Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter services: will you be going to church, Christians?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Are you going to church today to be with your Jesus who is hung on the cross to die for your sins?

Will you be there on Easter Sunday as he is resurrected and risen?

Or, is it just a load of old mythical nonsense....?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When at school in the early 50s I was a choirboy at St Matthews church in Worthing and Good Friday was speng from 10am untill about 2pm in church with a service that included The Crucifixtion by Stainer.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
When at school in the early 50s I was a choirboy at St Matthews church in Worthing and Good Friday was speng from 10am untill about 2pm in church with a service that included The Crucifixtion by Stainer.

yep the early 50's was all fun
taught by nuns
finger pointing by the priest if you were not at church
seperated from the girls .........just in case that furtive look made them pregnant
singled out at assembly if you were not seen at church on Sunday
God hated me ..................................and now unfortunately its mutual and now I have more time to think about it I really do not think there is a God.
so enjoy yourselves while you can.
the church has a lot to answer for, especially the Catholic one.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Opinions, to some a fabulous time to others meaningless and pointless apart from indulging in chocolate. At least we can choose. Happy Easter :)

Well put. I'll be there on Sunday - means the world to me and those close to me. Glad we live in a country where there is freedom to worship, or not, as you choose.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No Church for me but being nailed to the cross isn't mythological and his crucifixion symbolises how cruel the human race can be. I don't blame him for Christianity and I respect him as a good bloke who died a horrible death and influenced the western year. Jesus is still relevant to atheists. :)

The Didache Bible is probably close to who Jesus was.

https://youtu.be/0CDaN-xhrKI

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes.

Here in Dubai, UCCD (United Christian Church of Dubai) has an Easter Sunday sunrise service at 5:30am on the beach.

Despite the welcome freedom of worship that we're very thankful for here, printed church information is required to have 'For Private Circulation Only' on it.

Any outdoor service such as the aforementioned is often watched/monitored by law enforcement agencies.

Whilst there's never been any issues due to wisdom and discernment from all sides, it's a sharp reminder that there are others not so far away in nearby countries that don't have same privileges and are indeed persecuted for their faith having to meet in secret with continual threats of betrayal and exposure.

It may not be a popular viewpoint in a secular age, but it's one that might at least be considered over this weekend.

As far as earlier posts on the thread are concerned, I'm genuinely sorry for those who have had bad experiences with Christianity.

At a time of year that speaks of sacrifice, salvation and forgiveness, the church as a whole would do well to reflect and ask forgiveness for areas in which it has fallen short and shipwrecked the faiths of people whom Jesus loved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not me, but each to his/her own.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills