Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Technology

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just a wild though after the Fabregas free kick (wall was 12 yards away accoording to the TV pundits), and an EMail circular from Lidl.

Would it be practical for the ref to measure the distance of a free kick wall with an ultrasonic distance sensor?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A premier league lino told me they were told to ignore foul throws to keep the game flowing. Also to not flag for obvious obstruction when players shepherd the ball out of play.

But if they pulled players up for foul throws it would only take a couple of weekends for the message to sink in.

Also on throw ins, why not go back to the awarding the throw to the other team when taken from the wrong position.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A premier league lino told me they were told to ignore foul throws to keep the game flowing.

if we are talking about the opposition player not retreating number of yards, they are simply playing advantage. if its something else, they probably arent foul throws, just as players "sheparding" the ball isnt obstruction if the player is deemed in control of the ball (we did that one couple of weeks ago).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Just a wild though after the Fabregas free kick (wall was 12 yards away accoording to the TV pundits), and an EMail circular from Lidl.

Would it be practical for the ref to measure the distance of a free kick wall with an ultrasonic distance sensor?

I'm confused, so forgive me if I'm getting something wrong here, but isn't the distance required to be left by a wall 10 yards? If so, why would it matter if it happened to be 12 yards (or however many) away instead? 10 yards is a minimum distance, not a required one...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The referee walk is one of the funniest things in football.

I have a retractable tape measure on my keys.

I can measure 10 yards in seconds. Never understood this. You can buy them for a couple of quid.

:clap::clap:

Referees carry whistles and cards. For some reason unbeknown to the world they never thought a tape measure would be useful.

pocket_tape.jpg

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I'm confused, so forgive me if I'm getting something wrong here, but isn't the distance required to be left by a wall 10 yards? If so, why would it matter if it happened to be 12 yards (or however many) away instead? 10 yards is a minimum distance, not a required one...

The wall was measured 10 yards from the ball by the ref, and the line drawn, however unbeknown to the ref Fabregas moved the ball back 2 yards to make it 12 yards. I suspect if the wall walked forwards 2 yards to get it back to 10 yards, the ref would have penalised them for infringement (even though technically speaking, all they were doing was making the distance 10 yards again).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The wall was measured 10 yards from the ball by the ref, and the line drawn, however unbeknown to the ref Fabregas moved the ball back 2 yards to make it 12 yards. I suspect if the wall walked forwards 2 yards to get it back to 10 yards, the ref would have penalised them for infringement (even though technically speaking, all they were doing was making the distance 10 yards again).

Well spotted. Two minutes to go against Boro, and they get a free kick, I hope we up to the tricks of the trade.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If referees want a reliable guide to measure out 10 yards quickly and easily they should give Tony Rougier a call.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I think the point here, is that by taking the ball back two yards, after the ref has positioned the wall 10 yards away, the player taking the kick (Fabregas) has improved the potential angle for getting the ball up and over the wall and onto goal. Simple maths at work, I believe.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I think the point here, is that by taking the ball back two yards, after the ref has positioned the wall 10 yards away, the player taking the kick (Fabregas) has improved the potential angle for getting the ball up and over the wall and onto goal. Simple maths at work, I believe.
Cheers both, I hadn't seen him move the ball back, just the strike itself. With it now!

What a cheeky sod.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Cheers both, I hadn't seen him move the ball back, just the strike itself. With it now!

What a cheeky sod.

I am a little surprised that more players haven't tried this, in particular when very close to the box, the extra couple of yards could make all the difference to the amount of lift the kicker could get over the wall.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am a little surprised that more players haven't tried this, in particular when very close to the box, the extra couple of yards could make all the difference to the amount of lift the kicker could get over the wall.

But as Plooks said, the ref usually marks where the ball should be so in this case the official was still at fault. Given that it's pretty easy to work out distances in that part of the pitch as the penalty spot is 10 yards from the line of the D, it was very obvious the defenders had a case.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The ref marks where the ball is placed as well. So it would be obvious the ball was moved?

They pick up the foam mark and move it back a couple of yards whilst the ref is pacing out the 10 yards from the original spot with his back to the ball, when the ref looks again, the ball is still by the foam mark so probably won't realise that it had been moved backwards

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The referee walk is one of the funniest things in football.

I have a retractable tape measure on my keys.

I can measure 10 yards in seconds. Never understood this. You can buy them for a couple of quid.

:clap::clap:

Referees carry whistles and cards. For some reason unbeknown to the world they never thought a tape measure would be useful.

pocket_tape.jpg

Good call. Someone's got to hold the other end though.

Refs could tell whichever prima donna has stepped up to take the free kick to put his foot on the end of the tape while ref measures out the distance. If the prima donna refuses to undertake said menial task, book him :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I remember a game at the Withdean where the crowd counted out the ref's steps, and he stopped at 9 - I guess he thought we were deliberately counting wrong to make him go further, but we weren't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here