Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton v Garcia v Poyet @ 38 games

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was curious how our current position contrasted with Poyet's 2012-13 side at the same point of the season. I threw in Garcia's side too.

Interesting that the Poyet side had scored more goals but was unable to convert those goals into wins as efficiently as the current side.

I'd also forgotten how goal-shy the Garcia side was...

Code:
[b]Year/Manager            P         W         D         L         F         A       GD        Pts[/b]
15-16 Hughton          38        19        14         5        52        35      +17         71
13-14 Garcia           38        15        11        12        39        33       +6         56
12-13 Poyet            38        15        14         9        54        38      +16         59

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was curious how our current position contrasted with Poyet's 12-13 side at the same point of the season. I threw in Garcia's side too.

Interesting that the Poyet side had scored more goals but was unable to convert those goals into wins as efficiently as the current side.

Code:
[b]Year/Manager            P         W         D         L         F         A       GD        Pts[/b]
15-16 Hughton          38        19        14         5        52        35      +17         71
13-14 Garcia           38        15        11        12        39        33       +6         56
12-13 Poyet            38        15        14         9        54        38      +16         59

After the Blackpool game maybe? We hit six of those 54 goals in that one game (well, four from your seat).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hughton is definitely in my top 3 all-time favourite managers and it's not even for having stats like you've just produced [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. The man just oozes class, I hope he's with us for a long time.

If (big if...) we go up and then go straight back down, I think I would still want Hughton to be our manager.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was curious how our current position contrasted with Poyet's 12-13 side at the same point of the season. I threw in Garcia's side too.

Code:

Near identical goal difference too.

It does show that CH has done very well in reaping points. He's probably had less possession than GP's teams and, probably, fewer shots too. It's a really efficient team.

OG's team looks a lot worse, although the stats don't reflect the appalling run of injuries he had. It's noticeable that CH's only bad run came in the middle of his one bad patch of injuries

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It does show that CH has done very well in reaping points. He's probably had less possession than GP's teams and, probably, fewer shots too. It's a really efficient team.

Agreed although Poyet's side was described, quite deliciously as 'languidly clinical'. That's a beautiful phrase.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Interesting it clearly illustrates just how good a position we find ourselves in. 12 points in front of Poyet's side at this point shows how good a unit this squad is. Strange how your mind plays tricks as I thought of Poyet's squad as superior but you cannot hide from those stats...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Poyet team finished well taking 16 points from the final 8 games remaining undefeated.

Final stats looked like this

Pld 46 won 19 drew 18 lost 9 For 69 Against 43 GD +26 Pts 75

Hull went up automatically with 79 points and a +9 goal difference.

A repeat of the Poyet finish this season would mean a great chance of the title or automatic promotion.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting it clearly illustrates just how good a position we find ourselves in. 12 points in front of Poyet's side at this point shows how good a unit this squad is. Strange how your mind plays tricks as I thought of Poyet's squad as superior but you cannot hide from those stats...

The main failure of that side was the ability to convert dominance into wins. I remember at the end of the season working out we 'should have' had 15 points more than we ended up with. There were a couple of games where we got either a point or a win which we didn't deserve, but a lot more where we were clearly the superior side but either drew or lost (anyone remember Bolton at home?!). Most of these games happened before we signed Ulloa - he made a huge difference in the second half of the season as we actually had someone who could stick the ball in the net. I still maintain we were the best team in the Championship that season - but the final position and points tally sadly don't reflect this.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would love it if CH was with us for a really long time and builds a real legacy. I think the most consistently successful clubs have stability. Very interesting to see the stats.

I also think Oscar did an amazing job he had players falling like flies, during his one season. He does not seem to stay more then one season at most anywhere so I didn't take his diparture as an insult, he's a bit flaky.

Gus was loveable loony for me when we were able to play his style of football properly (not often in the championship) it was a thing of beauty.

With CH even though we are doing better then before, I'm not put in to a panic every time a manager from another team is sacked, I maybe naive but I get the feeling he will be more respectful. What the stats do prove though is that we need to get him a decent song, finding something that is good and rhymes with Hughton seems to be beyond us.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What the stats do prove though is that we need to get him a decent song

'Chrissy Hooton's blue & white army!'? It ain't rocket science....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The mere fact that the current squad is both more effective than GPs and (much) more attractive than OGs is good enough for me

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Proves the possession game is a load of bollocks.

No, it just 'proves' that we don't/didn't have the right kind of players to execute it to full ability, and also that the physical nature of the Championship probably isn't the optimum place to try - Barcelona and Spain's multiple successes at international level playing possession football over the last decade or so prove that it is very much not bollocks.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No, it just 'proves' that we don't/didn't have the right kind of players to execute it to full ability, and also that the physical nature of the Championship probably isn't the optimum place to try - Barcelona and Spain's multiple successes at international level playing possession football over the last decade or so prove that it is very much not bollocks.

What was funny was when played it in league one at the Withdean, you would see the opposition players looking completely perplexed. It was like "they are top we are going to park the bus, oh they keep passing the ball side to side. If we want to get the ball we will have to press them. Let's press them, oh dear they have scored."

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What was funny was when played it in league one at the Withdean, you would see the opposition players looking completely perplexed. It was like "they are top we are going to park the bus, oh they keep passing the ball side to side. If we want to get the ball we will have to press them. Let's press them, oh dear they have scored."

Agreed and I used to chuckle when Ankergren would just stand there with the ball at his feet and on more than one occasion an opposition player would moan to the ref about time-wasting only for the ref to point out that the ball was in play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here