Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who says the Germans have no sense of humour?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I don't think HT,NSC's answer to Lord Haw-Haw,realises that Owen,Gerrard,and Heskey are already on the team sheet.5-1 to the Engerrlund etc:mad:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So who defines our 'full potential' then?

It seems to be the in thing to talk down the national side pre-tournament (useless no hopers etc etc) then continue to slate them afterwards as well.

To then say that they're not hitting the full potential is a bit odd, almost implying that the team that've been called awful for a few months were actually expected to do better. In those instances, I don't see how they can win if I'm honest.

Even if we lifted the cup I'm sure someone would find a way to call us lucky.

I can't help but be downbeat about England's chances, because frankly, its all I've ever known my entire life as a fan. Sometimes we put in a reasonable or decent performance on our way out (86, 90, 96, 98), but more often than not, we completely STINK the whole place out (choose pretty much any other year other than the ones I've listed). Either way, it always ends in crushing disappointment and often outright embarrassment.

This current team isn't awful. It has some potential, I've certainly seen a lot worse. But I'm almost certain they WILL disappoint us this summer, because its just what England teams do. If we play well and make the Final, but get beat, then I think I'd be ok with that. Or even an EPIC semi-final where we go down fighting would be ok, at least we'd have gone deep into the tournament.

But my gut feeling is that when the pressure is on, our players will once again underperform, and then all the "tiredness" excuses will be trotted out. Same old same old. But I'd LOVE to be wrong this time, I truly would.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
and who thought it was a good idea to advertise "World of tanks" at a Germany game, Panzers up and down the wing, stirring the blood.........

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The missus is half German but this is my only family connection. But, I admire the way the Germans play and really admired how they set about creating the system which produced the winning team two years back. I don't support them as such. As for England I can't be arsed with them any more, I really dislike most of the cock-sure players and their sense of entitlement. If a new crop come along who are not a bunch of over-paid bell-ends my thoughts might change. Until then I'll remain a Brighton supporter and nothing else. The last England game is saw was against Azerbaijan away.

Agree with your sentiments about the overpaid cocksure player's. To have any chance they need to be shipped out and younger players with hunger and pride to play for their country crafted in

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
In answer to the OP presumably it was a German who decided to broadcast “Always look on the bright side of life” after the game!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
By playing to our full potential, but losing to the better team. Not hanging on for dear life and then (at best) flidding up on the pens, as is our speciality.

Watch any one of our penalty shootout exits, and you will be besieged by chokers. From Waddle to Pearce to Batty to Lampard to Gerrard. Choke choke choke choke choke, then hometime. OBVIOUSLY other teams are also sent home this way too, but no other nation have made it into the artform England have over the years, to the extent that it is now passed down from different generations of players in the form of a gigantic mental block.

And I'm sorry, but Argentina 86 were average. The best team doesn't *always* win the World Cup. They played against us, Uruguay and Belgium in the knockouts to reach the Final (having qualified from a straightforward group where they only had to finish above Bulgaria and South Korea). I think France or Brazil would have wiped the floor with them in the knockouts, but they avoided them and progressed accordingly.

Are you telling me Greece were the best team in Europe in 2004 ?

You omitted Southgate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Guten Morgen everyone. I've just surfaced but I'll think I'll go back under the duvet :lolol: Späters.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The best England performance since Euro 96 England V Holland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here