Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junior doctors to escalate industrial action to all-out strike next month

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The union which represents*junior doctorshas*dramatically escalated its dispute*with the government over new contracts by announcing a two-day, all-out strike at the end of April, in which even emergency cover will be withdrawn.

The*British Medical Association said*that a previously announced strike by junior doctors between 8am and 5pm on 26 and 27 April would change from an emergency care only strike to a “full withdrawal of labour”. “This means that all junior doctors will not attend work, or provide emergency cover between those hours,” it said in a statement.

The professional body said it was acting in response to the government’s refusal to back down on threats to impose a new contract on junior doctors, despite their objections.

Fully agree with the JD'S. .

boik

I feel like I instinctively want to support the junior doctors, but I'm a bit confused as to what the problem is. Basic pay is going up, the only people who will lose financially are those that specifically choose to work more antisocial than social hours. Trainees all to be paid the same depending on where they are in training rather than how long they've spent getting there. Maximum hours down from 91 to 72 hours in a 7 day period.

What have a missed? I see BMA references to removal of safeguards but without any details.

Don't jump on me for being anti JD cause I'm certainly not. Had an op on Monday and full of praise for the staff. I'd just like to understand a bit more.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Disgraceful action by the BMA and the junior doctors.
Under no circumstances can this action be justified.
Make no mistake this is about politics and money,not patient safety.
The offer from the Government is pretty fair and any disagreements over fine details do not warrant this kind of action.
Patient safety, my arse, they won't even provide emergency cover.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Fully agree with the JD'S. .

Hopefully you won't need emergency care on those days then or be in pain waiting for treatment that will inevitably be cancelled. Rather a risky escalation of their action in my view. It looks like the welfare of patients isn't much of a priority anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
****ing chaos in the uk. Who voted for these clowns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The offer from the Government is pretty fair and any disagreements over fine details do not warrant this kind of action.

The bottom line is its up the Hunt and the doctors to sort out. Its their dispute and up to them to decide if it's warranted or not.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Hopefully you won't need emergency care on those days then or be in pain waiting for treatment that will inevitably be cancelled. Rather a risky escalation of their action in my view. It looks like the welfare of patients isn't much of a priority anymore.

Doctors are amongst the highest paid employee's in the country. With all sort of additional pay for working anti social hours. lots of jobs now operate a shift pattern to including such anti-social hours in order to avoid these payments and unfortunately the NHS are playing catch up.

The government have been working their way through all sorts of sectors and changing contracts to be reasonable and now the Doctors are gambling with patient care

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

There is no offer from the Government, it is being imposed.

What elements of the revised conditions that the Government is imposing do you believe are fair?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Senior doctors and nursing staff will deal with emergencies and pain relief.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bloody murderers these doctors if you ask me, and Jeremy Hunt, who has PROOFED that more people die at weekends. AND they get loads of nurses too.

There's 1.8 million people unemployed in this country, just sack the lefties and replace them with people happy to do the job.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No-one will die because of this, cover will be provided by consultants and, if it came to it, do you really think doctors would stand on a picket line while someone bled to death in the hospital they are picketing ?

If Hunt is still so intransigent that he won't come back to the negotiating table, then Cameron should sack him. I fear he won't.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I blame Labour giving crazy pay rises to Labour when in power and now creating high expectations..

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I support them. My girlfriend is a nurse and no doubt they have a rough time and are over worked.

But - just don't strike in A&E. Putting people's lives at risk is morally wrong in my book and the militants could turn public opinion against them. This crosses the line between genuine grievance and politics.

Consultants can cover - but to me a strike in an A&E department just doesn't comprehend.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
But there's still a shortage of doctors though, which doesn't suggest they are overpaid.

Isn't a lot of the shortage of doctors more to do with a lack of opportunities to train in this country rather than the disincentive of what may not be considered to be high enough pay?

Loads of straight-A students in this country miss out on the opportunity to begin a Medicine degree every year because the courses are so competitive. There might be good reasons why these students are rejected - but the shortage of doctors does not seem to be because of lack of people willing to become doctors.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Isn't a lot of the shortage of doctors more to do with a lack of opportunities to train in this country rather than the disincentive of what may not be considered to be high enough pay?

Loads of straight-A students in this country miss out on the opportunity to begin a Medicine degree every year because the courses are so competitive. There might be good reasons why these students are rejected - but the shortage of doctors does not seem to be because of lack of people willing to become doctors.

It's probably due to governments of all hues failing to invest in new medical schools and instead relying on short term solutions such as recruiting from overseas and making doctors work silly hours.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's probably due to governments of all hues failing to invest in new medical schools and instead relying on short term solutions such as recruiting from overseas and making doctors work silly hours.

Yep - that's pretty much my point, just expressed in a different way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here