Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Belgium bombing - An interesting perspective

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought predictable as soon as I saw Guardian, and so it proved to be. Sorry.

I thought predictable as soon as I saw Guardian and wellquickwoody, and so it proved to be.

Simon Jenkins is right. Making a big deal about the imminent threat from more expected attacks simply feeds the terrorists' wish to terrify everyone. It tells everyone that they are beating us.

It never used to be like that. When Brighton was bombed by the IRA, what did we do? We went to work and grumbled about the traffic. These days we would be expected to deck the Clock Tower with candles while the rest of the world played "Pray for Brighton" for the best part of a month.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, disagree makes a lot of good points and much of it makes perfect sense. You obviously have a jaundiced view because of the publication it derived from!

Correct, and correct.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I thought predictable as soon as I saw Guardian, and so it proved to be. Sorry.

What points in the article do you contend ? It seemed like a pretty sensible read to me.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Simon Jenkins is right. Making a big deal about the imminent threat from more expected attacks simply feeds the terrorists' wish to terrify everyone. It tells everyone that they are beating us.

It never used to be like that. When Brighton was bombed by the IRA, what did we do? We went to work and grumbled about the traffic. These days we would be expected to deck the Clock Tower with candles while the rest of the world played "Pray for Brighton" for the best part of a month.

And painted their picture on FB blue and white to show they care whilst the Austrian 4th division matches would hold a minutes silence for us

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I completely agree with you about the behavioural changes. The cycle bomb at the Palace Pier that failed to detonate was a bloody inconvenience as I tried to make my way to the Hungry Years many moons ago. Thankfully the owners opened the fire exit as a temporary entrance after the Police cordoned of the main door on the seafront! Stiff upper lip and all that.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

Yes the #pray for whatever is particularly ridiculous. As much as these things are tragic and really sad we don't need to suddenly pretend we're all religious

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Simon Jenkins say no more :wanker:

nothing like a load of old long winded shit to detract from what's really happening

and will continue to happen

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Typical lefty bollocks from the Labour Party daily news sheet!
As usual, more interested in the reaction of people's feelings towards the actions of 'Muslim' terrorists that might possibly offend Muslims!!!
As per the norm trying to take some 'right on' liberal moral high ground that anyone who dares react angrily to terrorists like this are now doing exactly what they wanted to achieve, and dare anyone have anything remotely bad to say about Muslims because if you do you are a 'Racist'!
What a load of shit!!!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Typical lefty bollocks from the Labour Party daily news sheet!
As usual, more interested in the reaction of people's feelings towards the actions of 'Muslim' terrorists that might possibly offend Muslims!!!
As per the norm trying to take some 'right on' liberal moral high ground that anyone who dares react angrily to terrorists like this are now doing exactly what they wanted to achieve, and dare anyone have anything remotely bad to say about Muslims because if you do you are a 'Racist'!
What a load of shit!!!!

Ah but you see the Guardian faithful have to try and find a new straw to grasp at as so many of their previous truths are being shown to be absurd. A couple of examples; Islamic terrorism is nothing to do with Islam and multiculturalism/mass immigration is to be welcomed come what may. Far easier to suggest playing down these terrorist attacks rather than facing up to some uncomfortable truths. Thousands of terrorists have entered Europe via migrant routes according to the authorities, numerous countries are facing severe societal tensions because of this migrant influx, there is a rise of extremist political parties in response. Ignoring or downplaying these facts won't make the problem go away or stop the next bomb going off.

Agree with Jenkins on one point though the media/political response is entirely predictable and in the main meaningless. Mr Murray sums it up nicely in this link.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...ed-in-europe-let-the-standard-response-begin/

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Equating ISIS with the IRA is a massive error because the latter had political aims and weren't into suicide bombing. There are millennial aspects of ISIS wanting to create the caliphate. There are some good articles in the Guardian but too often it's all about wealthy liberals wanting to feel good about themselves and be superior. This is a prize example. Who is over reacting anyway?

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I know I am being really naive but can't people just take things at face value without poring over every aspect of the hidden agenda behind a simple written piece

So even you acknowledge and can see the pathetic bias and not very well 'hidden agenda' in that drivel then?
And now you are asking people to ignore those blazingly obvious issues with the so called news story and be drawn in and accept that the article is now something to be taken seriously?
As you said mate "Naive"!!! And if you believe that story then add "Gullible"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here