Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you use a small Utility Supplier ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We have been with Ovo Energy for around five years. Find their customer service good and their pricing to a degree understandable. Their CEO seems to come across well when interviewed as to the Utility industry. However still up for a move if a better deal is around ? You ?:bowdown:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Yes. I'm with Verne Troyer Energy.

Dual supply deal on direct debit working out at only one billion dollars for a full year's supply.

No problems so far.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Use ovo too. Great website and always accurate bills. Customer services good when needed too

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Used Spark Energy in my first flat. Useless company that tried to sting me for a few hundred pounds months after I left the flat. Luckily I could prove it was rubbish and they were borderline crooks

Put me off smaller companies for good

Jan 30, 2008
Used Spark Energy in my first flat. Useless company that tried to sting me for a few hundred pounds months after I left the flat. Luckily I could prove it was rubbish and they were borderline crooks

Put me off smaller companies for good
did you get signed up on your door step with them ???
regards
DR

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am just about to leave OVO. Customer service good, nice web page, etc etc but the reality is they are simply not cheap anymore. I do agree you need to be a bit cautious in jumping to a brand new small supplier and to be prepared for a bit of pain getting a new supplier set up. But paying over the odds to OVO for a vanilla commodity struck me as pointless.

I may be reporting back with my tail between my legs in a few months. Lets see.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am just about to leave OVO. Customer service good, nice web page, etc etc but the reality is they are simply not cheap anymore. I do agree you need to be a bit cautious in jumping to a brand new small supplier and to be prepared for a bit of pain getting a new supplier set up. But paying over the odds to OVO for a vanilla commodity struck me as pointless.

I may be reporting back with my tail between my legs in a few months. Lets see.

I've just switched to OVO and they were definitely one of the cheapest for me.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I've just joined OVO (end of Jan) and as said before one of the top three cheapest for me. But to have a customer service that don't keep you on hold for hours and a billing system that doesn't up your bill by four time the normal bill overnight is quite frankly priceless

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ovo was the cheapest for me when I bought a new place recently. Also, they're paying me 3% on credit balances too...better than most savings accounts (capped at 12x your normal DD amount, but still)...

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Don't really understand how OVO is cheapest unless it is arbitrarily different by location. I am seeing TCRs (tariff comparison rates) for gas at OVO of 3.18p, compared with (for example) Npower of 2.85p, extraenergy of 2.71p, flow energy 2.84p. So thats one of the Big 6 cheaper and two small (new) suppliers cheaper. I could type more but you get the idea.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Have jumped from First Utility to Sainsbury's Energy to Co-Op energy in each of the last three years (the switch to Co-Op is going through now). Never had a problem with any of them. Have just taken the best price deal available at the end of fixed tariff.

Investigated "green" options for the first time this year but the cheapest came in £300 more than the regular option. I would love to be able to take up the renewable option but just cannot take that kind of hit right now.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Have been considering a move from on of the big boys to one of the smaller ones.

However, whilst the unit rate for fuels is cheaper with the smaller companies, the daily standing rate is a lot dearer with them.

So, in the end is there much difference between the big and small companies?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Have jumped from First Utility to Sainsbury's Energy to Co-Op energy in each of the last three years (the switch to Co-Op is going through now). Never had a problem with any of them. Have just taken the best price deal available at the end of fixed tariff.

I have also moved several times, to big and small suppliers. Never had any problems until I switched to Co-op last year. They put in a new billing system. Ironically, I never received a bill until 3 months after I left them. They couldn't give me online access for the first 6 months because their system couldn't send e-mails to Gmail accounts. I left 5 months ago. Hopefully they have sorted themselves out now.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I have also moved several times, to big and small suppliers. Never had any problems until I switched to Co-op last year. They put in a new billing system. Ironically, I never received a bill until 3 months after I left them. They couldn't give me online access for the first 6 months because their system couldn't send e-mails to Gmail accounts. I left 5 months ago. Hopefully they have sorted themselves out now.

Uh-oh! :eek:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

I moved to Co-Op about 6 months ago and no problems. The online meter readings interface is a little bit dated, but it works. They've just emailed me to tell me my direct debit is going down from £72 to £60 a month dual fuel, so happy to stick with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here