Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Marriage Allowance

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Just a gentle nudge for anyone with a low/no income earning partner - or parents/in laws in that position. Don't miss some easy money.

Using the new Marriage Allowance enables low earners (under £10,600 in 2015/16) to transfer £1,060 in personal allowance to their partners - saving £212. It takes just a few minutes on this HMRC link and if its done before 4th April they get the benefit for the tax year just finishing as well as the future.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance?gclid=CNe7m47Ux8sCFVTNGwodyUIEhg

This had passed me by until Martin Lewis mentioned it on 5 Live the other day. Just done it for my in-laws who are now a bit richer - son-in-law brownie points earned!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a pathetically small amount though. The whole lot should be done jointly, not just £1,060 of it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's a pathetically small amount though. The whole lot should be done jointly, not just £1,060 of it.

Rather than just be pleased about a small good thing, you would rather have some more for free that somebody else will end up paying for? :sigh:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just a gentle nudge for anyone with a low/no income earning partner - or parents/in laws in that position. Don't miss some easy money.

Using the new Marriage Allowance enables low earners (under £10,600 in 2015/16) to transfer £1,060 in personal allowance to their partners - saving £212. It takes just a few minutes on this HMRC link and if its done before 4th April they get the benefit for the tax year just finishing as well as the future.

This had passed me by until Martin Lewis mentioned it on 5 Live the other day. Just done it for my in-laws who are now a bit richer - son-in-law brownie points earned!

Did this end of last year, even though my wife is not working.
Also, as I wear a company uniform and wash it, I have claimed back the tax for that purpose, as per link below:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/uniform-tax-rebate

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Rather than just be pleased about a small good thing, you would rather have some more for free that somebody else will end up paying for? :sigh:

Well I am (mildly) pleased but your point makes no sense. Of course someone else should pay for it.

A married couple where one person is earning £55,000 and one is earning £15,000 should pay the same tax as a married couple earning £35,000 each.

This new rule suggests recognition of this fact but is only a piecemeal and illogical implementation of the solution. When my wife (currently on maternity leave) earns the same as me, I'll be happy to pay a little more tax to pay for people who don't have that luxury.

So sorry if I'm not delighted by an extra £17/month (maximum) in my pocket.

Sigh to you too.

/end of rant.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well I am (mildly) pleased but your point makes no sense. Of course someone else should pay for it.

A married couple where one person is earning £55,000 and one is earning £15,000 should pay the same tax as a married couple earning £35,000 each.

This new rule suggests recognition of this fact but is only a piecemeal and illogical implementation of the solution. When my wife (currently on maternity leave) earns the same as me, I'll be happy to pay a little more tax to pay for people who don't have that luxury.

Sigh to you too.

/end of rant.

I take a totally different view from you both. I don't think there should be any relief for being married. Why should they get reliefs that single people don't ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Sigh to you too.

/end of rant.

£17 a month, yes I am mildly pleased with that as well.
Delighted? Perhaps not, but it is nice to get anything from the jolly taxman.:)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I take a totally different view from you both. I don't think there should be any relief for being married. Why should they get reliefs that single people don't ?

I agree with this. And even with this small relief, I don't know why non-religious people bother with getting married.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I agree with this. And even with this small relief, I don't know why non-religious people bother with getting married.

Oh well, that is a view held by some and I think the arguments for and against have been done to death.
Anyway, 'tis up to the individuals and as far as my wife and I are concerned,we wanted to get married and we are totally non religious.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Sigh to you too.

/end of rant.

So if £17 per month is so insignificant to you then you won't mind donating it to someone who appreciates it more than you?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

The earner need to earn under 42,300 I think to claim.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Whether you are religious or not, marriage is a good thing because two people are publicly committing themselves to each other for life, which in my opinion, the the best and securest place for children to be born and raised. I appreciate that everything doesn't always work out for the best, but anything that helps families is a good thing and makes for better and stronger communities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whether you are religious or not, marriage is a good thing because two people are publicly committing themselves to each other for life,

which they can uncommit themselves from a few years later. in practice it shows about as much commitment as a footballer's contract.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What has religion got to do with it?
Because for religious people, marriage is an important commitment to however their God is, and one that they believe can't be undone (and they can start having guilt free sex).

For non religious people, it's not a commitment at all; it's very easy to get divorced. I've never thought of a good reason to be married, and no-one has been able to give me one either.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Because for religious people, marriage is an important commitment to however their God is, and one that they believe can't be undone (and they can start having guilt free sex).

For non religious people, it's not a commitment at all; it's very easy to get divorced. I've never thought of a good reason to be married.

Well I'm the least religious person you will ever meet and I see my marriage as a commitment to my wife, nothing to do with any god. 25 years so far and hopefully many more to come.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well I'm the least religious person you will ever meet and I see my marriage as a commitment to my wife, nothing to do with any god. 25 years so far and hopefully many more to come.
Look I'm not dissing people who have civil weddings, I just can't see any tangible difference between making a personal commitment to each other and doing the same thing with state involvement (and paying £70 for the pleasure).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here