Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Sussex bar wins CAMRA award.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Does anybody pay any attention to CAMRA? I never have and dont know any publicans who did.

"CAMRA supports well-run pubs as the centres of community life – whether in rural or urban areas – and believe their continued existence play a critical social role in UK culture. CAMRA also supports the pub as the best place in which to consume real ale (also known as cask-conditioned beer, or cask ale) and to try one of over 11,000 different real ales now produced across the UK."

Quote from website BG.
I usually go to some of their festivals, which are really fascinating, with enthusiasts and publicans taking part.
Are you of the Double Diamond era BG?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's a lovely bar, that place. And very handy for gigs at De La Warr Pavilion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"CAMRA supports well-run pubs as the centres of community life – whether in rural or urban areas – and believe their continued existence play a critical social role in UK culture. CAMRA also supports the pub as the best place in which to consume real ale (also known as cask-conditioned beer, or cask ale) and to try one of over 11,000 different real ales now produced across the UK."

Quote from website BG.
I usually go to some of their festivals, which are really fascinating, with enthusiasts and publicans taking part.
Are you of the Double Diamond era BG?

I am of pre DD era but my dislike for CAMRA is based on the fact that a friend of mine was going broke and asked me to look after his pub while he was away for a few days. He had a meeting of CAMRA booked in the pub but no beer as he had to pay cash. When I asked what I should do he said the same as he does go to a local wholesaler and buy 2 kegs of Toby Bitter de gas them and take the centre out. Put a 2 litre lemonade into 1 and dangle the Courage Best Bitter pipe in it then put the directors pipe in the other. He won the CAMRA award for the best kept bitter in Surrey. with special praise for his directors bitter. Unbelievable but I can assure you that is true story.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I am of pre DD era but my dislike for CAMRA is based on the fact that a friend of mine was going broke and asked me to look after his pub while he was away for a few days. He had a meeting of CAMRA booked in the pub but no beer as he had to pay cash. When I asked what I should do he said the same as he does go to a local wholesaler and buy 2 kegs of Toby Bitter de gas them and take the centre out. Put a 2 litre lemonade into 1 and dangle the Courage Best Bitter pipe in it then put the directors pipe in the other. He won the CAMRA award for the best kept bitter in Surrey. with special praise for his directors bitter. Unbelievable but I can assure you that is true story.

:lolol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Please be upstanding for this absolutely fantastic post.

Great work BG.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I have spent many happy times in the Albatross club - my Grandad was a regular in there for years and I'm delighted they have won this award. I think CAMRA is an excellent organisation - without it I'm sure we wouldn't have the choice of real ale in this country that we do. Ben's Grandad encountered some fools evidently - so what

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Best story of the week :lolol:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Camra do some good work fighting to save pubs etc but they could do with modernising a bit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm confused.

Isn't it normally the other bloke that starts threads by copying links from BBC news?

It's my night off. Although there's one about the decline in certain species of butterflies in Norfolk. I'll post it later.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does anybody pay any attention to BensGrandad? I never have and don't know any members of the public who did.

:)

What's the situation with CAMRA ? They once had a 'good cider' arm. I remember buying a guide many years ago and using it at away games. Us devotees of the apple are still few in number.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does anybody pay any attention to CAMRA? I never have and dont know any publicans who did.

Don't know about publicans, but in the eighties Camra was vital. Real ale was dying out - all pubs were converting to crap stuff. Only through Camra could you find out where to get a pint of real ale (and often you had to travel miles) and Camra's campaign to save real ales is the only thing that stopped us living in a world with nothing but Watney's Red Barrel (or equivalent).

So what's your beef with them now?

And does it matter?

theboybilly

No wonder your mate couldn't keep a pub, and how the 'eck were you a publican yourself if you thought it okay to pull that stunt.....if you actually did :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here