Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Wednesdays National Lottery.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
For five numbers, last nights National Lottery dividend paid the life changing amount of.......£15.

:rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave:

I haven't played for ages. I used to chuck on a couple of quid a week for the Wednesday & Saturday draw. However the new format is a pile of :shit: With the old format, you didn't have such lopsided dividend pots as you do now.

Anyone lucky enough to have those winning numbers last night? ???

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
£51 for 4 numbers
£25 for 3 numbers

If 28 had come up intsead of 41 I reckon a few would have been even more pissed off.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
That is piss poor. You'd be gutted to only get £15. Stopped doing National Lottery a few years ago. Occasionally do Euro Millions, I do the club's lottery each week, not won much on there.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Waste of time doing the lottery now. Would rather throw a couple of quid on a footy acca

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For five numbers, last nights National Lottery dividend paid the life changing amount of.......£15.

£51 for 4 numbers
£25 for 3 numbers

Hang on just a cottenpickenminute here. I haven't done the lottery for yonks, but are you telling me now that you can win more for matching 3 or 4 than you do for matching 5? Well that sounds like a good deal.

How the **** do they get away with that?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hang on just a cottenpickenminute here. I haven't done the lottery for yonks, but are you telling me now that you can win more for matching 3 or 4 than you do for matching 5?

Yep. Not the first time its happened under the new format although not as extreme as yesterday.

How the **** do they get away with that?

I'm speculating slightly. Those raffle prizes have reduced the dividend pots for each prize level. You get a draw where you have many winners divided by a reduced pot which = not a lot of £ to go around.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Yep. Not the first time its happened under the new format although not as extreme as yesterday.

I'm speculating slightly. Those raffle prizes have reduced the dividend pots for each prize level. You get a draw where you have many winners divided by a reduced pot which = not a lot of £ to go around.

How the hell can a five number pot and a five plus bonus ball pot only have £60k in. It looks as though they take out the 2 number free ticket from the fund as well. That may explain the piss poor payout.
Studio_20160324_140502.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking at the numbers - 7 / 14 / 21 / 35 / 41 / 42 I can see why so many had 5 - all bar one divisible by 7, I'd guess this is why. Shocking prize though regardless.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's it for me. I've played it via direct debit for longer than I care to remember. I think I've won 3 £10 and 2 lots of £25 (since the format changed) so 5 winners in probably 20 odd years.

Going to take the £4 I spend a week using the same numbers pick six homes off the pools list and have a £4 acca on a Saturday.

Camelot have well and truly ****ed the lottery and their contract runs until 2023.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How the hell can a five number pot and a five plus bonus ball pot only have £60k in. It looks as though they take out the 2 number free ticket from the fund as well. That may explain the piss poor payout.
View attachment 73250

JACKPOT (matching all six numbers): 1 in 45 million - Prize in that draw was £24,887,143 (0 winners)
FIVE + THE BONUS BALL: 1 in 7.5 million - Prize in that draw was £10,016 (6 winners)
FIVE: 1 in 150,000 - Prize in that draw was £15 (4,082 winners)
FOUR: 1 in 2,000 - Prize in that draw was £51 (7,879 winners)
THREE: 1 in 100 - Prize in that draw was £25 (114,232 winners)
TWO: 1 in 10 - Prize in that draw was a free ticket (938,938 winners)

The chance of winning ANY prize*: 1 in 9.2 (nearly 11%)
The chance of matching just ONE number: 1 in 2.5 (nearly 40%)
The chance of not matching ANY numbers: 1 in 2 (about 51%)

Looks a sound investment to me with such a great return rate when comparing prize payouts to the true odds of winning those prizes :shootself

Why anyone still plays it is beyond me

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As previously mentioned Wednesday's draw was an out and out fluke...almost the Lottery Perfect Storm! Lucky No 7, it just shows how many folk go 7.14.21.28.35.42 ! If 28 had been drawn instead of 41 there would have been an enormous number of Jackpot winners.
I really do (even though they won £15 more than me) feel sorry for anyone who discovered they'd got 5 numbers correct, before the dividend had been announced. :down:

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
Im a mug who still plays, same numbers ever week. Would love to give it up but just cant take the risk as no doubt numbers would come up and miss out on 20 odd million..Could get Murray back with that..

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
That's it for me. I've played it via direct debit for longer than I care to remember. I think I've won 3 £10 and 2 lots of £25 (since the format changed) so 5 winners in probably 20 odd years.

Going to take the £4 I spend a week using the same numbers pick six homes off the pools list and have a £4 acca on a Saturday.

Camelot have well and truly ****ed the lottery and their contract runs until 2023.

Doing the pools is more fun.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, this is why. You would have to be a bit of a cretin to select an obvious sequence as your lottery numbers. They got what they deserved (I feel sorry for any winners who had a lucky dip though)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I had been doing the Lotto since day 1, had a trickle of £10 wins, but stopped, like many, after the 10 extra balls came in.

They lost me as a customer, and now I just do Premium Bonds and footie bets.

Nothing better on a non Albion home day than playing Football Bingo with my 6 game 'Both Score' acca!

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
JACKPOT (matching all six numbers): 1 in 45 million - Prize in that draw was £24,887,143 (0 winners)
FIVE + THE BONUS BALL: 1 in 7.5 million - Prize in that draw was £10,016 (6 winners)
FIVE: 1 in 150,000 - Prize in that draw was £15 (4,082 winners)
FOUR: 1 in 2,000 - Prize in that draw was £51 (7,879 winners)
THREE: 1 in 100 - Prize in that draw was £25 (114,232 winners)
TWO: 1 in 10 - Prize in that draw was a free ticket (938,938 winners)

The chance of winning ANY prize*: 1 in 9.2 (nearly 11%)
The chance of matching just ONE number: 1 in 2.5 (nearly 40%)
The chance of not matching ANY numbers: 1 in 2 (about 51%)

Looks a sound investment to me with such a great return rate when comparing prize payouts to the true odds of winning those prizes :shootself

Why anyone still plays it is beyond me

Everyone knows the odds are bad, but there is a chance.

I was pleased they introduced the £1 Million raffle each draw (I would be very pleased with that) I guess all that play are going for the jackpot, it has been proved that the amount of players/money shoots up at the jackpot increases, are people really worried what the other prizes are?

I guess people vote with their feet, many still play especially as the jackpot increases, we all dream of that nice house / helping others & family / not having to do the day job any more.

The freaky main Lotto numbers (five multiples of "Lucky 7") meant that there were a large number of 5+bonus (6) and 5-match (4,082 - the 3rd highest ever) winners, resulting in extremely low individual prizes for both (£10,016 and a record-breaking £15 respectively). It was unsurprisingly the first time an individual prize amount was less than the prize two tiers lower - yes, you won more for matching 3 numbers than 5!

I guess you need to think about how you pick numbers.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Everyone knows the odds are bad, but there is a chance.

I was pleased they introduced the £1 Million raffle each draw (I would be very pleased with that) I guess all that play are going for the jackpot, it has been proved that the amount of players/money shoots up at the jackpot increases, are people really worried what the other prizes are?

I guess people vote with their feet, many still play especially as the jackpot increases, we all dream of that nice house / helping others & family / not having to do the day job any more.

The freaky main Lotto numbers (five multiples of "Lucky 7") meant that there were a large number of 5+bonus (6) and 5-match (4,082 - the 3rd highest ever) winners, resulting in extremely low individual prizes for both (£10,016 and a record-breaking £15 respectively). It was unsurprisingly the first time an individual prize amount was less than the prize two tiers lower - yes, you won more for matching 3 numbers than 5!

I guess you need to think about how you pick numbers.

Even with the millionaire raffle, the odds of winning a million are still over 10 million to 1. The more players that play, the less that chance becomes (only 1 winner £1m raffle winner regardless of how may play)

It shows how few now play the lottery as the Jackpot rolled over from £23,255,533 on Saturday to just £24,887,143 on the Wednesday, an increase in the top prize of just £1,631,610.

The Saturday draw had 1,405,213 winners, but 1,280,939 of them were free lucky dip winners leaving just 124,274 cash prize winners (including raffle winners) and just £3,865,363 given out in cash prizes for the main draw, a further £1,400,00 was given out in the raffle prizes making a total cash payout of just £5,265,363

People playing just to win the jackpot shows what a mugs game it is, the true odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 45,057,474 (and the payout doesn't reflect the odds meaning a poor return on those odds should you win, to have got the right odds for the £24,887,143 jackpot you should have stakes just £1.10 not £2 if playing for the win only, because you can win other prizes, this chances this slightly)

I personally haven't played for years. (since probably around when Princess Diana died)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here