Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reading match report

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
As ever, if you'd like to read it, click here... http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?603-Albion-1-0-Reading-15-03-2016

The Albion team changes were intriguing – one obvious and essential - the return of King Beram Kayal in place of Steve Sidwell. The other unforced – James Wilson’s pace for Tomer Hemed’s guile. Hemed could consider himself hugely unfortunate, having been in excellent form recently – indeed nominated for the Championship Player of the Month, for February. Chris Hughton would have explained the clear thinking though – the strengths and deficiencies of Reading’s centre back pairing of McShane and Ferdinand are writ large. Big and strong, but slow and cumbersome, and uncomfortable on the ball.

Hughton made exactly the same call last season, pairing Baldock with the out of favour Mackail-Smith, to terrorise a couple of lumbering Leeds stoppers. It worked to devastating effect that night, so clear logic to the selection.

The Reading team sheet was encouragingly positive – Hal Robson-Kanu and Ola John wide, in support of front pair Kermorgant and Vydra. I say encouraging, as to my thinking, we have performed better against sides willing to attack us, than those who set up to defend. Attacking – but nothing to fear. I’d watched the Reading cup game on TV Friday night, and my main conclusions were that Ali Al Habsi is in good form, that the hugely limited Michael Hector is absolutely not a midfielder, that Ola John’s full Holland cap must have been a prank or a betting scam, and that Hal Robson-Kanu is enormous. And angry.

And shit.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Perfect report except Hector was, and is, shit

I think 'hugely limited' covers it, tbh. Playing within those limitations at CB he's capable of doing a solid job, but not in midfield where a little poise is more essential. Christ knows what Chelsea thought they'd seen.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great report as always. I find myself agreeing with every word (don't know if that's good for you or not though ;) )

I'm glad you've mentioned Hughton's obvious tactics with going for pace against 2 older, slow centre backs as he deserves credit as it worked well. this report also made me realise Baldock set up our 3 best opportunities - he was class last night, can't believe someone was saying he did nothing of note on here :lol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unlike Sheebo I know f'all about football although I've watching it longer than him. If I didn't sit round people like him my major observation of the other night would be to the Reading kit man.

Don't mix your coloured washing with your whites.

What the hell were they wearing ?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Unlike Sheebo I know f'all about football although I've watching it longer than him. If I didn't sit round people like him my major observation of the other night would be to the Reading kit man.

Don't mix your coloured washing with your whites.

What the hell were they wearing ?

Wasn't great was it?

Not the worst though. Bolton's orange one was nasty and someone had a grim grey one last season?

Quite liked Birmingham's 'Belgium' job.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Wasn't great was it?

Not the worst though. Bolton's orange one was nasty and someone had a grim grey one last season?

Quite liked Birmingham's 'Belgium' job.
Remember King Cov's brown effort from the early '80s? Still #1 in my book. Brilliantly bad...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here