Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Donald Trump

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just watched the Sky News special on him on catch up.

Can he really win?

And how would he as President affect the rest of the world?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If he gets the nomination he has a very good chance. Hillary isn't really liked within her party and is going to get some bad publicity about her private email. Trump seems to get a lot of people voting for him that don't usually vote for anybody.

Dec 29, 2011
Remember the people who vote in primaries are usually the most hardcore supporters of their parties. When it comes to the general the ballots will be open to millions more voters, very few of which are going to agree with Trumps stance on a lot of things. Hillary is highly disliked by many democrats, but something like 30% of republicans said they would never vote for trump either so it will be close. I personally think Clinton will beat Trump in the same way she beat Sanders; people voting for her because they known her name. Don't underestimate the power of having a former president for a husband.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even if he get's the nomination, he isn't going to win. He has upset too many different groups of people, most importantly, women. Saw an article in the times yesterday where his previous comments are coming back to haunt him and the polls suggesting he is well behind in getting the female vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-said-about-women_us_55d356a8e4b07addcb442023

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y/news-story/d28d015db48051f5ddb13cb174b619c3

The later seems to be the article that was in yesterday Times.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Remember the people who vote in primaries are usually the most hardcore supporters of their parties. ....
That's true. The one interesting thing about this election is that in order to secure the Republican nomination the candidates have to say the most vile things in order to appeal to the hard core of all-American loonies who make up the bulk of registered Republicans. Then once they've won the nomination they realise that in order to become president they need to appeal to ordinary, decent Americans - not just Republicans. Then you get massive back-tracking with the Republican candidate desperately trying to put a positive spin on what they've said during the Primaries: "Err, when I said the poor should be 'stoned to death' I was of course, er, talking about er, our .... free narcotics program for the inner cities! That's how liberal I am!"

With Trump though you just know that he won't retract a single word, indeed he'll probably embellish it: "Muslims must register? Hell yeah. And they must be tattooed so the police can recognise them."

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The Republicans have failed to learn from the mistakes of Mitt Romney's campaign. The mistake was you need the Hispanic and Black vote to win the election. Trump has no favor in these communities and has caused great tension in his own party.

The most interesting moment for me this week is hardened Democrats voting in Kasich (a Republican) in Ohio. These voters are hoping to slow down (even derail) Trump's campaign. By doing this they're hoping Trump won't secure enough votes for the nomination and the Republican Party may choose a different nominee at their convention later in the year.

*Ohio is a open state meaning you can vote for a different party in the primary and the general.*

The Clintons built up such good will in Black communities in the nineties and these voters are flocking to Hillary.

This is a great article in the New Yorker on where things stand currently in American politics:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/21/bernie-hillary-and-the-new-democratic-party

If it's Hillary V Trump. Then Hillary takes him to the cleaners and it's over faster than the last election.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at the figures he will most likely become the Republican candidate but IMHO the numbers don't stack up for him to become President.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Obama comes across well and is a good speaker. However he has failed to legislate his domestic policies. On foreign policy he has been poor. He seemed to believe in the mirage of an Arab spring and the Islamists perceive him as weak.

This should put the Republicans in a strong position but they are cocking things up. It's similar to Britain where an unconvincing Tory government is being opposed by a bloke who belongs in 1970s student union politics.

Yoda

English & European
Obama comes across well and is a good speaker. However he has failed to legislate his domestic policies.

There in lye's the biggest problem with American politics. Although Obama won the presidency, Congress has a republican majority so had a hard time pushing his policies through. To the ill-informed, this make Obama look a bad president when all the time it's the opposition in the background derailing what he is trying to achieve.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There in lye's the biggest problem with American politics. Although Obama won the presidency, Congress has a republican majority so had a hard time pushing his policies through. To the ill-informed, this make Obama look a bad president when all the time it's the opposition in the background derailing what he is trying to achieve.

Something else to consider is that radical change in the US takes time for the reason you give plus others. For example Obama's healthcare policy was, relatively speaking, quite radical. No President is able to make such drastic changes so quickly so it was always going to be baby-steps with this and similar policy. That said the Cuba thing is quite a change. Personally I think, in the context of turning-an-oil-tanker-US-politics, he's done well.

Also, a few more terms of Democrat presidency and you'll see quite a different USA to the one Bush left.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Something else to consider is that radical change in the US takes time for the reason you give plus others. For example Obama's healthcare policy was, relatively speaking, quite radical. No President is able to make such drastic changes so quickly so it was always going to be baby-steps with this and similar policy. That said the Cuba thing is quite a change. Personally I think, in the context of turning-an-oil-tanker-US-politics, he's done well.

Also, a few more terms of Democrat presidency and you'll see quite a different USA to the one Bush left.

he's done crap, he was elected in on nothing but a load of empty promises,
he promised to put an end to guantanamo bay ..7 years on and still no sign of it gone. he also promised to withdraw US troops out of iraq, again that never materialized. he also promised a more prosperous and peaceful USA ..7 years on and the US finds itself in a far worse situation..
yeh this bloke has done tremendously well:facepalm:.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
he promised to put an end to guantanamo bay ..7 years on and still no sign of it gone. he also promised to withdraw US troops out of iraq, again that never materialized. he also promised a more prosperous and peaceful USA ..7 years on and the US finds itself in a far worse situation..

Considering the backwards way that American politics is done, it's a borderline miracle he managed to get anything done there. I know things are polarised here but over there right now it looks (from the outside, obviously) that neither party can get anything of consequence past the other as everyone's afraid of looking 'weak'.

I can see Trump getting the nomination, can't imagine he'd actually manage to win the whole thing

Also, does anyone have a clue how his plan to get Mexico to pay for the wall he wants to build is going to work? Ask nicely?

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
very reasoned debate on here regarding this. Donald Trump as president would be an unmitigated disaster further dividing an increasingly divisive world. I hope to god America see sense over this and soon!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Did you read any of my post? Or was it that you didn't understand it?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Did you read any of my post? Or was it that you didn't understand it?

yes you said something along the lines of giving him or the democrats more time for us to notice any change, the blokes had 7 f*cking years ffs:glare: and his country now finds itself in a worse situation than when he fist took office. some record that..

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I don't think Trump would be a good president at all but, I am enjoying the kick up the ass he is giving career politicians. Not every one is happy with snail paced politics in America.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In NY at the moment and saw the protests / counter protests and the protesters outweighed the supporters about 10-to-1 outside Trump Towers... Not that it will have any baring

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here