Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irritating phone calls on my mobile

I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service on both landline and mobile. I am fairly relaxed with landline selling calls that I still get as I tend not to answer if caller display comes up with an unknown number or "Out of Area". However I am noticing an increasing number of unsolicited calls on my mobile, four over the last few days from places, identified by my phone, as diverse as Caernarfon, Ardrossan, and Watchet in Somerset! They are really irritating as they seem to arrive which I am either driving or in a shop.

Innovative and perhaps some sensible suggestions welcomed regarding this.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I just don't answer now if I do not know who is calling. If it is that important, they will leave a message.

I see some UK company was fined recently for nuisance calling - 48m phone calls they made in 3 months! Unsolicited calls obviously work then.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I just don't answer now if I do not know who is calling. If it is that important, they will leave a message.

I see some UK company was fined recently for nuisance calling - 48m phone calls they made in 3 months! Unsolicited calls obviously work then.

Completely agree with both of these. I deal with in the same way. I also enter a block on them but lo and behold they manage to ring again the next day!!!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I get approx 5 nuisance calls per week.
All of them asking me to claim for injury (that never happened) or PPI (which I've never had).

The irony being that my job is to identify and close down these rogue cold-calling 'companies'.

I just block each number after every call, but they keep coming back.
They're like bedbugs, can only get rid if you throw your sim out and get a brand new one and hope for the best.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service on both landline and mobile. I am fairly relaxed with landline selling calls that I still get as I tend not to answer if caller display comes up with an unknown number or "Out of Area". However I am noticing an increasing number of unsolicited calls on my mobile, four over the last few days from places, identified by my phone, as diverse as Caernarfon, Ardrossan, and Watchet in Somerset! They are really irritating as they seem to arrive which I am either driving or in a shop.

Innovative and perhaps some sensible suggestions welcomed regarding this.

I either politely get rid of them or just stay silent while they say their speech and then hang up.
I then immediately got to my call register, find the number and block caller.
I've probably done this for about 20 numbers so far.
It wont stop them but seems to have lessened them, its especially good for the ones who despite having been told several times that I'm on the TPS and want removing from their list continue to call.. an insurance company with a local 01444 code being one of the worst offenders... now blocked...

Edit: I only have a mobile so not sure how to block on a landline.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They're like bedbugs, can only get rid if you throw your sim out and get a brand new one and hope for the best.

That is absolutely right. I was getting several of these calls a day. When I changed my phone, I also changed my number which was a little annoying, however it was less annoying than the stupid calls and now since October last year I've not had a single spam call!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. People should just refuse to take cold calls. Even if the caller is selling something I want, I won't deal with them on principle, I'll think 'oo that would be useful, I'll google for it'.

If everyone was like us, the calls would stop.

Oh and what really ****ing annoys me is when I get a call by a machine that then tries to put me through to a human, because it's ok to waste my time waiting for them to answer, but it's not ok to waste their time waiting for me to answer. So when that happens, I just leave the phone on the table until they hang up. ****s.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Indeed. People should just refuse to take cold calls. Even if the caller is selling something I want, I won't deal with them on principle, I'll think 'oo that would be useful, I'll google for it'.

If everyone was like us, the calls would stop.

I wanna be like uuuuuu

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I blame the companies that are supposed to close them down. They get paid to close these places down, and they just don't bother, they just play swing-ball in the office.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I get approx 5 nuisance calls per week.
All of them asking me to claim for injury (that never happened) or PPI (which I've never had).

The irony being that my job is to identify and close down these rogue cold-calling 'companies'.

I just block each number after every call, but they keep coming back.

I blame the companies that are supposed to close them down. They get paid to close these places down, and they just don't bother, they just play swing-ball in the office.

:tosser:

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Completely agree with both of these. I deal with in the same way. I also enter a block on them but lo and behold they manage to ring again the next day!!!

Fining them doesn't work either! This particular company just went bust and the directors set up all over again.

It's about time this was made a criminal offence with sanctions to match, including putting the b*****ds in jail.....!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I've had a couple of calls to my mobile recently from accident/claim managements companies, which display a phone number rather than number with held. They even know my name for some reason.

Their script was the same both times, = I have been passed your file and you have not received sufficient compensation for your recent accident.

Rather than just ending the call I have been having some fun, by asking questions such as

Q. when was this?

A. In the last three years

Q. No when was it?

A. I don't have/need that information

Q But you have been passed a file, this must contain such detail?

A, I've been passed the file by your main insurer

Q. OK, but when was the accident, what vehicle was I driving, and who are my main insurers

A1. Phone call ended by caller
A2 I will need to ask another department and will call you back in 30 minutes

i,m still waiting for the call back.

My aim is to see how long I can keep them on the phone for.

They seem to be changing numbers all the time, as I have about 6/7 ignore numbers currently but seem to be new ones all the time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do, but your post was totally inaccurate and unjustified.

I'd never play swing-ball in the office as I'm on NSC all day.
Well of course I understand that we each waste time in our own way, swing-ball isn't for everyone. Not sure what the smiley was all about though, I was obviously joking.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its been over a year since my car had its bumper dented in a car park and despite the fact that I was 25 metres away from the car at the time I am STILL getting these :tosser: ring me on my mobile trying to defraud my insurance company by pretending I was injured. Apparently I don't even need a note from my doctor as long as I say I took some pain killers for a few days after I can get up to £5K.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Its been over a year since my car had its bumper dented in a car park and despite the fact that I was 25 metres away from the car at the time I am STILL getting these :tosser: ring me on my mobile trying to defraud my insurance company by pretending I was injured. Apparently I don't even need a note from my doctor as long as I say I took some pain killers for a few days after I can get up to £5K.

It's ridiculous.
I love leading them on, getting their script and then letting them know that I'll be sending their personal and company information to the FCA and Ministry of Justice. Great fun.

& Trig, I was playing the "Without cheating" game and it's the only one I could remember apart from :shootself !
:kiss: <- I had to look up this one.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Literally just got one from 020 7946 1112.
Inquiring about the injury I suffered during the car crash I was involved in within the last 3 years.

Politely reassured them that due to being an extraordinarily talented driver, I'd never be involved in any such incident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here