Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brewdog: hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply "full of s**t"?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog: hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply "full of s**t"?

I think I tick 4 of those boxes.

"BrewDog embodies, in short, much about modern life that many people love to hate, particularly online and almost certainly beneath this article: you don’t have to search far to find someone on the internet calling BrewDog “hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply “full of shit”. In the small but passionate world of British beer nerds, few subjects arouse stronger feelings than BrewDog: “an instinctively repulsive … operation of expanding beards and stupidly named gaseous beverages”, as one blogger put it."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm drinking Magic Rock Cannonball tonight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like some of their beers but I hate the pub. But then I hate most pubs. Something to do with all the people.

At the end of the day, hype etc aside, they make some bloody amazing beers.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Genuine question from a complete layman; is the beer good and reasonably priced?

If yes, why does anything else matter?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They make some really nice beers, however when you describe one of your beers like this

'Our scene-stealing flagship is an India Pale Ale that has become a byword for craft beer rebellion; synonymous with the insurgency against mass-produced, lowest common denominator beer. Punk IPA charges the barricades to fly its colours from the ramparts – full-on, full-flavour; at full-throttle.

Layered with new world hops to create an explosion of tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee before a spiky bitter finish, this is transatlantic fusion running at the fences of lost empires.

Nothing will ever be the same again.'

People are probably gonna think you are wankers and they most definitely have a point.

Reactions: GOM

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think I tick 4 of those boxes.

"BrewDog embodies, in short, much about modern life that many people love to hate, particularly online and almost certainly beneath this article: you don’t have to search far to find someone on the internet calling BrewDog “hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply “full of shit”. In the small but passionate world of British beer nerds, few subjects arouse stronger feelings than BrewDog: “an instinctively repulsive … operation of expanding beards and stupidly named gaseous beverages”, as one blogger put it."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog

I'd say you tick all five :moo:

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I don't drink so not really part of the drinking hype or culture that goes with it.

Hipster culture/values can often mean hype and inflated prices.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I don't drink so not really part of the drinking hype or culture that goes with it.

Hipster culture/values can often mean hype and inflated prices.

I have to say I haven't touched alcohol in 2 months but the taste of Brewdog is always lurking in the back of my mind.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The NI commentator for the Wales match has just made a class remark about the bebearded Joe Ledley of Palace: "Mumford and sons must be missing a banjo player tonight..."

Well, it made me chuckle.

PG

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Punk IPA is my favourite beer, lovely stuff. The beer is a bit pricey in the pub, expensive enough to keep the fosters drinking riff-raff away. A couple Hardcore IPA 's and you're well on your way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They make some really nice beers, however when you describe one of your beers like this

'Our scene-stealing flagship is an India Pale Ale that has become a byword for craft beer rebellion; synonymous with the insurgency against mass-produced, lowest common denominator beer. Punk IPA charges the barricades to fly its colours from the ramparts – full-on, full-flavour; at full-throttle.

Layered with new world hops to create an explosion of tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee before a spiky bitter finish, this is transatlantic fusion running at the fences of lost empires.

Nothing will ever be the same again.'

People are probably gonna think you are wankers and they most definitely have a point.

I knew nothing about those stunts - they completely passed me by. I have, however, had the misfortune of drinking a bottle of punk IPA, it's certainly not something I'm in a hurry to try again. Just as Starbucks seems to make coffee for people who don't like coffee, Brewdog seems to make beer for people who don't like beer

EDIT. Having read the Guardian article, I have a bit of respect for them, their heart seems to be in the right place and I'll have to give some of their other beers a try. I really, really didn't like Punk IPA though

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's JUST beer. That is it, it's not special, it's not new it's beer.

Reactions: GOM

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
When I was in the Evening Star a few months back I had a pint of Smog Rocket. You could stand a spoon in it. I survived.

I love the Evening Star, especially when they have guest ciders.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here