Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line of Duty

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I haven’t seen such apalling eye acting since Pat Butcher was running the Vic.
Vicky Mclure has never been convincing in anything outside of Shane Meadows stuff and Martin Compston is terrible. I keep getting distracted trying to figure out how they make the 4’6” actor appear taller than everyone else. I am rather enjoying his “proof of age” facial hair though.
In series 2 and 3 I was genuinely gobsmacked at some of the twists and shocks. Now it tries so hard to shock , it fails to do so.
It’s rubbish but very, very entertaining rubbish. I enjoy it.

I have rather liked it for quite a while but the second episode of this series has rather made me draw breath and step back. I'm struggling to come to terms with all the people across many ranks, stations and divisions that either are " bent " or looking like they are heavily implicated in being bent...

. ffs, the three coppers shot dead in the initial hijack = bent, the one who survived = bent, the copper posted outside the surviving officers house as a guard = bent. The as yet unknown officer who recruited the shot, surviving officer by blackmail, bent. Maneet, passed information to Hilton, both bent but Maneet slightly less bent

Then we move to the undercover sergeant, nominally bent, his senior officer potentially bent, that's why he went rogue. He's tracking down a faceless copper who is bent and is Mr Big.

Then why do they move these heavily guarded convoys through roads that are dead easy ambush sites but without having police cars jamming every side road and stationed at every roundabout along a convoy's route ? It seems that almost every copper is effectively bent except our Three Amigo's and even one of them ( Hastings) is going to be set up to be potentially bent. I'm starting to lose the faith.

PS, if you want dodgy Eye Acting on EastEnders I give you Kathy Beale ( or whoever she is now ) and Whitney Dean , both call acting rolling their eyes quickly left, right, and and looking down.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Quite addictive stuff this. Much better catching up on I player than waiting each week for the next episode, by which time its easy to forget things that happened before. I have gone from series 1-3 in a few days. Superintendent Hastings being the highlight for me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have rather liked it for quite a while but the second episode of this series has rather made me draw breath and step back. I'm struggling to come to terms with all the people across many ranks, stations and divisions that either are " bent " or looking like they are heavily implicated in being bent...

. ffs, the three coppers shot dead in the initial hijack = bent, the one who survived = bent, the copper posted outside the surviving officers house as a guard = bent. The as yet unknown officer who recruited the shot, surviving officer by blackmail, bent. Maneet, passed information to Hilton, both bent but Maneet slightly less bent

Then we move to the undercover sergeant, nominally bent, his senior officer potentially bent, that's why he went rogue. He's tracking down a faceless copper who is bent and is Mr Big.

Then why do they move these heavily guarded convoys through roads that are dead easy ambush sites but without having police cars jamming every side road and stationed at every roundabout along a convoy's route ? It seems that almost every copper is effectively bent except our Three Amigo's and even one of them ( Hastings) is going to be set up to be potentially bent. I'm starting to lose the faith.

PS, if you want dodgy Eye Acting on EastEnders I give you Kathy Beale ( or whoever she is now ) and Whitney Dean , both call acting rolling their eyes quickly left, right, and and looking down.

Remember that Causton is the most dangerous place to live in the UK. This small English village has seen 222 murders since 1997. That's nearly 1 a month.

Suspend your disbelief man! It's only drama.

In all seriousness, I started to think the same too. Shows like this have to tread a careful line. They do reinforce ridiculous beliefs in some people.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remember that Causton is the most dangerous place to live in the UK. This small English village has seen 222 murders since 1997. That's nearly 1 a month.

In all seriousness, I started to think the same too. Shows like this have to tread a careful line. They do reinforce ridiculous beliefs in some people.

I think it is fair to say that there are and have been corrupt officers in the police, but the sheer weight of numbers exposed in the series so far takes it to a ridiculous level. If you take Sussex police as an example they are more likely to be disciplined for being inept in dealing with crime or heavy handed in restraining suspects rather than for being part of an organised crime group.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albert Square must come a close second ? the amount of accidents on that little oval outside the pub has been incredible. Lucky they are crashing in to pedestrians because if they hit the set that would really cause some damage.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair the anti corruption unit could have been used in a few Sussex police incidents recently.

1. Apoplectic man died being restrained by undue pressure from a number of police.
2. Young lady given a warning for wasting police time for reporting her ex boyfriend for stalking , shortly before the same person murdered her.
3. Similar incident, when armed police arrived at a house too late, when an ex girl friend, mother and dog were murdered, when the police didn't think there was enough danger to intervene.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
To be fair the anti corruption unit could have been used in a few Sussex police incidents recently.

1. Apoplectic man died being restrained by undue pressure from a number of police.
2. Young lady given a warning for wasting police time for reporting her ex boyfriend for stalking , shortly before the same person murdered her.
3. Similar incident, when armed police arrived at a house too late, when an ex girl friend, mother and dog were murdered, when the police didn't think there was enough danger to intervene.

Suspect competence is more of an issue than corruption?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I actually thought Adrian Dunbar's (Hastings) eye acting was quite good in the interview scene when Gill Bigelow suddenly enters the room. His eyes perfectly conveyed the conflict within his mind of total discomfort by her presence coupled with barely suppressed lust. His eyes kept flitting nervously in her direction but you could also see his eyes flitting up and down unable to avoid her physical allure. Judging by the flickering of his eyes he seemed particularly entranced by her legs. Her eye acting in contrast was much subtler but equally conveyed her discomfort at his presence as it merely consisted of her determinedly averting her eyes from him as if to not want to acknowledge his presence.

I think the eye acting in that particular scene from both actors was absolutely top notch.

I read this in the voice of Alan Partridge

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But there have been cases where there has been widespread corruption across entire forces. The Krays were allowed to carry on for years because of an endemic corruption in the Met during the 60s. Robert Mark was appointed to clean up the mess and several officers went to jail and lots more were kicked out.

In the 80s, we also Operation Countryman, again aimed at tackling wholesale corruption in the Met. Again, officers were imprisoned while many more were disciplined. There was also a lesser purge in the West Midlands police force - no-one was imprisoned but several officers were disciplined.

So, while it's not common, widespread corruption across an entire force is not unknown.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
But there have been cases where there has been widespread corruption across entire forces. The Krays were allowed to carry on for years because of an endemic corruption in the Met during the 60s. Robert Mark was appointed to clean up the mess and several officers went to jail and lots more were kicked out.

In the 80s, we also Operation Countryman, again aimed at tackling wholesale corruption in the Met. Again, officers were imprisoned while many more were disciplined. There was also a lesser purge in the West Midlands police force - no-one was imprisoned but several officers were disciplined.

So, while it's not common, widespread corruption across an entire force is not unknown.

Not forgetting the then Brighton Police had a very high profile corruption case in 1957 where bribes as high as £10 a week were offered...

Tenna_a_Day_0011-280x181.jpg
https://www.oldpolicecellsmuseum.org.uk/content/history/police_history/bent-cops

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Martin Compton (Steve Arnott) is actually Scottish and speaks with a real broad jock accent in real life. He also was a professional footballer.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Martin Compton (Steve Arnott) is actually Scottish and speaks with a real broad jock accent in real life. He also was a professional footballer.

I wouldn't go that far, it was only Greenock Morton

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

My Dad was a probation officer based at Ford Prison in the mid to late 70's and back then they had enough former Met Officers to fill their own hut.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are yet to see a woman in the series being a real crook, most have redeemed themselves as either co-operating or like Lindsey Denton doing Steve’s work for him.

Jackie in SE01 killed her accountant when he found out what she was up to, was living off the profits of laundered money by owning dozens of hair dressers, lock ups, and ended up trying to blackmail a detective. Had her throat slit for her troubles of course and her body cut up and stored into various freezers but probably a real crook by any stretch.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My Dad was a probation officer based at Ford Prison in the mid to late 70's and back then they had enough former Met Officers to fill their own hut.

Exactly . The judge of one of the trials into the Obscene Publication Squad in the mid 70s (see also a couple of episodes of Our Friends in the North") described it as "‘[police] corruption on a scale that beggars description’". Poor old Hastings wouldn't have known where to start.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/03/the-shocking-truth-about-police-corruption-in-britain/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here