Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team vs Burnley

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I know the game is still a fair bit of time away, but would be interested to hear peoples views.

We've struggled to get wins against the top sides this season, with Hull (H) and Ipswich (A) our only victories against the top 8. Having said that we have only lost to Middlesbrough (H), Ipswich (H) (both injury ridden) and Cardiff (A). For me, it's a careful balancing act, it's a game which we can't afford to lose (imo) but a win would give us a huge boost for the rest of the season.

I would go with a somewhat defensive starting line up of..

------------------------Stockdale----------------------------

Bruno-----------Dunk-----------Goldson-----------Bong

Rosenior-------Kayal---------Stephens----------Murphy

------------------Hemed--------Baldock---------------------

But with the likes of Wilson, LuaLua, Knockaert, Skalak on the bench we could change things up.

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I know the game is still a fair bit of time away, but would be interested to hear peoples views.

We've struggled to get wins against the top sides this season, with Hull (H) and Ipswich (A) our only victories against the top 8. Having said that we have only lost to Middlesbrough (H) and Cardiff (A). For me, it's a careful balancing act, it's a game which we can't afford to lose (imo) but a win would give us a huge boost for the rest of the season.

I would go with a somewhat defensive starting line up of..

Bruno-----------Dunk-----------Goldson-----------Bong

Rosenior-------Kayal---------Stephens----------Murphy

------------------Hemed--------Baldock---------------------

But with the likes of Wilson, LuaLua, Knockaert, Skalak on the bench we could change things up.

That looks about right to me.

it's great to have the option of Liam in midfield again after Bong finally coming back

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Bruno-----------Dunk-----------Goldson-----------Rosenoir.

Knockaert-------Kayal---------Stephens----------Murphy

------------------Hemed--------Skalak---------------------

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Knockers has to play. He is due a good game and will be well rested. Knockers for Liam on the right, Liam for Bong at left back.

Knocky certainly works hard and I wouldn't be adverse to him starting just feel like some of our best performances across the whole season came with Rosenior on the right wing (and LuaLua on the left, but still seems well off the pace).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Bruno-----------Dunk-----------Goldson-----------Rosenoir.

------------------Hemed--------Skalak---------------------

Skalak? I want to like him, I really do. He's a Czech full international FFS, and shows signs of flairtastic-ness. However, other than the cross for Hemed's goal, which was sublime, I've seen very little that's really impressed me. He's also a straight red card waiting to happen - he's pretty volatile.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Stockdale----------------------------

Bruno-----------Dunk-----------Goldson-----------Bong.

------------------Wilson--------Baldock ------------------

Bench: Maenpaa, Greer, Rosenior, Hemed, Zamora, Sidwell, Stalak

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Skalak? I want to like him, I really do. He's a Czech full international FFS, and shows signs of flairtastic-ness. However, other than the cross for Hemed's goal, which was sublime, I've seen very little that's really impressed me. He's also a straight red card waiting to happen - he's pretty volatile.

It could work having a tenacious forward playing around and behind Hemed.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Barring injury i can't see Bong getting his place back tbh.

The only positions that are in doubt are the two up front and one of the wingers. Knockheart back in place of Skalak. Hemed has to play in my view. Then its a straight pick between Wilson or Baldock. Wilson for me I think.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Knocky certainly works hard and I wouldn't be adverse to him starting just feel like some of our best performances across the whole season came with Rosenior on the right wing (and LuaLua on the left, but still seems well off the pace).

I see where you are coming from, but we are at home. Make Burnley worry about us. They will have to gang up on Knockers, which usually means that Murphy gets a bit more space and time. That would not happen if we played Liam.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

This.

I have mentioned in another thread that we have to have our discipline about us, as I am sure there are many here who remember us having two sent off against Burnley at The Amex in 2011 - 12 minutes and down to 9 men, we don't want or need a repeat of that level of indiscipline and need players that can keep their heads when riled!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I think Rosenior could be a key player for you - we play with inverse wingers and both Boyd and Arfield really attack the space between the full back and the centre back. Boyd isn't as effective but he'll be running that line all day and it's usually easier to defend for a right footed player who is at left back.

I'm looking forward to a good game - I'd love both teams to go up, obviously Brighton are my second team in the division. I reckon it'll be a draw though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No mentions of Murray yet, then...? :moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me:

Stockdale
Bruno..Goldson..Dunk..Bong
Knockaert...Stephens..Kayal..Murphy
Wilson..Baldock

Subs: Maenpaa, Rosenior, Greer, Hemed Skalak, Lua Lua BZ ( or GM)​

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stockdale
Bruno Goldson Dunk Bong
Rosenoir Stephens Kayal Murphy
Lua Lua
Hemed

Subs: Mäenpää, Hünemeier (or Calderón), Sidwell, Greer, Knockaert, Zamora, Skalák
Reserves: Wilson, Baldock

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Stockdale
Bruno-Dunk-Goldson-Rosenior
Knockaert-Stephens-Kayal-Murphy
Hemed-Baldock​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here