Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Curry - Suggestions...please?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My dad is visiting for a few days and I've booked a table at a popular local Indian place. He loves curries but I don't eat many. I like lots of flavour, not keen on having my brains blown out by too much spice but medium heat is perfect. Prefer tomato-based rather than rich creamy ones.

What meat do you go for, what kind of heat and dish do you normally prefer? Are veggie options all they're cracked up to be? Thinking this topic might already have been done half to death I tried searching but the search function on here is useless (seriously, I type in "favourite curry" and it gives me 13 pages of results including the match thread against Reading, what's with that?!)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
In the words of Tina Turner, Simply the Best.

Capture.JPG

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My favourite at the moment is a chicken tikka korai. Lots of flavour and not very hot as curries go. I lost my curry mojo a while back and didn't eat one for over a year but the korai is bringing it back.

I don't have rice either, I find it too filling so just have a cheese or keema naan bread with the curry on top.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

I may not be a curry coinnesseur but even I know you're having a yolk at my expense there. Please try harder next time :lolol:

I'm looking at the menu for this place and I see four different types of curry, each with two chillies next to them: WTH am I to make of dopiaza, masala, dansak and rogan Josh when they're all 2-chillies?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lamb is by far the best meat to curry. A danzak will be my recommendation.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
I'm looking at the menu for this place and I see four different types of curry, each with two chillies next to them: WTH am I to make of dopiaza, masala, dansak and rogan Josh when they're all 2-chillies?!

Briefly, dopiaza = onion based with onions cooked in two different ways, tikka masala = meat cooked in a tandoor with creamy red sauce containing tomato and coconut, dansak = lentil based sauce with some sweet and sour going on due to inclusion of sugar and lemon juice along with chilli powder, rogan josh = very tomato based sauce with red chillies. For better, more detailed descriptions of these and others see:
http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/glossary/curries.html
Which you like best comes down to personal preference and there are plenty of other types, including Goan or Bangladeshi fish curries, both of which are delicious. I'm fond of jalfrezis which are a little hotter than you're looking for or dansaks which should be just about right. If lots of tomato is the thing then Lamb Rogan Josh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here