Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I being a miserable old git

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
For the last two home games a couple of chaps have come and sat behind me in the north stand. No problem so far :) the thing is that just after kick off they will start rabbiting on and on and on about anything and everything no matter how mind numbingly boring it is and they will do it as loudly as they can, the game is of secondary importance. I have picked up that they are work colleagues because they chat about every detail of their day what happened at work, who said what and why etc, occasionally it will be football based ie where did Newcastle finish in the 1975 season and who played in goal for them etc etc

The only relief is when we're attacking the goal or if they are drowned out by the fans around us singing during which they'll get even louder as if the singing is interruption of their conversation. Honestly it goes on all game and it's driving me absolutely fcucking nuts. Am I becoming intolerant or would it pee off some others too.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I had a group of about 5/6 lads in their mid teens behind me in the North stand a few seasons back, they spent the whole game on their phones or play fighting like a bunch of 10 year olds.. After spending the whole game not actually watching it, they would then leave 10 minutes before full time.. What was the point in coming?!?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People go to the football for different reasons, some to irritate those surrounding them as much as they possibly can. It wouldn't be so bad if it's just football talk, even if disagreeable dross it's still tolerable. Already moved once because of it, so no you're not being miserable.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
That must be frustrating if youve come to watch a game of football though...

I'll raise you though....also being in the North, the guys next to me invite 6 or 7 of their friends to join them standing by their seats for the game. So instead of having two people next to me I have about 7 or 8 every game meaning there is no space to move. They generally start smoking near the half time whistle too, which is another thing I cannot stand.

Now THAT is annoying

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For the last two home games a couple of chaps have come and sat behind me in the north stand. No problem so far :) the thing is that just after kick off they will start rabbiting on and on and on about anything and everything no matter how mind numbingly boring it is and they will do it as loudly as they can, the game is of secondary importance. I have picked up that they are work colleagues because they chat about every detail of their day what happened at work, who said what and why etc, occasionally it will be football based ie where did Newcastle finish in the 1975 season and who played in goal for them etc etc

The only relief is when we're attacking the goal or if they are drowned out by the fans around us singing during which they'll get even louder as if the singing is interruption of their conversation. Honestly it goes on all game and it's driving me absolutely fcucking nuts. Am I becoming intolerant or would it pee off some others too.

No definitely not
When I go visit my parents in Bexhill, usually have a meal in the Waterfront club on the sea front.
In the restaurant there are a lot of people trying to talk to each other, this very good when you cannot here what you are saying, then the onus is to talk louder just so you can be heard.
Before you know its bloody chaos with noise.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
No definitely not
When I go visit my parents in Bexhill, usually have a meal in the Waterfront club on the sea front.
In the restaurant there are a lot of people trying to talk to each other, this very good when you cannot here what you are saying, then the onus is to talk louder just so you can be heard.
Before you know its bloody chaos with noise.

You should try that silent restustant where no one is allowed to talk.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Completely empathise.

Went to see a band that I'm a big fan of in London a couple of months back - it was their first UK gig in about 7 years.

These two girls in front of me at no point faced the front. They spent the entire evening trying to shout over the music to each other about their social lives, mucking about with photo apps on their phones etc. They could've done the EXACT same thing and had exactly the same amount of fun doing that in one of their houses. The gig was a complete irrelevance to them.

As a Mark Corrigan, I was silently SEETHING but obviously did absolutely NOTHING about this.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Hey, you get this sort of thing everywhere. Had it at Twickenham once, idoits behind us were loud, droning on about what hospitality they have had, no interest in the rugby at all. They even spoke, and loudly too, about how many times a day they took a dump!! That was only a one off for us, but if these boring ...ks have taken residence behind you I do feel sorry for you. Its either confrontation or ear defenders.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I guess it depends ont he people. Some will have literally met just before the game and then be having a chat and catching up.

One of my best friends lives in Brighton so when I manage to get down we will meet at the stadium. We will usually have a chin wag for the first 5-10 minutes and then get into the game and chat at half time/at the pub after.

We usually try meet up an hour or so before kick off to have the proper catch up but its not always possible. Working together you don't have much excuse though and if it is all game you have every right to be annoyed

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Sounds exactly like some guys who used to sit behind us at Withdean. We heard all sorts about their jobs, their wives, their girlfriends, the whole lot. Could have blackmailed one of them if I'd been like that. Annoying. Football is for the football. Have you tried glaring at them?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Some fella was in my seat in East Upper last night, joined by two or three others next to him ------------------I let it go:moo:

I spent my normal 95 minutes efffing & blinding which included my normal jumping up and down screaming at the pathetic linesman/ref - and telling Houghton to go to plan B-------------FFS!

At one point I thought the bloke was dead-----not a murmur WTF :mad:

I am a miserable old git:)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Completely empathise.

Went to see a band that I'm a big fan of in London a couple of months back - it was their first UK gig in about 7 years.

These two girls in front of me at no point faced the front. They spent the entire evening trying to shout over the music to each other about their social lives, mucking about with photo apps on their phones etc. They could've done the EXACT same thing and had exactly the same amount of fun doing that in one of their houses. The gig was a complete irrelevance to them.

As a Mark Corrigan, I was silently SEETHING but obviously did absolutely NOTHING about this.

This annoys me also and seems to be mostly found at large venues.

Saw Springsteen a few years ago and when he started playing less familiar stuff if you were just a casual fan or ticking the gig off a list, two women spent the whole time chatting about nothing of importance effectively pushing the music into the background, totally ruining the experience when all you want to do is listen and enjoy the music.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here