Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York V London

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Back working in London after a very enjoyable posting to New York.

Since my return, I've found myself constantly comparing the two cities. Each has its pros and cons and trying to work out which one is better is very difficult.

I'm going for NY. Main reasons being I prefer the restaurants (still haven't found a comparable NY steakhouse in London), it is more down to earth, cheaper and 4 high quality sports are readily available to watch live.

What do other NSCers think?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Having spent long periods of time in both, no comparison. Everything bigger, better and cheap in New York. Go round Oxford St at 8pm and it's dead. Go down 5th avenue at 8pm and you will see the difference

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's got to be London - the culture, the history and the pubs give it the edge.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Having spent a fair bit of time in both cities, there's no question that I prefer NY. If the opportunity to move there permanently arose, I'd be off in a heartbeat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having spent long periods of time in both, no comparison. Everything bigger, better and cheap in New York. Go round Oxford St at 8pm and it's dead. Go down 5th avenue at 8pm and you will see the difference

I need to give it further thought, although I think I'm likely to side with New York too.

However I don't think your comparison there is a very good one. Only this past Saturday I was in central London and the area from Piccadilly Circus through and around Leicester Square and over to Covent Garden was absolutely rammed and wonderfully vibrant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd probably go NYC. The West Village is one of my favourite places in the world.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Spent time working in NY and couldn't get on with it at all, harsh weather too. Never actually lived in London proper so can't compare

Moved job and went down to S.Cal midway between LA and San Diego, now that was streets ahead, almost regret coming back

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
For me it has to be New York by a country mile. Did two years in London and have now done 7 years in New York with no intention of returning. London clearly has the edge with its history and pageantry but I have to admit I found it depressing working there and combined with the daily commuting grind it was just exhausting.

NYC has a vitality, energy and sense of style I haven’t found anywhere else – it’s a great place to live. I also think London looks to its past whereas New York looks to the future.

Horses for courses I guess

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Can you get a decent pint of bitter in New York ? (or a decent cup of tea ?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you get a decent pint of bitter in New York ? (or a decent cup of tea ?)

Yes. Both. Cask bitter as well.

Also, to defend London, Hawksmoor steaks rival anything NYC has to offer....so I'm told. I've eaten at Hawksmoor but not at any NYC eaterie....where should I go?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes. Both. Cask bitter as well.

Also, to defend London, Hawksmoor steaks rival anything NYC has to offer....so I'm told. I've eaten at Hawksmoor but not at any NYC eaterie....where should I go?

Tricky one, based in London but spent many,many weeks in NYC over the last 15 years. I like both, but wouldn't trade London for NYC personally, although difficult to put my finger on why.

As for steaks, Goodman's in London has been absolutely fantastic on my last couple of visits. In NYC, Smith and Wollensky's or the Capital Grille (try the porcini-rubbed Delmonico) are similar.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I absolutely love NY although only been there twice for 5 night breaks. I think I know the places to go out in NY better than I would London. Maybe I should try harder with our capital.
The thing is most people are generally talking about Manhatton when they talk of NY, so not sure what it would be like living in any of the other 4 boroughs although parts of Brooklyn are great.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I absolutely love NY although only been there twice for 5 night breaks. I think I know the places to go out in NY better than I would London. Maybe I should try harder with our capital.
The thing is most people are generally talking about Manhatton when they talk of NY, so not sure what it would be like living in any of the other 4 boroughs although parts of Brooklyn are great.

I live on the Upper East Side but have friends who live in Harlem and the Bronx and love it, parts of these areas are now being gentrified. A lot of Brits now live in Queens which has become one of the up and coming destinations. Williamsburg is still Hipster Central but Red Hook in Brooklyn is also catching on. In general most New Yorkers don't have cars so rely on public transport a lot of the time - so as the subway goes to new areas they then become more popular - like Hudson Yards on the west of Manhattan after they extended the 7 line

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Both amazing cities but London does it for me, so much more history, culture and diversity whereas there's too much violence in New York (last year 112 murders in London (8.6 million population, 350 homicides in New York (8.5 million pop.))

oh yes, and of course the clincher, it's far, far easier to watch the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here