Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Victoria Pendleton comes a creditable fifth at Cheltenham. Accident waiting to happen???

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Which is pretty impressive considering she only started riding about a year ago. I know a lot of people see her transition into a jockey as a bit of a gimmick but I think she might have proved those doubters wrong.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rode a really steady race out of trouble at the back of the field and then came strong at the end.

I suspect there may be criticism from some that she gave the horse too much to do at the end - it seemed to be the strongest finisher as they crossed the line and, with a better ride, could have placed higher or even won.

Fantastic achievement regardless and those who took evens that she'd get round today will be happy, I'm sure!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fantastic achievement regardless and those who took evens that she'd get round today will be happy, I'm sure!
Evens! Is that a joke?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She's hardly some tubby lump who wandered into a stable one day and said "give us a go, I bet I can do that".

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
She did extremely well in one of the toughest amateur races of the year, holding the horse up out of trouble and gradually brought it into the race to finish strongest of all. She was very unlucky not to snatch a place. Some would argue that it should have been closer to the pace, but it had never raced over that far before and was ridden to make sure it got the trip. Now that they know it does i'm sure it would be ridden closer to the pace next time and hopefully she can win a top contest on it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
She did extremely well in one of the toughest amateur races of the year, holding the horse up out of trouble and gradually brought it into the race to finish strongest of all. She was very unlucky not to snatch a place. Some would argue that it should have been closer to the pace, but it had never raced over that far before and was ridden to make sure it got the trip. Now that they know it does i'm sure it would be ridden closer to the pace next time and hopefully she can win a top contest on it.

This - looked as if the horse should have been pushed from about a furlong further out, but hey, that would have been something maybe an experienced jockey would have done. IMHO, the girl done well.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
As someone who has Hunted and Team Chased in the past, that was one hell of an achievement! Hats off to the horse though,what a thoroughly genuine and honest conveyance and tbf she's had the whole thing plotted out, top instructors, a horse owned and trained by people who know the time of day and gave her the opportunity - she should feel very honored. Of the ride, I thought the only way Pacha Du Polder would get 3m 2f would be in a horsebox and obviously she rode it accordingly considering the horse's stamina concerns and her inexperience.

The horse has actually ran a blinder and if you consider the winner has a rating of 147 and Pacha Du Polder has a rating of 141 and was only been beaten 3 lengths, on a handicapping basis they've performed well above the horse's mark, assuming the winner ran to his mark (save the race wasn't run to suit the winner with no breakneck gallop!)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The horse and everybody connected was fantastic. The 'experts' said she had no chance because the horse would not stay. How wrong they were. She gave the horse a really good ride. A true story of success which should not be knocked in any way.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Just looked back through the horse's form - Aintree last year, beaten 3 lengths by today's winner (over Pacha's probable optimum trip) and then next run was beaten 10 lengths by today's third over a similar trip to todays, both times Pacha ridden by Will Biddick. Today, the horse was beaten 3 lengths by the winner and got within 1 1/2 lengths of the horse that beat him by 10 lengths at Stratford!

So you could argue she's performed at least as well as a very experienced Amateur. If you look at the experienced Amateurs that beat her today.....Nina Carberry, Sam Waley-Cohen, Will Biddick and she was in front of Jamie Codd - all those have ridden countless winners.

I think that puts her fantastic achievement into perspective!

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Im afraid the accident has already happened here......

SNN2103AN--_1551595a.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here