Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boaty McBoatface... Only in the UK would this happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I fear that #BoatyMcBoatface is the UK's own Donald Trump moment. People shouldn't be allowed to vote for things - we're idiots"

:lol:

PS - why does the headline say "RRS Boaty McBoatface Sunk By Own Creator" ?

It hasn't been built, let alone sunk.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It's made the headlines and created a lot of interest. More interest than if it had been named anything else.

Job done.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's a testament to the enduring English sense of humour.

A bit like Frank Hann's discovery of an huge Queensland lake that frustratingly turned out to be salt water. It was, and still is, known as Lake Disappointment.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
"I fear that #BoatyMcBoatface is the UK's own Donald Trump moment. People shouldn't be allowed to vote for things - we're idiots"

:lol:

PS - why does the headline say "RRS Boaty McBoatface Sunk By Own Creator" ?

It hasn't been built, let alone sunk.

The name was created by James Hand for a joke and he's apologised

James Hand, a former BBC Radio Jersey presenter, was behind the suggestion of Boaty McBoatface but says he has since apologised to the NERC.
"I've actually been speaking a bit to the people behind the website. I've apologised profusely.
"What I keep saying to people is, this is actually nothing to do with me. I made the suggestion but the storm that's been created, it's got legs of its own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35861444

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I am sure people know that Captain Cook when surveying New Zealand was mapping the coastline and came across bay after bay of that countries gorgeous coastline. When they ran out of names someone said "Doubtless another bay". It's still called that to this day. Just saying.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Here's hoping that they capitalise on the interest this has generated by letting the name stand...

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Excellent work that man - makes you proud to be British :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here