Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
https://twitter.com/andynaylorargus/status/711888566935228416
I get that the attendance levels and noise has dropped since our first 2 seasons under Poyet. But I still think that atmos at a lot of other clubs is worse or non existent. Yes we have the early leavers problem but in general, the noise isn't too bad. At least from where I sit in the ESU. I don't understand the timing of his piece. After taking 7k to MK Dons, and having a near 100% season ticket renewal and pushing for promotion, he decides to write this . I think it's a wider issue, one of price and over zealous stewarding that has contributed to a reduction of noise, of course on top of a Dull, and then Awful 2 seasons. Attendances were bound to fall and match by match prices are too high to attract casual support.
I just don't get why, why slag us now?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Loosely translated as "If I write a piece slating the support, they will be so indignant and eager to prove me wrong, the atmosphere for the remaining games will be a veritable CALDERON of noise".

Which is EXACTLY what the club want.

Clever.

Does 'Andy Naylor is a wanker' count as support?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm wondering if it would help if we waited to read the article first to see what his viewpoint is?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He has got a point, the atmosphere is not always a wall of noise. Credit to those who try to create an atmosphere but it does not filter through the crowd. I'm just as much to blame, GOSBTS and Ring of Fire and I am done.

We need to do something to give us the home advantage.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Christ - I haven't heard him mentioned for a while. Seems very odd timing but he has to come up with something controversial to try and sell papers, with everything going well at the moment that has probably been a bit hard for him

Might even have a positive impact

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Sales bait for the paper version of a production that is a pale shadow of its former self.

Having said that, Naylor has a point of sorts. The atmosphere was fine in the first two seasons but has been a bit flat and intermittent ever since. Its not unique to the Amex though. Many new all seater stadia have similar issues.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Read his Twitter feed, it gives you a good idea. He 'strongly disagrees' that the Amex support is near that of other clubs.

Which 'other clubs' does he have in mind, do you think?

Dortmund? Boca Juniors? Galatasaray?

Because it sure as hell does NOT compare at all poorly, to other clubs in the Championship.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He's not 100% wrong imho
But surely this isn't a problem confined to the Amex. Atmospheres have been declining as prices and prawn sandwiches have been increasing. At least the Amex has soul, local beers, local pies, proper loyal supporters that fought thick and thin to get the Amex.
I agree we need to up the noise, but to have a go at our support now, after the weekend and the renewals. I just don't understand it. Why?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
But surely this isn't a problem confined to the Amex. Atmospheres have been declining as prices and prawn sandwiches have been increasing. At least the Amex has soul, local beers, local pies, proper loyal supporters that fought thick and thin to get the Amex.
I agree we need to up the noise, but to have a go at our support now, after the weekend and the renewals. I just don't understand it. Why?

To get a reaction? To make people sing again? To stop people prioritising the first train home over a possible 90th minute winner?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Amex can sound a bit stale. No worse than places like the Emirates and the Ethihad though. But untill safe standing is introduced, this will be the case up and down the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here