Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A future when food is free ..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This has nothing to do with our promotion chances but it's an interesting idea: a world where raw food is free but there's a premium for cooked grub. Read it here

I like people who look into the future and try to predict what's coming, driverless cars would have been science fiction just 20 years ago, yet there'll be the norm within my lifetime (provided I'm not run over by one next year). Who knows - free food may be the crazy idea that happens

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This has nothing to do with our promotion chances but it's an interesting idea: a world where raw food is free but there's a premium for cooked grub. Read it here

I like people who look into the future and try to predict what's coming, driverless cars would have been science fiction just 20 years ago, yet there'll be the norm within my lifetime (provided I'm not run over by one next year). Who knows - free food may be the crazy idea that happens

Who would grow / produce it for free? How would it be transported to towns and cities and sold / delivered to individuals to consume?

Why would people be willing to sacrifice their labour and work long hours on farms and alike to produce it only to give it away?

Dec 29, 2011
The article seems to offer no explanation. A bloke said 'food will be free in the future' but provides no explanation or reasoning. The only way I can see this is if it's government funded and completely automated. From the planting, watering, harvesting and delivery all being automated. Then we'd only have to pay managers and technicians rather than labour which would reduce costs immensely.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thought the idea was quite neat comparing the economies of open source software being free and only chargeable once adapted for particular use. Thought the mental mapping was quite interesting too. We need me futurist thinkers challenging our unbreakable concepts that we rely on so heavily.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thought the idea was quite neat comparing the economies of open source software being free and only chargeable once adapted for particular use. Thought the mental mapping was quite interesting too. We need me futurist thinkers challenging our unbreakable concepts that we rely on so heavily.

That was my thought too. Look at the models that have emerged in the last few years: we get our news for free instead of from paid-for newspapers. We get free software. We can ride in private cars rather than taxis. We watch films at home, sent to us at a press of a button.

We should be looking at the next wave of disruption. Amazon is already talking about the end of courier companies and I mentioned driverless cars - why not food?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this could have been thought provoking, except for:

“This unthinkable future could happen I suppose, but only if part of the income that comes from the cooking, processing and the serving of the food of can get back to the end producer. Then it could feasibly happen,” said Schwartz.

so its not free then. he's just described an economy, he suggesting the producer defers payment until the processor, retailer or others have sold the goods to the end consumer. aka credit.

nothing is free unless someone gives their labour for nothing (and technically even then theres the opportunity cost that can be quantified). open source software is an edge case where people give their spare time, educational research time, or for more substantial projects paid for by employers. along with music and few other products, as the authors own the IP and the cost of replicating each product is zero, they can distribute the product for no cost. but the distribution methods are not free, just subsidiesd by some organisation, the electricty and hardware isnt free. i wonder if Mr Schwartz would continue to think the unthinkable if Saleforce didnt credit his bank at the end of the month?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
this could have been thought provoking, except for:

so its not free then. he's just described an economy, he suggesting the producer defers payment until the processor, retailer or others have sold the goods to the end consumer. aka credit.

nothing is free unless someone gives their labour for nothing (and technically even then theres the opportunity cost that can be quantified). open source software is an edge case where people give their spare time, educational research time, or for more substantial projects paid for by employers. along with music and few other products, as the authors own the IP and the cost of replicating each product is zero, they can distribute the product for no cost. but the distribution methods are not free, just subsidiesd by some organisation, the electricty and hardware isnt free. i wonder if Mr Schwartz would continue to think the unthinkable if Saleforce didnt credit his bank at the end of the month?

This.

The fatal flaw in his idea.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do have a solution for food being free:

We have World War 3 and wipe out most of the humans, and those left can be hunter gatherers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here