Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who says the Germans have no sense of humour?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Happy Easter everyone, have a nice and long weekend :smile:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
England have encouraging players now, but they have to overcome the cycle of failure.

They have still yet to knock out a big team from the Euros or World Cup on foreign soil. FACT

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Just curious Herr Tubthumper but do you have some family connection to Germany or are you an English person who has nailed his flag to a more successful footballing nation? I know Man of Harvey's falls into the first category but I never really understand the disdain towards England from someone who seems, well, so English.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
England have encouraging players now, but they have to overcome the cycle of failure.

They have still yet to knock out a big team from the Euros or World Cup on foreign soil. FACT

What about Argentina in 2002?

Appreciate it's all a matter of opinions but you'd be hard pressed to disqualify them as a big team surely?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just curious Herr Tubthumper but do you have some family connection to Germany or are you an English person who has nailed his flag to a more successful footballing nation? I know Man of Harvey's falls into the first category but I never really understand the disdain towards England from someone who seems, well, so English.

MoH is indeed half-German and shows absolutely no disdain towards England. Herr Tubthumper has this stupid mentality where he can't bring himself to praise Germany without knocking this country. I don't understand why he can't praise other countries and cultures without constantly knocking our own. It's incredibly boring.

That said, I don't think we have a notable chance in the Euros - we are way, way behind. Take France as an example - Kante, who has basically run the show for champions-elect, Leicester, is only their FIFTH choice midfielder. Germany and Spain are a different class. We do have goalscorers but our defence and midfield are nowhere near the required standard. And whilst our keeper is adequate, we don't have much in the way of cover.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We have choked at every single Finals tournament in my life. I see no reason why this one will be any different.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wo, don't give in so easily! No one said anything about it being in a knock out round.
Huh. So they didn't. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

We beat them in the group stage not a knock out round.

As Argentina didn't win that World Cup, I'm going to suggest that the mental anguish caused by losing to the power of the Mighty Beckham's right foot was a direct cause of their eventual failure to best Sweden.

To whit; we knocked them out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Huh. So they didn't. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
Always glad to be of service.

As Argentina didn't win that World Cup, I'm going to suggest that the mental anguish caused by losing to the power of the Mighty Beckham's right foot was a direct cause of their eventual failure to best Sweden.

To whit; we knocked them out.
And had we have lost to Nigeria, Argentine could have qualified. We got a point from Nigeria, taking 2nd place in the group from Argentina, this knocking them out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Probably not likely but it is possible to do a Denmark/Greece

I don't think it's the same though. No matter how crap we are, teams always play us like we're a top team, never taking playing England likely. Even if we are logically an underdog, we're never treated as one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here