces stability and prosperity.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I reckon that any sit down today with any of the aged and retired murderers from both sides of the conflict would quickly reach a consensus that the peace process was worth sticking with.

The people to worry about are the kids and the young men in their twenties who might easily be distracted into a romantic notion that their generation shouldn't miss out on the excitement that their parents' generation enjoyed.
Tell that to the family of David Ismay, a prison guard murdered by IRA murderers just earlier this month. I'm sure that's proven to be more than enough excitement for his family.

Tell that to the family of David Ismay, a prison guard murdered by IRA murderers just earlier this month. I'm sure that's proven to be more than enough excitement for his family.

Ok, I'll add to my list of people to worry about and include anyone who thinks that revenge killings are a sensible way forward.

The joke of all this is that the Northern Ireland protestants are already being governed by Sinn Fein members of the Stormont executive there. The idea that it would be now such a big step for them to be governed by one of Ireland's two Tory parties Fine Gael and Fianna Fail in Dublin is clearly nonsense. This is actually a conflict that is more or less historically finished and it's amusing to see all the little rightwing nutjobs on here pretend otherwise

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ok, I'll add to my list of people to worry about and include anyone who thinks that revenge killings are a sensible way forward.
That's not what I meant. It was the illusion that because IRA terrorists no longer blow up children in English shopping centres that the troubles have all gone away and the terrorists have all become model citizens. They haven't. They never did.

If you had your way, Irish people would still be killing each other in vast numbers. Thankfully your politics belongs in the last century so do kindly **** off

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you had your way, Irish people would still killing each other in vast numbers. Thankfully your politics belongs in the last century so do kindly **** off
Eh? How on earth have you come to that conclusion from what I've written here? On the basis that you've either deliberately misconstrued what I've written or are just a bit dense I'll ignore your advice. Hope that's okay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here