Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter weekend

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Used to be the case that at Easter, either on the Friday or the Monday, you’d be sure of seeing an Albion game live. Sort of broke up the weekend really. And I well remember one Easter when Albion under Peter Taylor played their socks off and virtually won promotion that year. I don’t know who organises the fixtures (and I know that Easter is ‘early’ this year) but surely it wouldn’t be beyond anyone’s comprehension to organise a proper Easter programme on the first Bank Holiday of the year. Instead some genius has decreed an ‘international break’ so that now we are all doomed to decorating or gardening or, heaven forbid, being nice to the family… Are we that worried about England playing the Netherlands a week on Tuesday? Eminently forgettable, I’d say.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Could not agree more....
Easter was always the BIG weekend and promotion/relegation often hung on a good Easter. I recall going to the Goldstone both Friday & Monday... Now, it is a blank......
I am getting sick of International Breaks for just friendliest.... Keep them to important games...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the 50s Easter had a big effect on promotion and relegation as we played 3 games Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday so then it was worth 6 points now would be 9.if a succesfu
weekend. Usually you played the same team home and away some time over Easter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Instead some genius has decreed an ‘international break’ so that now we are all doomed to decorating or gardening or, heaven forbid, being nice to the family…

that genius would be the Jewish Patriarchs that decided 3000 years ago their passover would be the first Sunday after the equinox.

if you missing the point, the internationals havent been moved, Easter moves.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I couldn't believe it when I saw there was absolutely no football over Easter.

Good Friday, Easter Saturday and Easter Monday are all traditional football days. This year nothing.

International friendlies are a pi55 poor alternative

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
that genius would be the Jewish Patriarchs that decided 3000 years ago their passover would be the first Sunday after the equinox.

I am sure I read that there are moves afoot to make Easter a set date each year. On the religious side how can a persons death be celebrated on different dates each year due to the moon.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I am going to get my Albion fix next Sat watching Burton Albion vs Oldham . Didn't get the chance to visit when we played last year. So another ground to the collection. .

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I am sure I read that there are moves afoot to make Easter a set date each year. On the religious side how can a persons death be celebrated on different dates each year due to the moon.

The Easter Act 1928 (c. 35) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom first passed in 1928, but not implemented.

The purpose of the Act is to provide a fixed date for Easter rather than the current moveable feast. The effect would be to establish Easter Sunday as the Sunday following the second Saturday in April, resulting in Easter Sunday being between 9 April and 15 April.

The Act is so phrased as to require the agreement of both the House of Commons and the House of Lords before the Government may issue a Commencement Order. It also requires the opinion of all relevant churches be taken into account although it does not require their consent. Although the subject is raised occasionally in Parliament, this agreement has not been achieved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On the religious side how can a persons death be celebrated on different dates each year due to the moon.

its based on the documented story that the crucifixition occured in an event that marked Passover, so it moves with that date. ironically this more substantial than the Chirstmas date, where there is bugger all evidence of when it occured and it just sits on a convienent day for the Romans and Germanic tribes, coinciding with Saturnalia and Yule.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
The Easter Act 1928 (c. 35) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom first passed in 1928, but not implemented.

The purpose of the Act is to provide a fixed date for Easter rather than the current moveable feast. The effect would be to establish Easter Sunday as the Sunday following the second Saturday in April, resulting in Easter Sunday being between 9 April and 15 April.

The Act is so phrased as to require the agreement of both the House of Commons and the House of Lords before the Government may issue a Commencement Order. It also requires the opinion of all relevant churches be taken into account although it does not require their consent. Although the subject is raised occasionally in Parliament, this agreement has not been achieved.

sod that... had enough easters fall on my birthday to last a lifetime! case in point was my 21st... back in the day when nothing opened on a sunday anyway, then didnt due to a holy day!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

That's not strictly true; it's the first Sunday, after the first full moon, after the spring equinox.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Taking the missus to a oldie worldy pub in Bourton on the Water for the week.
First holiday for two years.
I will get hammered and not remember a thing :ohmy:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

There is talk of such agreement being reached on a uniform date. Perhaps within the next decade.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In the 50s Easter had a big effect on promotion and relegation as we played 3 games Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday so then it was worth 6 points now would be 9.if a succesfu
weekend. Usually you played the same team home and away some time over Easter.

I am glad someone else remembers this, as all the modern football fans I talk to think senility has crept in when I tell them we played 3 games in 4 days! The tales of playing on Christmas Day have them reaching for the straight jacket.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Isn't the timing of the international friendlies also something to do with the Euros being held in June?

It's also the price of being in the top two divisions as Lges 1 & 2 are playing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am glad someone else remembers this, as all the modern football fans I talk to think senility has crept in when I tell them we played 3 games in 4 days! The tales of playing on Christmas Day have them reaching for the straight jacket.

You are right on both counts and Mike Tiddy a winger we got from Arsenal wouldnt play on either day as he was a church lay minister. Christmas Day was usually an 11.00am kick off.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Well then the internationals should move. Let's have a vote. England or Albion. I couldn't give a toss about England. Stupid international break has spoiled Easter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here