Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are modern children over indulged?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm sure every generation moans about this at some point. It's the Easter hols, kids are running free, demanding every second of the next two weeks be filled with sweets, choc eggs, trips to the cinema, money to spend in the shops, bowling, lazer quest, video games and the latest sneakers.
Has the world become too child centric?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
yup

lovely sunny day outside and both sons are vegetating in their pits on COD

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Very true. Son is wanting computer games or toys. We try and not spoil him so he appreciates things but this stuff is splashed everywhere. I have somehow managed to convince him that playing pairs and then a spot of cricket is the way superheroes spend their holidays

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure every generation moans about this at some point. It's the Easter hols, kids are running free, demanding every second of the next two weeks be filled with sweets, choc eggs, trips to the cinema, money to spend in the shops, bowling, lazer quest, video games and the latest sneakers.
I read the thread title thinking, yep, mine are, but then I see the question is a little more detailed. Mine don't demand, or even expect every second to be filled with entertainment. They're happy with youtube. But don't fret, we plan to let them see the outside before the holidays are over.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Depends on the parent.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
My 14 year old daughter feels hard done by because she has to suffer with an iphone 5s when most have her friends have upgraded phones .

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

While I wouldn't say the material stuff is a 'good' thing as such, I do think it is good that Britain has become more child friendly. In the past I have found people's attitude to kids pretty bad.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Yes but it's the fault of all of us for making the streets and parks less child friendly. Modern kids are more dependent on mum and dad to entertain them than past generations.

Absolutely this. Also the perception that you cant let kids out of your sight for fear of abduction means they are far more reliant on their parents than we ever were.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Without a doubt. Social media trends and the like seem to be turning kids into illiterate drongos.

Its us parents who buy the means for the kids to access social media, and lets face it, far easier form of babysitting than having to entertain the kids ourselves. Tragic but true!

Conversely in my experience, schools these days are far more demanding of kids, who consequently generally achieve far more than generations before. Illiterate drongos most of them most certainly aren't.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
mainly its a yes
great grandson loves being outdoors ........but then so do his parents.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read the thread title thinking, yep, mine are, but then I see the question is a little more detailed. Mine don't demand, or even expect every second to be filled with entertainment. They're happy with youtube. But don't fret, we plan to let them see the outside before the holidays are over.

Today is the best day for weather for the weekend. It's all downhill from here on in.

Yes they are,lawless little shits,more worryingly is that these are the useless ***** we call our future,we just keep letting the simpletons breed and shitting out more useless *****.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Kids will obviously often choose to play video games for hours because they are fun and addictive. Christ I still find FIFA totally addictive!

It's the parents' responsibility to make sure that's not all they do and that they grow up enjoying sport / exercise / getting outside as well. No point moaning about your kids if that's what you've allowed them to become. It's a glorious day here in Sheffield and my son is playing basketball in the park with his mate (when they get back they'll probably go on the Xbox).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Using a sample size of one, the answer is "probably".

This morning Moshe Jnr (8 yrs old) has done XBox (FIFA and WWE), Ipad WWE, YouTube WWE, and On Demand TV (Dumping Ground)...

He has had a cooked breakfast including the only sausages that he agrees to eat (Richmond thin) and poached eggs with the white removed.

I have allowed him to beat me up playing WWE wrestling and he has also beaten me at chess, pool, a penalty shootout in the garden and one on one basketball.

I am now on NSC because Ms. Gariani has taken him out for the afternoon to the races (Plumpton? Lingfield?) where he will be further indulged with junk food (probably) and money to put bets on.

I think his capacity for watching YouTube and playing WWE is pretty much insatiable so we make sure other stuff is structured in. This leads to the other modern day parenting phenomenon of "helicopter" or heavily involved parenting, Smaller family sizes also encourage this.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have allowed him to beat me up playing WWE wrestling and he has also beaten me at chess, pool, a penalty shootout in the garden and one on one basketball.

Never let kids win! :ffsparr:

Mind you I don't have to let my nine year old beat me at cricket. He's a much better bowler than me now. :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Mind you I don't have to let my nine year old beat me at cricket. He's a much better bowler than me now. :angry:

Ha, I had that experience when I took my son to play pitch and putt last summer. I've never been much of a golfer but he was smacking balls straight onto the green - he was better at 9 than I ever was so I'll let him be. He won't beat me at chess though :)

My kids will play out quite a lot: my son may need a bit of nudging away from his gaming but it doesn't take much - in the summer, they're pretty much out all day. And they both play cricket and rugby for local clubs so they do get plenty of structured exercise. You just have to strike a balance

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Insist that he bowls underarm...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here