Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Subsidy - dead man walking?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Will the travel subsidy be withdrawn in the coming years?
The contribution the club makes to the cost of travel has grown meaning we have a large seven-figure transport bill that other clubs don’t have. When we tell other clubs about our travel subsidy, they think we’re absolutely mad! I don’t really care what they think though; we do it for the right reasons and it has helped us to grow our support for the club since the Amex opened. However, with a seven-figure bill to consider every season, it has to be something that we keep constantly under review and it’s not something we can promise or guarantee forever. If we’re still in the Championship next season and we’re faced with clubs that have the biggest parachute payments ever, the transport levy would effectively be a minimum of £1m off our playing budget versus our competitors who will have significantly more money at their disposal. We had to pay for the transport infrastructure to get the stadium open and we’re still paying for it. We extended the travel zone because so many fans living on the edge of the county weren’t benefitting from the subsidy. We have been deliberately targeting supporters from Hastings along and to make it as fair as we can for as many people we can.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't it part of the planning consent for the stadium? Can they just bin that off easily?

I'm not sure the local authorities (particularly Green members) would wish to be seen discouraging use of public transport.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I may be going mad, but for the first season at the Amex did the travel subsidy exist? For some reason only thought it was introduced after.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They could reduce the area of the travel subsidy to the city of Brighton and Hove, so all those travelling from further afield need to pay to get to Brighton but can get free public transport for the final leg to the ground.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I may be going mad, but for the first season at the Amex did the travel subsidy exist? For some reason only thought it was introduced after.

Always been part of it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I seem to recall for the first season you had to buy a book of tickets which were less than the cost of the bus or train fare, but believe never checked on leaving ground so they changed operation to include in ticket price

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think the travel subsidy is one of the best things done by the club since the AMEX was opened. It offered a significant incentive to fans who'd had lost the habit of going to return and especially those who had to travel from out of town. This was something that had been steadily eroding since the 80's and is a key to the revival in fan numbers. I know it will have to go one day but I would like to see it remain as long as possible. I say that as a Brightonian who rarely if ever uses my travel.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I seem to recall for the first season you had to buy a book of tickets which were less than the cost of the bus or train fare, but believe never checked on leaving ground so they changed operation to include in ticket price
That was my thought as well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

The first season we all had to buy a book of tickets and then in season two the ST cost was increased so everybody had the travel subsidy included. The main result of this was a certain poster threatening to take the club to the Hague because he had to pay for train travel which he gets free anywhere else in the world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect the extra trains on a matchday would go if the travel subsidy went.

Definitely, that is what the travel subsidy pays for plus buses etc

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
They would have to remove the parking restrictions around the stadium if they ever did remove the subsidy.

I'm pretty sure the exclusion zones are not legally enforceable anyway.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
You had to buy travel vouchers for the first season ... I say 'had to', nobody did, hence them forcing you to.

Yes - I bought two books and still have the stubs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here